• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations still known by old names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdalia

Established Member
St Botolphs instead of Colchester Town
Parkeston instead of Harwich International
I have just about got used to Colchester Town, but it will forever be Parkeston Quay for me. And that still lives on in the 3 character code for the station which is HPQ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lloyds siding

As well as Edinburgh (Waverley), I've heard Newcastle (Central) and Carlisle (Citadel) quite a few times, including official announcements/etc.
Yes, I was surprised, on my last journey north, to hear that " ...our next station stop will be Carlisle Citadel. "

I still say 'Chapel Street' when referring to Southport..as do others of my era..

Rescars

When in London, surely everyone uses the tradition names of tge stations without prefixing London. So London Euston is just Euston and London Victoria is just Victoria. But are parts of these stations still known by old names. For instance, at Victoria, do railway folk refer to the Brighton side and Continental side? Black cab drivers seem to understand the difference.

Starshina

Throughout the 1980s I never heard anyone refer to Southampton Station, it was always Central Station despite the name change at the closure of Terminus Station. Of course it regained its Central tag later on.

What's wrong with that? I've managed thought it should be this way. I mean, where is "Haymarket"? It's not a place name!
Edinburgh Haymarket is sensible. Or should we start referring to other stations as "Lime Street", "New Street" and "Liverpool Street" etc?
"Haymarket" is an anachronism.
Wasn't the square-like area by the station known as the Haymarket, similarly to the Grassmarket to its southeast?

Brooke

TBF, no-one in Huddersfield says "Leeds" at all <D
Contender for a “like” button :)

I’ve also noticed the same tho: as a kid, it was always “Leeds” or “the station”, even to my old gran who I travelled with a lot.

It seems to have changed back towards Leeds City from the 2000s I think.

Ken H

On Moderation
Contender for a “like” button :)

I’ve also noticed the same tho: as a kid, it was always “Leeds” or “the station”, even to my old gran who I travelled with a lot.

It seems to have changed back towards Leeds City from the 2000s I think.
I think BR changed the name but street signs didnt change and the buses (The 401) still said 'City Station' long after. I will bet taxi firms still talked of 'City Station' too.

silverfoxcc

Some football fans refer to the tube station just before Finsbury Park station on the Piccadilly Line (heading out of London) as Gillespie Road just to avoid saying the name of the football club after which it was renamed.
And as they have now relocated, it should be renamed back
However there was a bit of a hoohaw recently on the possible renaming of White Hart Lane, as the ground is no longer named that.

But i still refer to Alexandra Park as Wood Green and Edmonton Green as Lower Edmonton

kkong

There was until a few years ago a ScotRail guard who used to announce arrival at "Dundee Tay Bridge" station.

Western Lord

When in London, surely everyone uses the tradition names of tge stations without prefixing London. So London Euston is just Euston and London Victoria is just Victoria. But are parts of these stations still known by old names. For instance, at Victoria, do railway folk refer to the Brighton side and Continental side? Black cab drivers seem to understand the difference.
Not just in London. People might talk about taking the train to London, or to Paddington, Euston etc, but not to "London Paddington".

Maude673

Stranraer (harbour) - Im pretty sure the last time I got a train there the ticket actually said Stranraer Harbour as the destination on it. That was way back in 2009 before the ferry left.

Magdalia

Established Member
Does anybody call London Bridge "Bridge?"
Probably not. But then the station of that name is named after a nearby bridge called London Bridge. If Cannon Street should be London Cannon Street, then London Bridge should be London London Bridge.

Tester

Probably not. But then the station of that name is named after a nearby bridge called London Bridge. If Cannon Street should be London Cannon Street, then London Bridge should be London London Bridge.
If only it could be London Battersea Power Station Station :D

Rescars

Of course, just a little way upstream from London Bridge, London Blackfriars is just known as Blackfriars. No mention of a bridge at all, even though it's directly adjacent to Blackfriars Bridge!

xotGD

Established Member
As well as Edinburgh (Waverley), I've heard Newcastle (Central) and Carlisle (Citadel) quite a few times, including official announcements/etc.
Us Geordies just say "the Central Station" or even "the Central". And of course the Metro station is called "Central Station".

Catch a train south and half an hour later you can alight at Bank Top. As Darlo also has North Road it is a means of differentiation.

bramling

Veteran Member
Us Geordies just say "the Central Station" or even "the Central". And of course the Metro station is called "Central Station".

The Newcastle situation is actually slightly confusing for people not in the know. I had a friend who wanted to travel from Tynemouth to Hartlepool, and I (to be fair, probably slightly carelessly) said "get the Metro and then take the train from Newcastle". I then got a phonecall once on the Metro saying "there's no Newcastle station on the Metro map".

On top of that there's the whole "Central Station station" clumsiness.

xotGD

Established Member
On top of that there's the whole "Central Station station" clumsiness.
No as good as County of County Durham County Council.

Sadly, that is not its name!

As an aside, Haymarket is two stops from Central Station. Depending which train you catch the intermediate stop may be Monument or it may be Edinburgh Waverley.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I had a ticket from Hastings to Canterbury the other day which had printed on it was “only valid via Ashford (Kent)”
Seems like somewhere in the ticketing system the International name hasn’t filtered through
Of course, that ticket would not be valid via any services from the international platforms!
Brighton and Chatham or Central and Eastern sides of Victoria were the two version I heard depending on who you ask.

lawried123

As far as I'm concerned, Dorking will always be Dorkng North, especially as it makes it clear it's not Dorking Deepdene or Dorking West.

Lawrie

daodao

Established Member
Knott Mill, rather than Deansgate. The station building still carries the old name "Knott Mill", with a nameboard "Deansgate" beneath it.

Bolton Trinity Street (as distinct from the former LNW Great Moor Street station).

Warwick Road (now Old Trafford - which was the former name of the nearby Trafford Bar station).

I also think of Fog Lane station (never official) rather than Burnage.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Off topic, but that's an interesting routing point.

It would be difficult (albeit of course not impossible) to make the journey avoiding Ashford (via Bat & Ball, anyone?), but if the intention is to disallow via Robertsbridge/Headcorn the wording hasn't achieved it! What else could it be?
It could be to stop people trying an inventive circular route and / or to avoid people who don't really know their way round the railway from ending up trying to change trains at Ashford ( Middlesex )? Or both...

Leisurefirst

Some football fans refer to the tube station just before Finsbury Park station on the Piccadilly Line (heading out of London) as Gillespie Road just to avoid saying the name of the football club after which it was renamed.
Some football fans would refer to it as Woolwich... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.