• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations or other locations that resemble a model railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Ipswich could be adapted into a model I suppose. Tunnel at one end of the platforms, very steep wooded hill behind and with some artistic license and compression the bridge over East Suffolk Junction could be closer to the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
A few from the Southern area...
Hastings (but perhaps with the local tunnels brought closer)
Dorking (complete with Betchworth Tunnel to the south and the signalbox at the north end, but reverting to an older station building!)
Lewes (with a tunnel, interesting layout and sharp curves, possibly with a view to referencing historic arrangements)
Reigate (although focussing on the buildings and scenery north of the line, rather than the eyesores immediately to the south; you could include the signalbox, old footbridge, station buildings and the old sidings all along the line to Redhill)

Did it still exist, Ventnor (Isle of Wight) would be a great example. Built into the hillside like a quarry/amphitheatre, with the single line emerging from a tunnel and fanning out into sidings and two/three platforms. I'm almost certain there was a turntable too.
In the same vein, the old Winchester Chesil station and its surroundings would make a good model.

Ipswich could be adapted into a model I suppose. Tunnel at one end of the platforms, very steep wooded hill behind and with some artistic license and compression the bridge over East Suffolk Junction could be closer to the station.
If we're talking tunnels, the obvious has to be St Leonards Warrior Square - tunnels immediately at both ends of the station, but otherwise completely in daylight.

Railcar

Lewes (with a tunnel, interesting layout and sharp curves, possibly with a view to referencing historic arrangements)
Don't forget the signal box, still operating as an island independent of Three Bridges and guarded by The Black Owl Of Lewes at the top of the steps.
With a bit of foreshortening, the Kingston tunnel on the line to Brighton could be included and adding Sotherham Junction would give the branch to Newhaven and Seaford which comes off the line to Eastbourne.

Lucan

Established Member
Longmoor Military Railway had a continuous circuit within an area of about a square mile. It was to give a good run for crew training. It had two branches, one north to Bordon Station (LSWR when first connected) and one south to Liss Station (SR), and lots of storage sidings in the middle. It must have had some tight curves, yet Austerity 2-10-0 locos ran on it.

Last edited:

satisnek

In terms of track layout, Birmingham International (as originally built). It's the kind of station one would find on a 1950s tail-chaser (before the advent of hidden loops at the rear), where trains could be held in platform loops. I never did understand the rationale behind this station, but these days the installation of just one additional crossover has made it rather more 'useful'.

vlad

If you're after a station with a loco works and a tunnel at each end of the site then the obvious answer is Haverthwaite.

BantamMenace

I’ve always fancied modelling Keighley as it has the interest of a junction, turntable, signal box and goods siding in on one half and a modern electrified line on the other half. The station building is also on an over bridge and the lines both head out and along different valleys (artistic license needed for modelling).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lapford is a bit of a beauty for this thread.
Bridges at both ends.
A passing loop and a yard served by speedlink services until the late 1980s/early 1990s.
You could even run class 50s on prototypical three coach trains if you set it sometime around 1990...
IMG_0108.JPG
This wonderful photo was taken from the very unusual three arch A377 bridge, by Ron Kosys in June 1984.
It's absolutely a model railway in 12 inches to the foot scale I reckon.

Gathursty

Established Member
Penhelig
Minffordd
Sheringham too but not as interesting given the level crossing is hardly used.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Charlton would be a good one. Tunnels either side, level crossing, over bridges, three sharply diverging routes including a freight line and a 90 degree curve.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
What about Ongar and North Weald Bassett on the E and 0? North Weald Bassett is more interesting operationally, the rolling stock is old-fashioned and you could even place one of those vintage double deckers they run around the area in a model of the station forecourt.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haymarket too; tunnels at one end, plus being a junction, a bay platform (modellers seem to love these) and having a depot close by.
Mmm. In the 1980s please. With lots of Scotrail liveried 47/7s... ;)

Iskra

Established Member

Ipswich would be great; plenty of loco-hauled workings, movements on the depot, the terminus of some local workings and then the engine swaps on the Freightliner workings.

I’ve always fancied modelling Keighley as it has the interest of a junction, turntable, signal box and goods siding in on one half and a modern electrified line on the other half. The station building is also on an over bridge and the lines both head out and along different valleys (artistic license needed for modelling).

Agree with this one. Quite a bit of rolling stock variety too.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I nominate Bradford-on-Avon - from west to east in quick succession: river bridge, station, tunnel, level crossing and then river at the side. The juxtaposition of tunnel and level crossing is pure modelling territory! See photo:
22448412631_ed131f614f_k.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I nominate Bradford-on-Avon - from west to east in quick succession: river bridge, station, tunnel, level crossing and then river at the side. The juxtaposition of tunnel and level crossing is pure modelling territory! See photo:
View attachment 57933
That's definitely a good one. Plenty of interesting workings as well.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Bridges at both ends.
A passing loop and a yard served by speedlink services until the late 1980s/early 1990s.
You could even run class 50s on prototypical three coach trains if you set it sometime around 1990...
View attachment 57911
This wonderful photo was taken from the very unusual three arch A377 bridge, by Ron Kosys in June 1984.
I like the two trap points within points!

d9009alycidon

delt1c

Established Member
Hackney Downs Northbound, Enfield lines bear left and Chingford bear right (then enter a tunnel)

Journeyman

Established Member
Bridges at both ends.
View attachment 57911

The Peco N Gauge track plan book makes reference to Lapford and has a plan based on it.

Tracked

Established Member
I'd have said Sheffield for the same reason as Edinburgh Waverley, some interesting & differnet buildings round it (the flats, the Cholera Monument) and the additional tram option.
Nearby there's Dore & Totley, which was have to be the full triangle, obviously
Matlock-Matlock bath (including the cable cars and Peak Rail)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Of course Ashburton was always considered to be the most modelled archetypal branch line terminus.
So much so that ended up becoming a bit of a cliche a few years ago...
Still a bit of a classic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.