• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations scheduled to have all platforms occupied at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I believe London Charing Cross at high peak falls into this for a few minutes, although it may not in the current timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
As the op does not exclude 2 platform stations I would point out that there a re loads on single track lines where trains pass.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I suspect Dalmuir has seen this happen in the past, not too sure about recently however. Same with Motherwell.

A S Leib

It might be slightly cheating, but are there are any tube stations with six or more platforms where all are scheduled to be occupied simultaneously?

rower40

The Shenfield signaller at Liverpool Street box would call ‘house’ if all 5 (as it was then) platforms had a train in. Usually the trains in platforms 2 and 3 wouldn’t be stopping.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen Preston with every platform filled at 5am once.

I'd probably say Inverness, Perth, Shrewsbury, Machynlleth, Lincoln. Stations that are hubs quite far from other places
Shrewsbury is an interesting thought, probably comes down to whether anything is in sparsely used platform 3.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I've seen trains on all tracks at Cleethorpes on occasion, but there is a platform with no track, does it count?

D6975

Established Member
The Portsmouth stopper isn’t booked to arrive until xx:38, by which time the Poole stopper at xx:30 has already departed. Officially the down Weymouth departs at xx:24, with the up Weymouth arriving at the same time the Brighton is departing at xx:28. Not impossible with late running though.
You seem to have misread my post. It's the Brighton that comes in behind the stopper under normal timetable circumstances. The Poole stopper arrives at xx:12 at the west end of P3 and departs at xx:30. The Brighton stopper comes in behind it at xx:15 on the east end of P3 and goes back at xx:28. so under normal (non-covid) timetabling they are both in the platform together for approx 13 mins.

ps. yes I know the Brighton sometimes uses P2

JWK

I believe London Charing Cross at high peak falls into this for a few minutes, although it may not in the current timetable.
Picture of Charing Cross at just after 8am last Friday, to show it does still happen (don’t think there was any significant out of course running).

Attachments

• 8944A3B5-459E-4763-873D-82D2303A3780.jpeg
    8944A3B5-459E-4763-873D-82D2303A3780.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 112

rgwwfc

High Wycombe regularly has all three platforms occupied.
I remember years ago a morning peak service used to cross and pass to London "wrong way" up platform 2 to London while a service sat on platform 3. ( this sticks in my memory as I used to see it most mornings walking over the road bridge) if platform 1 was occupied at the time this would mean all platforms ostensibly occupied by services travelling in the same direction too.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Picture of Charing Cross at just after 8am last Friday, to show it does still happen (don’t think there was any significant out of course running).

Good picture, always a good view from that bridge (see left!)

East Croydon is feasible, especially now as platforms 2 and 5 can be occupied with terminating trains. the other 4 can be used without any conflicts: up fast in 1, down fast in 3, up slow in 4 and down slow in 6.

Gazimo

I'm certain Liverpool central does, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if moorfields does too

sutty

I've seen at Wolverhampton:
1: Manc Picc (1st to go North)
2: ECS (Waiting for Manc Picc to go North)
3: BHX (1st to go South)
4: London Euston (Departing 12 minutes after BHX to go South)
5: Walsall (Got in late and needed to wait for BHX to go South)
6: Empty and lonely Turbostar (Lord only knows)

Only once, mind.

dgl

Established Member
Weymouth a lot of the time
and one slightly dodgy one with "3" platforms is Yeovil Pen Mill, although platform 2 is technically not used and serves the same line as platform 1.

d9009alycidon

I keep watching Traksy to see if Glasgow Queen Street qualifies but so far I have only seen 5 out of 7, would think it must have happened at busier times though.

DanNCL

Established Member
Certainly happened at Carlisle before though I’m not sure if its actually booked:
P1*: Northbound WCML express
P2: Cumbrian Coast unit
P3*: Charter, ECML divert awaiting a path north, or ScotRail unit from Newcastle waiting time before going on to Dumfries/Glasgow
P4: Southbound WCML express
P5: Tyne Valley unit
P6: Settle & Carlisle unit
P7: ScotRail unit for Dumfries/Glasgow
P8: Spare ScotRail unit, or unit with a booked long layover

* P1 and P3 can be swapped, apart from Charters which almost always use P3.

Have seen it at Newcastle before too but that’s not booked:
P1: Various Northern DMUs
P2: LNER 80x
P3: TPE 802
P4: LNER 80x
P5/6: XC 22x pair
P7/8: Northern DMUs (separately)
P9: Northern DMU
P10: Northern DMU
P11: XC 220
P12: ScotRail 156

Western 52

All 8 at Cardiff Central were in use just now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220215-132940_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220215-132940_Samsung Internet.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 44

Barnsley

Hull Paragon overnight has units stacked up in all 6 platforms, and all 5 sidings occupied, it’s not uncommon to have something in all 6 platforms during the day either

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Both Stourbridge stations have been known to have their platforms filled at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.