• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Seeing train ahead on green signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

arabianights

Is there anywhere on the network (I'm thinking ECML around Thirsk maybe?) where a driver can be travelling at 125mph on green signals but still be able to see the train in front (on the same line)? If not, where could be the fastest a driver is safely going and be seeing the train in front? If so, does some situation like this exist on HS2 and actually the speed could be even higher?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Is there anywhere on the network (I'm thinking ECML around Thirsk maybe?) where a driver can be travelling at 125mph on green signals but still be able to see the train in front (on the same line)? If not, where could be the fastest a driver is safely going and be seeing the train in front? If so, does some situation like this exist on HS2 and actually the speed could be even higher?

Eh, this isnt on a high limit but Edinburgh Haymarket you can clearly see trains on the same line.

MAYBE thirsk or northallerton, I am not sure but as Northy is just a two platform station is is unlikely thirsk will see this, considering facing 4 tracks with 2 platforms.
Im sure i have seen a youtube video of two pendies on the same track as cheddington, as it is only just outside london on the west coast mainline.

Gatwick airport is also a good one to see two on the same track. Especially on the fast as in peak times i believe it is busy as heck.

paul1609

Established Member
There are loads of places where this is possible on the Ashford to Tunbridge line (100 mph) In the peak trains are flighted through South London so a Charing Cross train is only a few minutes behind a Canon St one.

Johncleesefan

between newoprt and cardiff. lots of straight section. never seen the train ahead but you can see a couple of signal sections ahead.

leaving portsmouth harbour you would definately see the train ahead if heavy traffic, sections are about a 200 yards eachs towards southsea haha

highdyke

Coventry to Birmingham is another.

Drivers have to be careful not to 'overread' signals, IE be looking beyond a green signal immediately ahead and spot a change of aspect, which would be quite valid.

Incidentally automatic route setting (ARS) likes to keep 2 greens clear ahead at most places.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
When I went to see the 68s at New Street yesterday, I could see two trains in the tunnel under the NIA etc that eere going the same way. I had never seen this before at this location, but it doesn't really count for this thread because the rear train wasn't moving.

Lockwood

between newoprt and cardiff. lots of straight section. never seen the train ahead but you can see a couple of signal sections ahead.

leaving portsmouth harbour you would definately see the train ahead if heavy traffic, sections are about a 200 yards eachs towards southsea haha

I was thinking this, but OP did mention 125mph. Don't think you'd get that speed there.

There must be several places across the national network where you have short blocks where you'd have a green signal and see the one up ahead?

Deepgreen

Established Member
None so far quoted where four+ sections at 125mph can be seen. Probably not possible anywhere, owing to horizon visibility - at train cab height (say eight feet above ground), the horizon is approximately three miles away, and 125mph sections are, I believe, typically around a mile long.

driver_m

Established Member
Seen tail lights just disappear at Kilsby and seen all 4 aspects when on the down. It's fairly regular to see this sequence of aspects at the location but almost impossible to see the train too, due to keeping sufficient distance from the train in front (in order not to encounter double yellows earlier)

Cov- Rugby would be the best one as there is plenty of space but it would require two 125mph services to be very close together which barring delays, doesn't happen.

theironroad

Established Member

If the train is coming out the harbour at 125 then you've bigger problems to worry about than whether you can see a train in front as most of your train would be inthe Navy's sport ground.

sjoh

Between New Cross Gate and Sydenham - slow lines, but I imagine possible on fasts if traffic is heavy.
(Granted they won't be at 125mph, obviously)

Last edited:

Skoodle

Between New Cross Gate and Sydenham - slow lines, but I imagine possible on fasts if traffic is heavy.
(Granted they won't be at 125mph, obviously)

Between NXG and Sydenham, the sections are quite long and a fair few curves that prohibit being able to see a train ahead on greens aspect. Only place you can really is between Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park, but that's if you're right behind and creeping up on a red!

Hoxton to Dalston Junction on the other hand! ;)

Trog

Established Member
Pitstone to Hospital Bridge on the WCML Dn Fast 34 1/4MP to 39MP? Or does the slight kink at Cheddington spoil the sight line.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Pitstone to Hospital Bridge on the WCML Dn Fast 34 1/4MP to 39MP? Or does the slight kink at Cheddington spoil the sight line.

I don't know about a kink, but as I mentioned in post 10, the horizon is approximately three miles away from any observer at train cab height, so the distance you quote would not be possible.

Established Member
I don't know about a kink, but as I mentioned in post 10, the horizon is approximately three miles away from any observer at train cab height, so the distance you quote would not be possible.

Would a greater distance be visible if you were looking from the cab of a train that was at the top of a downhill gradient, and after almost three miles the track gradually began to rise again?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Again not a 125mph line, but the driver of a down train coming round the shallow curve just before Raynes Park station would be able to see far enough ahead to see the tail lamps of the preceding train while still being under a green signal.

Phil.

Established Member
It was perfectly - perhaps it still is - possible to see the full signal sequence R - Y - YY - G following a train along the down Lea Valley line from Northumberland Park in the dark.

Trog

Established Member

There are a couple of changes of gradient at Three Arches and about Ledburn Junction that would at least partly counteract the curvature of the earth. Certainly you can see trains come through Cheddington Station 36MP standing on the track even a bit north of the 39MP. Not sure how far beyond Cheddington you can see as the field of view through the station buildings and the over bridge there is narrow, and I have not made a point of ever checking.

Certainly with an over keen look-out you could die of boredom waiting for even a 125MPH train to reach you as you stood in the cess at Hospital Bridge.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It was perfectly - perhaps it still is - possible to see the full signal sequence R - Y - YY - G following a train along the down Lea Valley line from Northumberland Park in the dark.

Further north, virtually only the curvature of the earth stops you seeing Brimsdown station from Slipe Lane Level Crossing (just south of Broxbourne). The line is bolt straight between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.