• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations named "X for Y" or have 2-for-the-price-of-1 names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
Query was against the reference files available over FTP as part of the open data Darwin Push Port ( http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/Darwin:Push_Port )

Code:
+------+---------+-----+-----------+
| id   | tpl     | crs | locname   |
| 1973 | POKSDWN | POK | Pokesdown |

...which generally tallies with NRE...

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbboard/dep/POK

Interestingly, the station sign says Pokesdown for Boscombe too.

7707714926_20d290d0a1_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/7707714926

didcotdean

Upwey was Upwey and Broadwey between 1952 and 1980 - although actually closer to Broadwey.

Holly

A few on Great Western Railway metals:
Birches & Bilbrook - I believe it is now Bilbrook. .
Slightly unusual that - truncation from the West.

Another is Hartford & Greenbank became Greenbank.
Nearby Hartford station was always known locally as "Old Hartford", possibly to make the distinction.

TH172341

Dorridge station used to be named Knowle and Dorridge - was shortened back in 1974. Knowle is not even a 5 minute drive from Dorridge so made sense but suppose it's far easier to have the short name.

Waldgrun

Witley on the Portsmouth direct line, was know, as Witley for Chiddingfold. But to make matters more interesting, the station is actually in Wormley Village and also serves Brook and Hambledon. Witley village is nearer to Milford station.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Hutton Cranswick is a result of serving two villages, Hutton and Cranswick. Using the amalgamated name is not a new thing though; the Domesday Book lists Hutton Cranswick.

These things take time to change in deepest darkest East Yorkshire though - plenty of Conductors announce 'Cranswick' as a station call....

Bookd

On the Underground ; Turnham Green (Bedford Park).
I do not know if this is still on the platform signs but I can remember when it was.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Underground has 'Charing Cross for Trafalgar Square'

Probably in case anyone is travelling with an old Tube map showing Trafalgar Square as a Bakerloo Line station: Charing Cross then (pre-mid 1970s) was what is now Embankment.

Welshman

Established Member
Brighouse station in West Yorkshire is an interesting one.

When opened in 1840, it was known as "Brighouse for Bradford" as its opening predated the Bradford branch from Milner Royd.

At some time in its history it then became "Brighouse for Rastrick" and was so called when closed in 1970.

Then it re-opened in 2000 as simply "Brighouse"

backontrack

Established Member
Cockermouth for Buttermere was namechecked by Beeching. It was generally just called Cockermouth, though. Interestingly Braithwaite was the nearest station to Buttermere (and Keswick was also nearer); the easiest access, however, was from Cockermouth.

Last edited:
A few local to me:-

Gatley for Cheadle.

Heaton Chapel & Heaton Moor.

Knott Mill & Deansgate.

BR seemed intent on rationalising everything in the 70s including station names!

Dhassell

Not official, But on the station sign at Yatton, it says "Yatton for Clevedon"

MichaelAMW

What about Seer Green, which in some places is written as Seer Green and Jordans?

That's the original name but the "Jordans" was dropped a while back - plain Seer Green when I was living up that way - and reinstated more recently. At one stage - I'd have to dig out the reference - it was Seer Green & Jordans for Beaconsfield Golf Links.

Along the same line I would have added:

Beaconsfield for Penn
Gerrrards Cross for the Chalfonts
Denham for Harefield
West Ruislip & Ickenham
South Ruislip & Northolt Junction

but I don't see these in my 50s timetable. I suspect, therefore, that they are enhanced names that were purely for information at the station or, perhaps, were shortened a long time ago.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Denby Dale was once Denby Dale & Cumberworth. Cumberworth actually being two separate villages: Upper and Lower Cumberworth respectively.

Neighbouring Shepley was, I believe, known as Shepley & Shelley at some point in the past.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Around London we had:

Deptford Road for Southwark Park -- later Surrey Docks, now Surrey Quays
Malden for Coombe -- now New Malden
Eltham for Mottingham -- kept changing to Eltham and Mottingham and back again
Kings Cross for St Pancras -- in Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway days
Mill Hill East for Mill Hill Barracks -- now the terminus on the stump of the Edgware branch
New Southgate for Colney Hatch
Snaresbrook for Wanstead -- alternated with Snaresbrook and Wanstead
Hatch End for Pinner
West Ruislip (for Ickenham)
Northolt Park for Northolt Village
Wembley for Sudbury -- now Wembley Central, previously Sudbury and Wembley
The Hale for Mill Hill -- later Mill Hill (The Hale)

Then there is Highbury or Islington -- note the peculiar use of 'or'; was it a mistake, that it was supposed to be Highbury for Islington, and somebody misread the instruction?

Parallel

Established Member
Pontypool & New Inn.

Not official a station name but at Thornford there are station nameplates with "ALIGHT HERE FOR BEER HACKETT" A similar thing applies for Penychain - Alight here for Haven Holiday Park but it's not the actual name.

XC90

'Priesthill & Darnley' which is on the Glasgow Central to Barrhead line.

This is named after the areas on each side of the station. Trespassing hotspot for the locals traversing between Priesthill and Darnley.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
To turn this thread the other way around, Hyndland station should be Hyndland and Gartnavel. The station was built to replace one on a stub branch, which ended in the Hyndland area, but the new one isn't really in Hyndland and serves more as the best way of accessing the Gartnavel hospitals, including the Beatson cancer centre.

calopez

My favourites (and adjacent to each other):

Longfield for Fawkham & Hartley
Farningham Road & Sutton-at-Hone

PeterC

Established Member
Some that have been 'truncated' from the 'east':

Gidea Park & Squirrels Heath
Brentwood & Warley
Shenfield & Hutton (always sounded to me like a firm of solicitors or a TV prog.)
Gidea Park station is actually in Squirrels Heath but Gidea Park was the more upmarket area a little to the north. Developers naturally used the more prestigious name when filling in the area between Gidea Park and the railway.

Warley was an important military base when the railway was built. The station is right on the parish boundary as is Shenfield (and Hutton).

[.n]

If memory serves me correctly:

The current Colchester Town used to be:

St. Botolphs

which changed I think to around 2002(?)

St. Botolphs for Colchester Town Centre

before ending as 2004 (?)

Colchester Town

Status
Not open for further replies.