• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Services that you wouldn't expect to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
It's an Orcats Raid on London to Leeds revenue.

Can you offer any substance to that argument?

The fact that they are serviced at Neville Hill seems the more logical and indeed the decisive factor.

If what you're saying is correct, then EMT or its successor will be keen to keep these services post-HST, which seems counterintuitive and goes against what everyone else seems to think.

pemma

Veteran Member
Southport to Chester via Stockport currently Sundays only but pre-Manchester Airport station opening happened daily.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You'd be surprised how many Japanese tourists used this to visit the Lakes. Assuming they go via Heathrow as Manchester doesn't have direct flights, unless via Finnair??

I've seen people checking in for Japan via Heathrow flights at Manchester Airport T3 before.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
EMT London-Leeds (operates on peak-hours only)

Those trains are to get the EMT HST's to Neville Hill just outside Leeds where they live.

It's better described as early and late services to reach their HST home depot, which is near Leeds. They'd have to run as ECS anyway. However a fair number of posters have proposed that they will cease whenever EMT stop using HSTs

That seems logical

You'd be surprised how many Japanese tourists used this to visit the Lakes. Assuming they go via Heathrow as Manchester doesn't have direct flights, unless via Finnair??

God yes! Those trains are full of tourists from the East

It's an Orcats Raid on London to Leeds revenue.

That may be a helpful side benefit of depot location!

pemma

Veteran Member
Those trains are to get the EMT HST's to Neville Hill just outside Leeds where they live.

It's a pity other operators run services ECS because they go on routes where they don't normally provide services. For example, Northern run ECS between Chester and Manchester via Warrington.

dk1

Veteran Member

That would be down to Beatrix Potter as much as anything. They are obsessed with it for some reason.

dk1

Veteran Member
What do Japanese tourists have to do with unusual train services?

Other posters where pointing out a possible reason as to what justifies their existence. Some thought the service would carry few through passengers but it's turned out otherwise. I found it interesting as I'm sure do many others.

fowler9

Established Member
It's a tourist hotspot, with both international tourists and day trippers flocking there in droves. These services are often busy and have lots of people with big suitcases on. It's also the railhead for the entire lakes area not just Windermere and serves the significant town of Kendal. So entirely justified in my experience. It also serves the central Manchester stations, not just the airport.

Additionally, it will lose the transpennine branding and become a northern service anyway.

TPE's barrow, Blackpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh services also do not cross the Pennines, so it's hardly the only service not to that's run by TPE.

Yes but do these international tourists wait around all day at Manchester Airport for the direct service?

Iskra

Established Member
Yes but do these international tourists wait around all day at Manchester Airport for the direct service?

I've no idea. Does it matter so longer the train is well-used, which it is, so what's the problem?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Unexpected Trains...
For me it's the odd extentions or altered routing.

Manchester to Sheffield via Huddersfield TPE.
Rotherham TPE services.
Doncaster to Cleethorpes Northern service (not on map).
Cleethorpes to Sheffield Northern via Brigg causes confusion.
Cleethorpes to Nottingham Summer Sunday EMT service.
Derby to Skegness HST by EMT in Summer.
Beverley to London Hull Trains.
HST at Newark Castle by EMT.
Etc etc.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Unexpected Trains...
For me it's the odd extentions or altered routing.

Manchester to Sheffield via Huddersfield TPE.
Rotherham TPE services.
Doncaster to Cleethorpes Northern service (not on map).
Cleethorpes to Sheffield Northern via Brigg causes confusion.
Cleethorpes to Nottingham Summer Sunday EMT service.
Derby to Skegness HST by EMT in Summer.
Beverley to London Hull Trains.
HST at Newark Castle by EMT.
Etc etc.
Thank you! At last someone who is actually on-topic and not saying random things about Japanese tourists.

fowler9

Established Member
I've no idea. Does it matter so longer the train is well-used, which it is, so what's the problem?

Apologies. I didn't intend to drag things off topic but managed to.

Liverpool South Parkway to Preston is a weird one since it generally carries me and no one else from Parkway to Lime Street. I may be wrong but is it because it gives the stock something to do between moves?

fowler9

Established Member
Speaking for myself I think I was on topic for a service I personally thought unlikely. It was drifting somewhat. Now we are drifting on to what is on and what isn't on topic as opposed to the topic. :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Speaking for myself I think I was on topic for a service I personally thought unlikely. It was drifting somewhat. Now we are drifting on to what is on and what isn't on topic as opposed to the topic. :)

Robbie Fowler was on BBC 5 Live 606 last Sunday. Came across as a smart bloke.

fowler9

Established Member
Robbie Fowler was on BBC 5 Live 606 last Sunday. Came across as a smart bloke.

He isn't as daft as he looks. Ha ha. We all live in a Robbie Fowler house etc. Ha ha. One of m heroes from when I was younger. This is off topic. :)

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
But I was a bit annoyed that people went off-topic and were talking about Japanese tourists from Manchester Airport going to the Lake District

That's the nature of the forum and that's why it's such a great forum. There is much to learn here and that's helped by people sometimes straying slightly from the path.

Losing your temper over people going off topic will not endear you to others. This is especially relevant in my opinion given that you've only just joined the forum.

fowler9

Established Member
But I was a bit annoyed that people went off-topic and were talking about Japanese tourists from Manchester Airport going to the Lake District

Apologies mate but it was a discussion about why I thought it was an unlikely service and others didn't. You are always going to get people questioning other peoples opinions. Perhaps if you start a thread like that and don't want peoples opinions just state that at the start. You just want a list of what people think are unlikely services. The thing is without peoples opinions what is the point of the list. Anyone could say anything for no reason at all.

Last edited:

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Right, being new to the forums I have no idea what is going on, and I'll be lucky if I'm on the forum by tommorow

RichmondCommu

Established Member
He isn't as daft as he looks. Ha ha. We all live in a Robbie Fowler house etc. Ha ha. One of m heroes from when I was younger.

Yes we'd gathered that :D We all dream of a team of Carraghers??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right, being new to the forums I have no idea what is going on, and I'll be lucky if I'm on the forum by tommorow

Don't be silly :) Just enjoy the forum for what it is and you'll learn a lot about our rail network and perhaps some other things besides :)

fowler9

Established Member
I'm still here

Glad to hear it. :D I often get the Liverpool South Parkway to Preston service as far as Lime Street because I know I will have a train to myself. I don't know why they run it. To make it weirder I get the train to Parkway from West Allerton to do it instead of getting the regular stopper straight in from West Allerton.

Status
Not open for further replies.