• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on our railway network which are closed but the platforms still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D54

Ramsline Halt near Peartree. It was built for footex trains for visiting fans heading to the old Baseball Ground in Derby.

Two more from me that I havent seen in the last 7 pages: Thame (London-side of Haddenham and Thame Pway station) and Greenford (platforms on the ANL)

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Couple from the East Riding that I am certain of:

Melton Halt between Ferriby and Brough (it's near the Brough-side ending of the triple track section).
Carnaby and Burton Agnes between Nafferton and Bridlington.
Flamborough between Bridlington and Bempton.

Of course, there are plenty of examples of redundant platforms at currently extant stations in the area as well:

You can still see the remnants at both Brough and Gilberdyke of when the line was quad-tracked (the platforms at Brough were quite visibly configured as 2 islands with 2 tracks either side, and if you sit by the window at the south side heading to the west then where the current platform ends you can properly see the (longer) old platform from when there was a quad-track arrangement in the area).
The current sidings at Hull station still have the long-redundant platform faces in existence (in relatively good nick too - and I believe they are still used by crews to access units stabled in the sidings, so like Peak Forest mentioned earlier in that regard).
Platforms 7 and 8 at Bridlington are still in situ and the tracks serving them are as well, although the tracks are not really fit to have trains go over them - another story however).
Bempton still retains the former Hull-bound platform from when the line from Bridlington to Hunmanby was double track.

james60059

Chilvers Coton (between Nuneaton and Bermuda Park) - both platforms still extant.
Longford & Exhall (between Coventry Arena and Coventry) - Part of the Nuneaton-bound platform still extant.

A few miles in a South-Westerly direction, Wolf's Castle Halt, on the branch between Clarbeston Road and Fishguard Harbour still has one platform standing.

Journeyman

Established Member
The old platforms at Crawley, prior to the station being relocated, still exist.

steamybrian

Established Member
In Kent-
Chislet Colliery Halt (closed 1971)
Folkestone East (closed 1965) - up platform in situ , down platform shortened.
Lullingstone- station built in 1939 but never opened.
Westenhanger Racecourse station

steamybrian

Established Member
Last year when I travelled into/out of Liverpool Street I noted that one platform of Bishopsgate Low Level (closed 1916)- is still in situ- in remarkable good condition...!
How many other stations closed for over 100 years still have platform(s) in situ..?

MadMac

Few suggestions:

Wishaw South, Errol, Craiglockhart, Beattock, Rutherglen (the 1974-1979 one), Partick Hill, Cobbinshaw.

rower40

Wingfield station between Clay Cross Junction and Ambergate Junction. Closed 1967, the Up platform still exists, with the derelict station building thereon, with HSTs, Voyagers and Meridians passing at or near R17.

(I don't know the line speed, so R17 is a roundabout way of saying "far too fast" - courtesy of Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.)

BigCj34

Ulverston Platform 2, shares the track with Platform 1. As noone alights at Platform 2 to go to Platform 3 due to the closure of the Lakeside branch it is not used, but is on the same island platform as Platform 3.

Also Lancaster Platform 6.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At Ascot station, platform 4 survives as it is the opposite side of platform 3. This was breached a little when they built the new footbridge but most of it remains. Further to that, platform 5 survives in among the trees as does the track.
Ascot isn’t a closed station though, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

Trackman

Established Member
From the Sheffield area;
Wadsley Bridge station
Oughty Bridge (Oughtibridge)

Last two currently on the branch to the Stocksbridge steel works, freight only, former Woodhead line.

There is still a platform lineside at Sheffield Victoria on that branch.

Efini92

Established Member
Part of the platform for Manchester exchange is still there.

Park station (Ashton line)
The Oakes station (Darwen line)
Pendleton station (Atherton line)
Daresbury station (Helsby line)
Whilpshire station (Clitheroe Line)

David Goddard

Established Member
Ascot isn’t a closed station though, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.
I'm very sorry.
The previous post was about Ulverston, which isn't a closed station, and made me think of Ascot, and in doing so the purpose of the thread was overlooked.
I will check details more carefully next time.

aliceh

Bournemouth platform 1 (last used for Southern services, I think) and Platform 4 - just an extension of 3 and rarely (if any) use.
Platform 1 (before the Covid reductions anyway) was used for 1 arrival per day in the evening. It also saw some use when the line flooded and SWT (as was) took the 159 off the Lymington line and used it as a shuttle.

Platform 4 is currently getting a lot more use than it has in years, with an hourly Weymouth service.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Norton Bridge platform is still there, just! In relation there's also Wedg(e?)wood and Barlaston.

There’s no middle ‘e’ in Wedgwood. The genuine article doesn’t have it. Other potteries have used the name Wedgewood to try to imitate the brand.
However, station name boards are now missing there anyway, and the station is only limping along on borrowed time.
Time marches on & Norton Bridge is now closed.
Barlaston may too soon be off this list-but for happier reasons of trains calling again!

Status
Not open for further replies.