• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Splitting big stations in to separately named bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamedwards

So your challenge is to take a station and using your knowledge of railway history and naming conventions devise some suitable names for the credible separate bits.

For example, using Wrexham as my model, Stevenage should be:
Stevenage General p1-4 and
Stevenage Exchange for the new p5.

Bonus smilies for the especially clever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

London Trains

Tamworth Low Level and Tamworth High Level.
Lichfield Trent Valley Low Level and Lichfield Trent Valley High Level.

adamedwards

Manchester (Piccadilly) General and Manchester Castlefield.
Ormskirk North and Ormskirk South

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Oxford's platforms 1 and 2 could be renamed to Oxford Rewley Road, with platforms 3 and 4 becoming Oxford General.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think that Victoria Station in London was originally named after nearby Victoria Street, but it should be possible to split the Brighton Main Line platforms (9 - 19) into "Victoria station" and the South Eastern platforms (1 - 8) into "Albert station" (or vice-versa).

The station always has had the feel of two adjacent stations lumped into one.

Seanesheep

With Platforms 6 & 7 at Nuneaton only used by CrossCountry on the (former Midland Railway) Birmingham - Leicester line , they could be Nuneaton Midland and Platforms 1 - 5 could revert to Nuneaton Trent Valley.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Charing Cross (LU) into Charing Cross (Northern Line) and Trafalgar Square (Bakerloo Line).

trebor79

Established Member
Think that Victoria Station in London was originally named after nearby Victoria Street, but it should be possible to split the Brighton Main Line platforms (9 - 19) into "Victoria station" and the South Eastern platforms (1 - 8) into "Albert station" (or vice-versa).

That's because it is!

Gathursty

Established Member
Kirkby East and Kirkby West.
Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Piccadilly Throat.
Southport (Scouse) and Southport (Lancs)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Waterloo main suburban P1-P6 > Cyprus
Waterloo main line P7-P18 > Waterloo
Waterloo Windsor side P19-P24 > Khartoum

Nean

Manchester (Piccadilly) General and Manchester Castlefield.
Ormskirk North and Ormskirk South

Except P13/14 (which is what I'm guessing you're splitting into Castlefield) is on the opposite side of the city centre from the actual Castlefield part of town...

I'd split London Bridge into London Bridge (SE direction services) and London St. Thomas (Southern & Brighton direction services)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Except P13/14 (which is what I'm guessing you're splitting into Castlefield) is on the opposite side of the city centre from the actual Castlefield part of town...
Manchester Piccadilly Castlefieldwards?

I'd split London Bridge into London Bridge (SE direction services) and London St. Thomas (Southern & Brighton direction services)
In fact, why not rename Thameslink platforms at St Pancras to London St. Pancras (International) Thameslink (Low Level)?

xotGD

Established Member
Shipley North, Shipley East and Shipley West.

York could go the same way as its Parliamentary constituencies. Most of the station would be York Inner, with the two remote platforms York Outer.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is Shipley that "big" a station? Similarly, Middlewood, Ormskirk and Kirkby?

PeterC

Established Member

So did Liverpool Street until the rebuild. Before that Bishopsgate would have been more appropriate for the East Side than for the original terminus.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Leeds Central (platforms 1-6 and 0 when opened), Leeds City (platforms 7-17)

That just confuses things with the old Leeds Central. Wellington and New merged to form City. I'd call those platforms Leeds North-Western as they do the Leeds North West and Harrogate Line services, but the rest of the station is harder to divvy up. You could call platform 17 Leeds Midland...!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
St Pancras Regional, St Pancras High Speed and St Pancras International.

Carlisle Intercity (P1/3/4) and Regional (P2/5/6/7/8)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Personally I think intergration into one station is far more simple such as Hackney Downs and Hackney Central, but if we had to split I’d suggest Liskeard Mainline and Liskeard Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.