• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia(?): Stations next to a supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurencew

Bache - Morrison's. Access to Liverpool bound platform is either from their car park or around the back of the store building.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleaford - Aldi
Boston - Asda
Skegness - Morrisons, Lidl, Tesco and Iceland.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mirfield has an Aldi just the other side of the canal, with a Tesco Metro 100yds further away on the high street. There's also a co-op above the Aldi.

D6975

Established Member
Tonbridge, Turn right and there's a Lidl about 50 yds away.
The Tesco at Whitehaven is 24 hrs by the way, so you can do the 05.15 down to there and then have 45 mins to get your provisions for the day before getting on the 05.46 ex BIF.
Paignton, head towards the sea front but turn left almost immediately this leads into a square with a Lidl on the far side.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Keighley already mentioned for the Tesco, but there's an Asda even nearer.
I think you mean Sainsburys :)

Iceland and Aldi are also within walking distance.

Kings Lynn has a Morrisons IIRC.

Bingley and Shipley have an Aldi nearby

Last edited:

Why

East Grinstead - Sainsburys - Southern & Bluebell Railway
Tunbridge Wells West - Sainburys - Spa Valley Railway ( does this count?) :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Beckenham Jn and Bromley S - Waitrose

Beckenham Junction even has an exit on the downside allowing direct access, which existed almost fifty years ago when I lived there but doubtless some Waitrose customers will think it is specially provided for them:lol:

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Beckenham Junction even has an exit on the downside allowing direct access, which existed almost fifty years ago when I lived there but doubtless some Waitrose customers will think it is specially provided for them:lol:

That's interesting! It's always been particularly obvious that both the Beckenham Jn and Bromley S Waitroses are built on former railway land. Possibly Elmers End Tesco too.

Add Lower Sydenham to the list - Sainsburys (originally Savacentre), and Petts Wood - Morrisons. Not sure if Lewisham Tesco has already been mentioned.

ScottishIain

Wishaw - Tesco Extra

Hartlepool - Asda & Morrisons within a 5 minute walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That's interesting! It's always been particularly obvious that both the Beckenham Jn and Bromley S Waitroses are built on former railway land. Possibly Elmers End Tesco too.

Add Lower Sydenham to the list - Sainsburys (originally Savacentre), and Petts Wood - Morrisons. Not sure if Lewisham Tesco has already been mentioned.

I don't think the Bromley South one was built on railway land. Bromley South station forecourt was visible from my grandfather's house in Sandford Road, which we later moved into, so I've known the area for 60 plus years. I do remember a butcher's shop with a High Street frontage occupying a small part of what is now the Waitrose. Incidentally, where the Wetherspoons is, opposite the station, there used to be a Tesco and a Safeways, the latter being one of the first in this country. The Tesco was considered at the time to be cutting edge in its size

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
I can't see Oxted on the list... somewhat surprising as it has a Morrisons at one exit and a Sainsbury's Local at the other, with a Waitrose just down the road.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I don't think the Bromley South one was built on railway land. Bromley South station forecourt was visible from my grandfather's house in Sandford Road, which we later moved into, so I've known the area for 60 plus years. I do remember a butcher's shop with a High Street frontage occupying a small part of what is now the Waitrose. Incidentally, where the Wetherspoons is, opposite the station, there used to be a Tesco and a Safeways, the latter being one of the first in this country. The Tesco was considered at the time to be cutting edge in its size

Thanks. I'd always just assumed the police station/Waitrose site was former sidings as it seemed the right shape and position!

Interesting about the loss of Tesco and Safeway when the RBS building went up. Bromley is very poorly served by supermarkets compared to Kingston/Croydon/Sutton etc.

Laurencew

Cromer - Morrison's adjacent.
Sheringham - Tesco Metro left and left again. 100 yards.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The Sainsburys at Oldham Central and the Morrisons at Newbold are usefully positioned adjacent to tram shacks. Have used both to pick up supplies after a day out...

Poolie

Bishop Auckland - Morrisons built on station land

Seaton Carew - Sainsbury's Local built on the site of the Station pub:cry:

SouthSub

Edinburgh Park - Tesco.

When Edinburgh Gateway opens it'll be just across the road from Morrisons.

philjo

Established Member
Potters Bar - Sainsbury's
Letchworth - Morrisons (2 minute walk across the road)

BurtonM

It's hardly useful but Denton is very close to a Sainsbury's.

Hyde Central is next to an Aldi.

For the poster a few pages back, Didldidldi is a Mitchell and Webb joke based around Lidl, Aldi and Netto.

CalaisFret

Haywards Heath: nr Sainsburys; soon to be adjoining Waitrose
Cooden Beach: used to be a small supermarket/booking hall i.e. the same guy who sold you your groceries would sell you your tickets
Horley: 2 minutes from Waitrose

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Cooden Beach: used to be a small supermarket/booking hall i.e. the same guy who sold you your groceries would sell you your tickets

Did that guy not end up getting the sack or am I getting mixed up with the incident in the 60s?

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Beaconsfield has a Waitrose at the top

Norwood Junction has an Aldi within a minutes walk so that counts.

At a push maybe the Sainsbury across the road from East Croydon?

route:oxford

Established Member
Dunblane - Tesco

Built in a sandstone style with a pitched slate roof so that it would be in keeping with the Cathedral and station.

BurtonM

Glossop is right next to a reasonably big Co-Op, I think the station building is even part of it.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Southampton Central - Co-op/Asda
Richmond - Sainsburys

Status
Not open for further replies.