• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that have other lines passing through or near them without platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama

Established Member
Birmingham Moor Street (trains between Proof House Jn and New Street can be seen).

Northallerton.

Blackburn (Up & Down Goods line).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merstham and Couldson South.
The quarry line (Brighton Mainline Fasts) passes close by but there are no platforms.

Could argue Salfords too.

xotGD

Established Member
Apperley Bridge at a stretch. The line to Ilkley isn't too far away.

Carnforth with no WCML platforms.

Bedpan

Established Member
Aren't Reedham and Coulsdon Town the same place?

You can easily see the platform ends of Waterloo East as you cross over the bridge west of Blackfriars on the way to Elephant and Castle.

Whyteleafe and Whyteleafe South stations on the Caterham Branch can be seen between Riddlesdown and Sanderstead staions on the Oxted line.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think you can just see the platforms at Shelford from a King's Cross-bound train at Shepreth Branch Jn.

Bedpan

Established Member
Ah yes, that was it! Smitham/Coulsdon is the station that you just get a glimpse of as the line curves away. I knew that one of them had been renamed but I couldn't remember which one.

Llama

Established Member
Wigan Wallgate. WCML passes over Wallgate Jn to the west of Wallgate station. (Wigan NW already mentioned).

Burscough Bridge. Ormskirk line passes over about 1/4 mile east of Burscough Bridge station.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I think trains to/from Penarth can be seen from Cogan station on the Cardiff-Barry line.

Llama

Established Member
The low level lines are still in use at Warrington Bank Quay for trains to Fiddlers Ferry.

R G NOW.

Gloucester has two lines in the middle, but one never seems to be used much as it is in a bad state of repair.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Very interesting and good photos! I must have travelled out of Marylebone a fair few times in my life but never knew that. I've been having a look on Google Earth also and two other interesting things I've learned - (1) You can follow the path of the line south into Marylebone by looking at the curvature of the roads above the tunnel, (2) I had always thought that the Metropolitan Line tunnels were alongside the Great Central line but in fact they are up to 200 yards to the east, more or less all they way to Finchley Road station - and they are in a tunnel where they cross the WCML and (3) the Metropolitan line runs in the open air just behind a wall alongside the pavement of the Finchley road adjacent to where Marlborough Road station was situated.

Even when one knows the line to Marylebone crosses over the line to Euston at South Hampstead, it's quite a surprise to be waiting there and see a train suddenly whizz across the bridge. I think it's the way the Marylebone line is in tunnel right up to and straight after the bridge that makes that effect; the Marylebone services seem to appear out of nowhere.

Carstairs - the route used by trains avoiding the station (usually those travelling between Lockerbie and Edinburgh) is south of the platforms (but clearly visible)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Carstairs - the route used by trains avoiding the station (usually those travelling between Lockerbie and Edinburgh) is south of the platforms (but clearly visible)

I know you get a clear view now as you rightly say, but only a few years ago I recall that the level of vegetation in the triangle prevented the view entirely.

Jon125

Caldicot.

Caldicot has already split from GWML where station is GWML is beginning to head down to Severn Tunnel after Severn Tunnel Junction Station and Caldicot heads to Gloucester. Not sure it meets OP's criteria unless I've misread it.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Catford Bridge has the Catford loop line pass over just to the country end of the platform. Similarly Penge East has the line from Penge West cross over to the London end. None are connected though not sure if they have 'out of station interchange' fare provision on Oyster?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Catford Bridge has the Catford loop line pass over just to the country end of the platform. Similarly Penge East has the line from Penge West cross over to the London end. None are connected though not sure if they have 'out of station interchange' fare provision on Oyster?
The Carried loop line passes over a fair way south of Catford Bridge.
There is OSI between Catford and Catford Bridge, not sure about the Penge stations.

xotGD

Established Member
Loughborough - the branch to East Leake (and beyond) diverges just south of the station.

Llama

Established Member
Ardwick.

Ashburys; the Down Goods line is behind the up platform, plenty of freight and ECS passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.