• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that don't use the correct name of the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hilly

Llandaff station in Cardiff - about a mile north and on the other side of the river Taff to llandaff village. The railway here forms the boundary between llandaff North and Whitchurch.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Ince, on the Wigan - Manchester line is referred to on booking engines etc as Ince (Manchester), to distinguish it from another Ince.
Many locals would dispute the district is in Manchester, and if you wanted the correct, non-ambiguous (if longer) name, the station should be Ince-in-Makerfield.
Otherwise "Ince (Wigan)" would be better.

Runcorn East, I'm not sure which of the New Town districts it sits in, but it's a bl**dy long way from what most people would think of as Runcorn (i.e. the Mersey bridge and main-line station).
Would probably be a contender to be called Runcorn Parkway if it were on an inter-city line with services to London.

Ancient history, but up until closure in late 1960s, Manchester Exchange was never in Manchester, it was west of the River Irwell, firmly in the City of Salford.

thenorthern

Established Member
Does Westmorland still exist? From memory I think it was absorbed into Cumbria in the 1970's.

1974 I think although the town is still called Appleby-in-Westmorland.

One that information boards say is Deansgate G-Mex even though G-Mex is not Manchester Central. Another one I can never understand is Tamworth Low Level on information boards its just Tamworth.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
1974 I think although the town is still called Appleby-in-Westmorland.

Fair enough although in all fairness it's perhaps a little bit irrelevant given that Appleby is Appleby regardless of whether Westmorland is included in the station name.

Very different to Dent station where if you were to walk down the Coal Road and expect to find yourself in Dent village you would be in for a surprise!

gord

Haddiscoe in Norfolk (just...the station is almost Suffolk!) is nearer St Olaves...though not in the village itself. St Olaves had it's own named station before the Beeching cuts.

Oulton Broad North used to be known as Mutford a long long time ago. Mutford village is quite a distance away. In fact, the locks by the road bridge in Oulton Broad are still known as Mutford locks....never knew why!

...and Oulton Broad South used to be called Carlton Colville which it isn't in!

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Connel Ferry station, in the village named Connel. Not a ferry in sight.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I don't know what the current state is, but the legitimate name of the relevant village was Borehamwood The station was Elstree and Borehamwood. When the village was swamped by a post-war East End overflow estate the posher residents of Elstree lobbied to have the station have the reference to the village removed. Then the Eastenders objected, so the village was restored, but as the posher looking "Boreham Wood". As I say, it's probably changed again by now.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Connel Ferry station, in the village named Connel. Not a ferry in sight.

Is it ferry far from a ferry?

Witley in Surrey, is nearer to Wormley or Hambledon that Witley.
Haslemere is in Wey Hill.
Swanwick is in Park Gate,
Swanick is right over the other side of the M27!
Moreton (Dorset) is nearer Crossways than Moreton.
Bosham (pronounced, Bozem) is in Broadbridge

Last edited:

quarella

Cumbernauld is actually in South Carbrain, and not located in the actual new town centre (where the A80/M80 passes through).

On a side note, Cumbernauld (the town centre) has the dubious honour of being nominated for and being the recipient of the Urban Realm's (magazine publication) Carbuncle Award the most number of times - known in Scotland as the "Plook on a Plinth Award" for dreadful planning and design. Now when anybody asks you whats it called? you will know the reason why.

Cumbernauld has a series of signposts erected in the past few years from station to the town centre with an approximate time it will take to walk.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49269387@N04/15216871020/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49269387@N04/15380516986/
I personally think the Cumbernauld centre is a great design and the planning of the town was excellent. 20 minutes from anywhere to the town centre without crossing a road. The only improvement would have been in my view building it near the station but at the time car was king. Sad to see a new ticket office has been built and I expect the original buildings will be gone by my next visit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49269387@N04/15216804459/
Back on topic. THe former station of Puxton and Worle was in the village of St Georges which is about mid way between Puxton and the old centre of Worle Village.

Andyjs247

Alnmouth station is in the village of Lesbury.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Interestingly Clapham Junction station *is* now in the locality of Clapham Junction, ie the location has taken the name of the station. Similarly Llandudno Junction station is not in Llandudno but is now in Llandudno Junction (and you can catch a train to Llandudno).

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm told though I'm not sure if it's true that Sutton Parkway is really on the edge of Kirkby.

Bilbrook railway station is at Birches Bridge in Codsall and was originally called Birches and Bilbrook Halt.

Elton & Orston is in the middle of nowhere and several miles from either village.

6Gman

Established Member
Surprised nobody's mentioned Hemel Hempstead. Which is in Boxmoor.

And which used to be "HH & B".

Menai Bridge station (closed in the early 1960s) was in a different county, and on a different land mass (!), to the village of that name. The village was (and still is!) on Anglesey; the station in Caernarfonshire.

1D53

Established Member
Barton-on-Humber is actually in Barton-upon-Humber.

thenorthern

Established Member
I'm told though I'm not sure if it's true that Sutton Parkway is really on the edge of Kirkby.

It is on the edge and it has a Kirkby-in-Ashfield address but in any case the town in called Sutton-in-Ashfield not Sutton.

Another one is Wainfleet which serves the village of Wainfleet All Saints.

Can we include Redcar British Steel as British Steel no longer exists.

Some airport ones ones Rhoose Cardiff International Airport (its just Cardiff Airport) plus Luton Airport Parkway, Stansted Airport, Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airport Stations and Southend Airport all miss out the London prefix.

Hophead

Established Member
Swanley is in Swanley. Which may sound as if I've misunderstood. However....

Swanley Junction Station was built some distance from the village of Swanley. Over time, the area around the station developed and we now have the situation where the town and the station are just called Swanley. And the original settlement? That's known as Swanley Village these days. The former LT Country Bus garage in the town had the code 'SJ'.

Next up the line, St. Mary Cray is in (or rather, on the periphery of) St. Paul's Cray. St. Mary Cray is just down the hill, over Cray Road and the River Cray.

Last edited:

londiscape

Interestingly Clapham Junction station *is* now in the locality of Clapham Junction, ie the location has taken the name of the station. Similarly Llandudno Junction station is not in Llandudno but is now in Llandudno Junction (and you can catch a train to Llandudno).

Wasn't the original reason for the name more to do with the L&SWR wanting to attract the posh people from Clapham to their services, rather than the then great Battersea unwashed? ;)

I don't think you could get from Clapham Junction to Clapham (High St) directly when it first opened - wasn't the Inner South London line built by a different company?

Taunton

Established Member
London Paddington isn't in Central London. It is in the W2 postal district which is generally accepted to be Bayswater, not Central London.

I believe there was a challenge to the Advertising Standards Authority about it when the Heathrow Express first started portraying it as Central London; the verdict was that while it strictly was not, it was good enough.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Staines in Surrey, and before that in Middlesex, is now officially known as Staines-upon-Thames, presumably to differentiate it from its reprobate neighbour Staines-on-its-Character. At only a few feet above sea level Staines-under-Thames may be a future name change: in the meantime SWT hedges its bets and insists on still calling it plain old Staines.

Midlandman

Point of order for the original post - as a native of the place, with family still in the area, I don't believe I've EVER addressed one of the countless letters, greetings cards etc that I've sent there as Burton-UPON-Trent. We were all taught, as kids, that our addresses ended 'Burton-on-Trent, Staffs'. Is this like nobody ever calling it 'Kingston-upon-Hull?'

Status
Not open for further replies.