• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) Scheduled passenger services that terminate after 2am in the morning

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Verulamius

Thameslink between Bedford and Three Bridges run hourly throughout the night.

9W90 Horsham to Peterborough arrives at Peterborough at 0221

moogal

Plenty of commuter belt services from London around that time period - e.g. the 0139 Euston to Milton Keynes Central arrives in MK at 0246

stadler

The last train of the day from Bedford and London to Brighton arrives Brighton at 02:28 and runs seven days a week.

HarryF

The 23:33 London King’s Cross to Leeds is scheduled to arrive at Leeds at 02:21

liamf656

EMR run 1F87 which leaves St Pancras at 23:05 and arrives at Derby at 02:01 on non-engineering days. If there are engineering works it could arrive up to 40 minutes later. This week its going via Stenson and arrives at 02:25

OliverH68

1B01 0105 Waterloo - So'ton arrives at 0249 Sat AM, and at 0256 Sun AM.

2K79 0142 Waterloo - Twickenham arrives at 0223 Sat/Sun AM.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 2335 SWR service (train ID: 2B77) from London Waterloo sometimes terminates at Bournemouth at 0201 on certain nights of the week.

Harvey B

Transpennine Express run a few overnight services between York and Manchester

Jamesrob637

Established Member
0139 Euston to Milton Keynes Central, arriving 0246. Every night but Saturday. This unit doesn't "go to bed", rather it works back to Euston at 0330.

Wouldn't 01:39 make sense on a Saturday too? Lots go pubbing and clubbing until around 1am in London: staying up until the wee hours doesn't interest the majority nowadays (never really did to be fair)

A S Leib

00.39 from Chester - Holyhead arrives into Holyhead at 02.24
Which doesn't make tonnes of sense to me when there's a 02:15 to Dublin then nothing that direction for six hours (although presumably 02:04 would be too tight to get to the ferry terminal and through security).

Veteran Member
Wouldn't 01:39 make sense on a Saturday too? Lots go pubbing and clubbing until around 1am in London: staying up until the wee hours doesn't interest the majority nowadays (never really did to be fair)
It runs (says RTT) as 5 separate RRBs as far as Milton Keynes C, while the engineers do their nocturnal business.

D6975

Established Member
Which doesn't make tonnes of sense to me when there's a 02:15 to Dublin then nothing that direction for six hours (although presumably 02:04 would be too tight to get to the ferry terminal and through security).
Is this an example of the railways hopelessly failing to keep up with changes to the ferry timetables? I remember doing the overnight New St-Holyhead ( arr 02:XX) behind a 37 then sailing to Ireland on the 04:10 from Holyhead back in the 90s. It wouldn't surprise me if the ferry times changed years ago and the trains stayed the same.

A S Leib

Is this an example of the railways hopelessly failing to keep up with changes to the ferry timetables? I remember doing the overnight New St-Holyhead ( arr 02:XX) behind a 37 then sailing to Ireland on the 04:10 from Holyhead back in the 90s. It wouldn't surprise me if the ferry times changed years ago and the trains stayed the same.
The plus side is that there's also an 00:51 arrival from Cardiff (22:56 from Chester) and an hour and twenty minutes seems a reasonable time to leave to get onto the ferry. I'm also not sure whether or not there is still an 04:×× in the summer; at this time of year, even during the holidays, I can't say it sounds massively attractive.

EMR run 1F87 which leaves St Pancras at 23:05 and arrives at Derby at 02:01 on non-engineering days. If there are engineering works it could arrive up to 40 minutes later. This week its going via Stenson and arrives at 02:25

To add to this, on weeknights, there is also a 23:35 St Pancras to Nottingham, running via the Manton route, reversing at Leicester, and usually arriving in Nottingham at 02:19, although like the above service, the arrival time is often changed to be anytime between then and 03:00.

During disruption on Friday 8th December (into Sat 9th), it only left St Pancras at 00:41 and appears to have been sent 'the normal way' via Market Harborough, arriving at Nottingham only 6 mins later than the planned 02:32.

As has been mentioned a few times on this forum, there was also an 00:15 to Derby until quite recently.

MontyP

There are still some all-night GWR services between Paddington and Reading.

Alex365Dash

The last train of the day from Bedford and London to Brighton arrives Brighton at 02:28 and runs seven days a week.
This service actually runs six days a week - on Saturday night/Sunday morning, the Thameslink core is closed.

Southern run night trains on Saturday nights between London Victoria and Three Bridges, as well as a train departing London Victoria at 01:08 on Sunday morning to Brighton via Hove, arriving at Hove 02:39 and Brighton 02:47.

MP393

I get that, but why not do it on (say) Sunday night/Monday morning instead of over the weekend?

I would suggest because the implications of an overrun on a Sunday morning are less so that hitting the commuters on a Monday morning.

They also have longer on a Sat/Sun night, as the services start up later on a Sunday morning than they do Monday morning where typically services all over run a lot earlier.

Howardh

Established Member
That's what I'll be doing as soon as new year starts, hope those late trains back to Milton Keynes are reliable!! Much cheaper to stay in MK and "commute" to London for a night out.