• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station, junction, signalbox and level crossing names which could be personal names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Following on from the 'Stations with non-geographical names' thread, I thought it might be an amusing distraction from all the bad news on the forums to think of as many stations, depots and other infrastructure points as possible, the names of which could be personal names (e.g. Peter Borough). The places concerned could be on the mainline networks or tramways/light rail in the UK or Ireland and words/syllables may be adjusted (e.g. Craig Endoran). However names of saints are excluded as there are just too many of them. Over to you:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
There are quite a few in this earlier thread:

urbophile

Established Member
Rock Ferry, the ageing nightclub performer.
Miles Platting, aspiring tabloid journalist
Wes Kirby
Brad Ford
Hazel Grove
Colin Dale
and that well-known Essex gang, the Theydon Boys.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Kirk Newton
Kirk Connel
Maxwell Park
Kelvin Dale
Kelvin Bridge
Kelvin Hall
John Stone
Blair Hill
Mary Hill
Ash Field
Ash Hurst
Ash Vale
Tod Morden

Then there's a couple that might pass if you were listing surname first
Car(r), Donald
Mount, Vernon

Gloster

Established Member
There are recent threads (sorry, I can’t do links):

Trivia - Stations named after people
Trivia : Namesake stations

There was a case some years ago, which I am fairly sure wasn’t a joke, of a signalman who lived in a town with the same name as his surname and in a building named after the town, which had a station. If written simply, the name appeared in all three lines of the address.

D6130

Established Member
There are recent threads (sorry, I can’t do links):

Trivia - Stations named after people
Trivia : Namesake stations

There was a case some years ago, which I am fairly sure wasn’t a joke, of a signalman who lived in a town with the same name as his surname and in a building named after the town, which had a station. If written simply, the name appeared in all three lines of the address.
This thread is slightly more complicated in that you can alter the station/depot/yard/signalbox name to produce the name of a - possibly ficticious - person. (e.g. 'George Masjunction' or 'Stewart Slane')!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Good one! Gill is fine as it's a common abbreviation for Gillian.
Though if you're going for the hard G (Dorset not Kent) I'd spell it with just one L, e.g. Gil Scott-Heron. Still works as a pun.

Barry Island
Barry Links
Barry Docks

Also, there was a footballer named Mike Sheron who played for Norwich City during the 1990s. If he had a brother or son named Martin he'd have had his own station on the Reading to Waterloo line.

snowball

Established Member
Red Ruth
(could be a way of referring to a red-haired woman, for example)

Harriet Sham

GCRS

Glen Conwy
Betsy Coed (plenty of tourists pronounce it that way anyway)
Ronan Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.