• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Services between namesake stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
On Southeastern, I guess Dartford to Deptford are fairly similar...

duncanp

Established Member
What about Hayes & Harlington to either Hayes or Harlington?

There is also :-

St Margarets (Hertfordshire) and St Margarets (Middlesex)

Earlswood (Surrey) and Earlswood (West Midlands)

duncanp

Established Member
Not to mention Berwick (Sussex) to North Berwick (East Lothian)

In the same area, I wonder if Hampden Park (near Eastbourne) ever gets people looking for the football stadium in Glasgow?

Established Member
I think the OP has asked for direct trains between namesake stations or from the same station - a lot of more recent replies have just given the name of stations in completely different parts of the country that never had and probably never will have direct trains between each other.

So for example, you could say that in the future, there will be direct trains to both Brent Cross and Brentwood.

duncanp

Established Member
On the DLR, you have Royal Victoria to Royal Albert, Beckton Park to Beckton, and Stratford International, Stratford and Stratford High Street.

On the tube, there is Wimbledon to Wimbledon Park

ls2270

Established Member
The former Wales and West Waterloo to Manchester service of the early 2000s passed through both Whitchurch (Hampshire) and Whitchurch (Shropshire)!

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Wonder if CrossCountry served Oxford AND Manchester Oxford Road?...

Yes - a few years ago there were actually services that terminated at Oxford Road. Unfortunately the name wasn’t recorded in the Oxford PIS, so the announcements went: “The next train at platform 2 is the 1915 Virgin Trains service to. Calling at Banbury, Leamington Spa (...), Manchester Piccadilly and.”

Carrhill

Since the completion of the Ordsal Chord some TPE services call at Manchester Victoria, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly & Manchester Airport.

aye2beeviasea

GCR did Nottingham Victoria to Sheffield Victoria.

In the mid 1960's, I caught a "boat train" from Bradford Exchange to Liverpool Exchange for the IOM ferry. It would have passed through Manchester Exchange but I think without stopping. None of these stations exist anymore and the name "Exchange" is now "bereft of life and pushing up the daisies". Wrexham Exchange has now, of course, been subsumed into Wrexham General.
Just stumbled back on this thread. 108 replies and only 2 actual answers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.