• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Station abbreviations that are often used for the wrong station

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Don’t think there’s a dedicated thread for this but I have noticed by browsing the threads that it is common for several station codes to be used for the wrong stations, the worst offenders being BNS (used for Birmingham New Street but really Barnes) and LLS (used for Liverpool Lime Street or London Liverpool Street but really Llanishen).

I wonder how many others there are...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

London Trains

• SUT (used for Sutton (Surrey) but is for Sutton Coldfield)
  • LEA (used for Lea Bridge, Lea Hall and Lea Green but is for Leagrave)
  • LAP (used for Luton Airport Parkway and Lapworth but is for Lapford)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
EMP - seen it used on occasion for East Midlands Parkway [EMD], when it is officially Emerson Park

lxfe_mxtterz

I've often heard Guildford (GLD) being referred to as "GFD" (actually Greenford) and Manchester Airport (MIA) being referred to in countless different ways, e.g. "MCA" (which doesn't actually exist!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've often heard Guildford (GLD) being referred to as "GFD" (actually Greenford) and Manchester Airport (MIA) being referred to in countless different ways, e.g. "MCA" (which doesn't actually exist!)
Manchester Airport confuses people on two levels: the station code is MIA which is also the Airport code for Miami (Manchester is MAN, which is also the station code for Manchester Piccadilly). This confusion has occasionally meant people having to wait for their holiday baggage to be sent home from Florida!

Metal_gee_man

Manchester Airport confuses people on two levels: the station code is MIA which is also the Airport code for Miami (Manchester is MAN, which is also the station code for Manchester Piccadilly). This confusion has occasionally meant people having to wait for their holiday baggage to be sent home from Florida!
At least Gatwick tried to kept it simple with GTW, lol
LGW is Langwathby and GAT doesn't exist

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I've seen 'ASC' used several times before for Ascot, in place of the correct 'ACT'. ASC is Ashchurch for Tewkesbury.

This is one of my pet hates, when people who should know the code just guess: STV for Stevenage (actually SVG), NWK for Newark Northgate (actually NNG) being the top offenders on my patch.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
CBN for Cambridge North (actually CMB)

CBN being Camborne (Cornwall)

WNW for Wigan North Western (actually WGN)

WNW being West Norwood.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
These codes are not structured or consistent, but there's a reason probably lost in the mists of time to most.
Back in 1970, I started work at the Commercial Research Dept at General Manager, LMR, Euston and the project was to allocate ticket revenue to profit centre using NPAAS*, the predecessor of CAPRI.
Unlike CAPRI, which uses computer based logic, NPAAS used interviewers like me travelling on trains to record passengers' transits first-hand. Even with two of us, scooting down an Inter-City between each stop to record every passengers' details as they joined and alighted meant that the standard BR location code which was (I think) 5 digit numeric and not easily memorised wasn't suitable, so a 3 letter system, intended to be a memorable abbreviation, was invented.
No-one spent time allocating abbreviations to every station on BR, but as each route was surveyed we chose abbreviations for the stations involved; someone at the BRB kept records to avoid duplication, and where this happened, we obviously changed the code. They were all invented to fulfil what was seen as a short term requirement.
So, for instance, BHM was Birmingham New St. This was because, for our purposes, New St was the only station in central Birmingham; the others were all served by one service group (AKA profit centre) and were moribund at the time anyway (maybe Snow Hill had already closed?) . Similarly, we thought that NOR was a logical code for Northampton, but it had already been allocated by the ER to Normanton (wonder why the ER didn't use it for Norwich?).
This process only required codes for stations which had more than on service group and, quite reasonably, no thought was given to using a complicated structure - it was a form of 'first come, first served'.
Presumably, when a need was seen for abbreviations for every station on the network, these codes were adopted and the original codes were allowed to stand unaltered despite their flaws.
Looking through the codes, there are many cases other than New St where one station has monopolised a code that could apply to several - for instance, when LRD was allocated to London Rd., Guildford no thought was given to the existence of London Rd., Brighton. Other oddities were' for example, when the WR, presumably using the earlier spelling of Hanborough, included D in the abbreviation. There's also codes for curious locations such as Goldthorpe Police Station - presumably timing points on RRBs.
The surprise, to find that off-the-cuff abbreviations as part of a job in my youth are now an integral part of computerised timetable enquiries, is still great -who'd have thought?

*NPAAS - National Accounting & Audit System. I don't know what CAPRI stands for- after my time - I moved to freight.

Edit to remove wayward text at the very bottom

scrapy

Established Member
CBN for Cambridge North (actually CMB)

CBN being Camborne (Cornwall)

WNW for Wigan North Western (actually WGN)

WNW being West Norwood.
I've seen WNW used for Wigan Wallgate as well. Also WNC used for Warrington Central (actually WAC), BMR or even BUM for Burnley Manchester Rd (BYM)

Metal_gee_man

These codes are not structured or consistent, but there's a reason probably lost in the mists of time to most.
Back in 1970, I started work at the Commercial Research Dept at General Manager, LMR, Euston and the project was to allocate ticket revenue to profit centre using NPAAS*, the predecessor of CAPRI.
Unlike CAPRI, which uses computer based logic, NPAAS used interviewers like me travelling on trains to record passengers' transits first-hand. Even with two of us, scooting down an Inter-City between each stop to record every passengers' details as they joined and alighted meant that the standard BR location code which was (I think) 5 digit numeric and not easily memorised wasn't suitable, so a 3 letter system, intended to be a memorable abbreviation, was invented.
No-one spent time allocating abbreviations to every station on BR, but as each route was surveyed we chose abbreviations for the stations involved; someone at the BRB kept records to avoid duplication, and where this happened, we obviously changed the code. They were all invented to fulfil what was seen as a short term requirement.
So, for instance, BHM was Birmingham New St. This was because, for our purposes, New St was the only station in central Birmingham; the others were all served by one service group (AKA profit centre) and were moribund at the time anyway (maybe Snow Hill had already closed?) . Similarly, we thought that NOR was a logical code for Northampton, but it had already been allocated by the ER to Normanton (wonder why the ER didn't use it for Norwich?).
This process only required codes for stations which had more than on service group and, quite reasonably, no thought was given to using a complicated structure - it was a form of 'first come, first served'.
Presumably, when a need was seen for abbreviations for every station on the network, these codes were adopted and the original codes were allowed to stand unaltered despite their flaws.
Looking through the codes, there are many cases other than New St where one station has monopolised a code that could apply to several - for instance, when LRD was allocated to London Rd., Guildford no thought was given to the existence of London Rd., Brighton. Other oddities were' for example, when the WR, presumably using the earlier spelling of Hanborough, included D in the abbreviation. There's also codes for curious locations such as Goldthorpe Police Station - presumably timing points on RRBs.
The surprise, to find that off-the-cuff abbreviations as part of a job in my youth are now an integral part of computerised timetable enquiries, is still great -who'd have thought?

*NPAAS - National Accounting & Audit System. I don't know what CAPRI stands for- after my time - I moved to freight.

Edit to remove wayward text at the very bottom
I'm glad we've got someone blame, I would assume this is maybe part if your railway legacy that you might be proud of however messed up. Good old BR

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I'm glad we've got someone blame, I would assume this is maybe part if your railway legacy that you might be proud of however messed up. Good old BR

Yes indeed. It's interesting that BR was often accused of being bureaucratic but the problems were caused by us not being so.
The job was a dream for a railway enthusiast, a large amount of train travel, and getting paid for it. Of course, one also realised the shortcomings first-hand.
Sadly, I didn't keep detailed records of train times and traction - generally too rushed - but I estimate that, with this job and later long distance commuting and area visits and later leisure travel, I've covered between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 million miles, so I probably know more than many about the problems, both BR and the TOCs, of rail travel.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always mix the station code for Edinburgh Waverley (EDB) with the airport code for Edinburgh Airport (EDI). Just to confuse the situation even further there is actually a "station" code for the airport as well (EDA) despite the fact there is no railway station there.

Peter C

Established Member
I've found myself using "WSH" for Worcester Shrub Hill a lot (it's actually WOS, inline with WOP (Worcestershire Parkway) and WOF (Worcester Foregate Street). Seeing as it is actually for Wishaw, I can see it being really confusing if I forget one day!
I expect a fair few of the examples given here will be for stations with names comprising three words, such as WOS - I don't know if it's just me but I always expect a CRS code for a three letter station to be the first letter of each word, particularly if it's a station I've never been to before.

-Peter :)

Veteran Member
Long before that, the Southern had a whole range of (telegraph) codes, on the SE (the ones I knew best) they were mostly 2-letter. My local lines were VA-ON and HV-SV (I'll allow you to guess!). My local station was SRD though (Shortlands) which is now SRT - so I occasionally get confused!

Back on topic - I suspect many enthusiasts had their own abbreviations before TLCs (or airport codes!) were widely known. And 3-part station names would naturally be the 3 initials...

MadMac

Digressing slightly, after the death of Bob Hope, Burbank Airport was renamed to "Bob Hope Airport". The Authority which operates it looked into changing its initials from "BUR" to "BOB", but quickly dropped the idea once they found out the cost - basically, it involved changing the whole international Air Traffic Control system worldwide, not to mention the booking system.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Digressing slightly, after the death of Bob Hope, Burbank Airport was renamed to "Bob Hope Airport". The Authority which operates it looked into changing its initials from "BUR" to "BOB", but quickly dropped the idea once they found out the cost - basically, it involved changing the whole international Air Traffic Control system worldwide, not to mention the booking system.

An interesting one in the Airport world is Kansas City - MCI (Short for Mid Continent International).

Steddenm

Belfast Central is BFC but I have seen BFS used in the past.

Now it is called Belfast Lanyon Place I saw BLP which is Belper and XBC used which is Battersea Pier Carriage Holding Sidings!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
At the risk of being censored for drifting off topic, I remember arriving at Kuala Lumpur airport with a KUL/LHR tag on my bag and being asked by a fellow traveller "Have you just come from Lahore?"

xotGD

Established Member
When people are using an initialisation as shorthand for a station they are doing nothing wrong. In all likelihood they neither know nor care what the official three letter code is for the station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
When people are using an initialisation as shorthand for a station they are doing nothing wrong. In all likelihood they neither know nor care what the official three letter code is for the station.
Does of course occasionally cause confusion on these forums when posters are asking, for example, about fares and routeings, and are quoting the wrong three letter code(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.