• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Settlements where rail infrastructure is more well known than its namesake

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Barnetby is a good example for those familiar with Cleethorpes trains (South Transpennine).

Can we count Habrough as well, then? It's the mainline station which serves the significant town of Immingham and the junction for Barton, so gets more than one train an hour despite consisting of a pair of platforms either side of a road, a pub, and a gunshop.

Similarly, would Alnmouth count? It's a lovely little village in its own right, but the station's there to serve Alnwick, with Hogwarts and Barter Books.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Where is Hanslope / Hanslope Junction?

Maybe not all that well known, perhaps?!
Hanslope Junction is north of Wolverton, being the last physical connection heading north between the fast and slow lines before the latter go via Northampton.

The spire of the village church can be seen prominently to the east, about a mile away.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hanslope Junction is north of Wolverton, being the last physical connection heading north between the fast and slow lines before the latter go via Northampton.
Thanks for clarifying. Must have passed by this location well over a thousand times over the past couple of decades or so, but not been aware of the name.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Roman Bridge - There is literally nothing there apart from the station so it has to be the most well known.

Llanfairpwll - Mention it to anyone and they have usually had a selfie in front of the full length Station sign.

Bidston - Hell hole of an interchange place that you never want to get stuck with a cancelation. I hear Bidston and all I think is the station and bad experiences.

stuu

Established Member
I visualise Lostwithiel as a remote moorland station surrounded by mist. Descending from the London train in the early morning, the sole passengers are Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, the latter rubbing sleep from his eyes and looking around him in bewilderment. Don't tell me it's not like that.
Bodmin Parkway is geographically more appropriate for that description, being in the middle of nowhere, although the name is somewhat less romantic, to put it mildly

pitdiver

Thanks for clarifying. Must have passed by this location well over a thousand times over the past couple of decades or so, but not been aware of the name.
It is the home of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's Hanslope Park. Where a lot of special activities go on.

Acfb

I'd say Tweedbank as I hadn't really heard of it before the planning stages of the Borders Railway even though I've always been familiar with Melrose. I'd say Tweedbank is virtually a suburb of Galashiels.

Also Reston I'd argue similarly.

Pigeon

I don't think we've had Kinnaber yet. A couple of houses next to a line which no longer exists, best known for giving its name to a junction which also no longer exists that was on a different line about a km away from it.

mrcheek

Established Member
another name in Cornwall known mainly for railways is St Blazey, although football fans of a certain age will remember it as the answer to a trivia question

Status
Not open for further replies.