• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Shortest Journey Requiring Two Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
It occurred to me that the rail journey from Ardwick to Salford Central isn't very far, but requires two changes. Pic and then Vic or Salford Crescent.

Over here in West Yorkshire, Baildon to Burley Park is the best I can think of. Change at Shipley and Leeds.

In London, Cannon Street to Vauxhall. Change at London Bridge and Waterloo East/Waterloo.

Any other examples?

Note - I am not looking for stations close in terms of the straight line distance, but in terms of the distance travelled to get between them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Ardwick to Salford Central?

Change at Manchester Piccadilly and Salford Crescent/Victoria

If you’re after practical journeys that someone might actually undertake Cardiff Bay to Newport or Cardiff Bay to Pontyclun.

Howardh

Established Member
Lostock to Daisy Hill is about 3 miles direct, Lostock to Bolton, Bolton to Hindley, Hindley to Daisy Hill.

Established Member
If you’re after practical journeys that someone might actually undertake Cardiff Bay to Newport or Cardiff Bay to Pontyclun.
You'd be surprised how many people I've heard at Piccadilly asking staff for Salford Central and then seem surprised when they have to change. Admittedly I'd bet most of them don't come from Ardwick!

Farigiraf

Lostock to Daisy Hill is about 3 miles direct, Lostock to Bolton, Bolton to Hindley, Hindley to Daisy Hill.
You can do it with one change at Salford Crescent

Kennett to Lakenheath while quite far apart makes you go much further than usual changing at Bury and Ely (and good luck with finding an actual train)

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
As a journey it can be done with only 1 change at Salford Crescent, however a normal ticket for Daisy Hill - Lostock wouldn't be valid for it, and it would require split tickets (or a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger)

Howardh

Established Member
You can do it with one change at Salford Crescent

As a journey it can be done with only 1 change at Salford Crescent, however a normal ticket for Daisy Hill - Lostock wouldn't be valid for it, and it would require split tickets (or a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger)
Yes, Salford Crescent is possible but possibly longer time and distance wise. Some ticketing allows Bolton > Daisy Hill via Hindley otherwise the Ranger must be used.

Think there's a Parlimentary that does Heysham docks to Carnforth, but other than that Carnforth > Lancaster > Morecambe > Heysham unless you are on the very scarce Lancaster > Heysham "boat" train?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Note - I am not looking for stations close in terms of the straight line distance, but in terms of the distance travelled to get between them.
Imperial Wharf/Wandsworth Road/Wandsworth Town to Brixton? Change at Clapham Junction and Victoria.

Farigiraf

Imperial Wharf/Wandsworth Road/Wandsworth Town to Brixton? Change at Clapham Junction and Victoria.
Wandsworth Town-Vauxhall-Brixton
Imperial Wharf-Highbury & Islington-Brixton (Google suggests me to take the boat for this one!)
Wandsworth Road-Highbury & Islington-Brixton

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Slaithwaite to Sowerby Bridge- the two are quite close as the crow flies (yes, I know that's not what the OP was after) and the journey is quite a popular walk. If you wanted to walk one way and come back by train you'd have to change at Brighouse or Mirfield and again at Huddersfield.

Darton to Fitzwilliam is two changes, Wakefield Kirkgate and Westgate. You could do it with one change at Leeds (or Meadowhall) but would either be a permitted route?

Taunton

Established Member
We sometimes travel from South Quay on the DLR to Star Lane, probably about 2 miles, a journey which needs three changes (and thus four trains). Two are cross-platform, but the third needs two escalators, a big set of steps, and quite some walking.

Purple Train

Established Member
Langley to Datchet requires two changes, including a walk through Windsor. (I'd count that as two changes, though NRE counts it as three!)

Hythe to Chappel & Wakes Colne usually requires two changes on a weekday, though there are direct services from the Sunshine Coast Line to Marks Tey in the morning peak and on Sundays.

Flowery Field to Ashton-under-Lyne also requires changes at Piccadilly and Stalybridge, or Guide Bridge and Stalybridge if you get the Denton Flyer. That can't be far as the crow flies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One change at Hunts Cross

Albeit there are only a handful of trains that call at Hunts Cross AND Edge Hill
Also not a real/sensible journey, as any prospective passenger would simply walk to Lime Street.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Stourbridge Town to Sandwell and Dudley. Probably five miles as the crow flies, maybe seven by road and a change at Stourbridge Junction and Smethwick Galton Bridge by rail.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Kelvindale to Jordanhill....changing at Anniesland and Hyndland.
I think we have a winner; it does actually come up as a suggested itinerary on Google if you specify less walking.

London Trains

It occurred to me that the rail journey from Ardwick to Salford Central isn't very far, but requires two changes. Pic and then Vic or Salford Crescent.

Over here in West Yorkshire, Baildon to Burley Park is the best I can think of. Change at Shipley and Leeds.

In London, Cannon Street to Vauxhall. Change at London Bridge and Waterloo East/Waterloo.

Any other examples?

Does the journey have to be the shortest route possible, and is the tube included?

If the tube is included then Cannon Street to Vauxhall can be done in one change at Victoria (District/Circle Line > Victoria Line).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does the journey have to be the shortest route possible, and is the tube included?
The original post simply said 'rail'....
If the tube is included then Cannon Street to Vauxhall can be done in one change at Victoria (District/Circle Line > Victoria Line).
...and gave this as an example, which is contradictory.

Unfortunately a common theme with trivia threads is that the question is not always consistently defined, which can result in many posts debating how to interpret the question and/or talking at cross-purposes. (It could have been worse; at least counties weren't mentioned! ;))

But I don't think anyone can beat @D6130's suggestion; at least not if it is deemed to be NR services only, and for a genuinely sensible journey someone may actually make.

chrisdoward

West Dulwich to North Dulwich changing at Herne Hill and Tulse Hill. I did actually use this route in the past but was heading to London Bridge rather than North Dulwich.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
West Dulwich to North Dulwich changing at Herne Hill and Tulse Hill. I did actually use this route in the past but was heading to London Bridge rather than North Dulwich.
If you really don't want to walk or bus it, only one change is required at Beckenham Jn.

Heathrow to Windsor and Eton Central (Heathrow > Hayes & Harlington > Slough > Windsor)
This journey is much further than previous examples.

RetroCrowe

Greenbank to Hartford? The two are about a mile apart as the crow flies but to get between them by train you'll need to go from Greenbank to Chester, Chester to Crewe and Crewe to Hartford. Admittedly this shouldn't really count because it isn't a remotely practical journey

D6130

Established Member
Kelvindale to Jordanhill is 1.5 km (just under a mile) as the crow flies - and only very slighytly longer by road. TBH, unless it's raining heavily - which is not unknown in Glasgow - I would probaly walk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.