• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Services that you wouldn't expect to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There's a Monday-Thursday ATW service that goes from Birmingham International to Piccadilly via Shrewsbury, Crewe, Chester and Newton-le-Willows.

Sounds strange, but it is a Birmingham Intl to Chester and a Chester to Manchester Picc lumped together as it is the same unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
I would say that London-Paddington-Worcester Foregate Street is odd, as it is operated by Great Western and London Midland do an hourly Birmingham New Street-Hereford service, and Gatwick Airport-Reading as well. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what other operator would link Worcester to London though - LM or Virgin via Birmingham would be much less direct. Also the Worcester services variously extend to Malvern and Hereford to give them London and Oxford connections too.

What is perhaps odder is the 1 train per day from Worcester to Paddington via Cheltenham and Swindon.

There used to be a Northampton-Walsall service in the early morning which I found odd but that doesn't exist any more.

The evening LM Euston-Crewe via Birmingham is another favourite of mine.

Established Member
Walsall-Liverpool in the morning?

Birmingham International-Liverpool is more justifiable and IMHO should run all day

Parallel

Established Member
I find the 17:20 ATW Crewe - Cardiff Central via. most of Wales a funny one. Granted, you'd be brave to do the full journey on it, as it is effectively a Crewe - Shrewsbury stopper, then a Shrewsbury - Swansea rural service, then a Swansea - Cardiff Central Swanline service all lumbered together.

In fact, it is timetabled to call at 50 stations though 24 of those are request stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.