• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations That Have Reopened

Status
Not open for further replies.

iain-j

I am glad you brought up the matter of the Borders Railway as the only two of these closed stations that were reopened on their ORIGINAL site are Stow and Gorebridge
It should be noted that Brunstane is in the same location as the original Joppa Station was before it closed and a new station also named Joppa was opened on the ECML. This was to then close in the 60's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Limehouse on the DLR, part of Stepney station, later called Stepney East, renamed Limehouse when the DLR part was reopened.

Andyjs247

...I think Bicester London Rd did initially.

When Bicester Town reopened in May 1987 it was done with minimal investment. The single platform was the former up platform of Bicester London Road station which had closed at the end of 1967. It was only able to take a 2-car 165 unit.

Bicester Town closed in 2014 and has since been rebuilt completely with the line redoubled, reopening as Bicester Village on 25 October 2015. The station is still in the same place next to London Road level crossing but now has rather longer 9-car platforms which are also staggered due to the proximity of the crossing. The sectional appendix will show that the station is now closer to Oxford though - presumably because the overall centre of the station has shifted.

Just to confuse things further, up/down line designations have also swapped - so while the new up (Oxford-bound) platform is still partly opposite where the old one was. But on the down I think there is now at least a 2-car gap beyond the platform before the crossing, ie the new platform is in a different place as well as being longer.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Willington was closed in the 60s and reopened in the 1990s

We can also add Peartree to the list. Not sure when it closed but would have reopened when the service to Sinfin Central and Sinfin North was introduced in 1976.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Matlock Bath; closed in 1967 and reopened in 1972.

Last edited:

exile

Established Member
I assume we're not including stations temporarily closed during WW1 (in fact I wonder if any of those stations are still open today....)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I assume we're not including stations temporarily closed during WW1 (in fact I wonder if any of those stations are still open today....)

If you think it adds interest to the thread then by all means chip in! :)
Just a thought; did the platform at Lichfield Trent Valley (high level) close in the 1960's and then reopen when the Cross City line was wired up? Honest question folks because I'm really not sure.

Strathclyder

Established Member
If you think it adds interest to the thread then by all means chip in! :)
Just a thought; did the platform at Lichfield Trent Valley (high level) close in the 1960's and then reopen when the Cross City line was wired up? Honest question folks because I'm really not sure.

According to the Wiki (I know, I know. Unreliable info source), L.T.V's high level platforms closed in January 1965, one of which was reopened in November 1988, 5 years before the Cross-City Line was completely electrified in June 1993.

TheEdge

Established Member
Here comes a left field one I don't think has been mentioned.

Trowse in Norwich. Opened 1845, closed 1939, reopened 1986 during Norwich electrification, closed again 1986.

Established Member
Duncraig station was officially closed in 1964, and reopened in 1976.

But, or so it is claimed in a book I read about the West Highland Line, it was only a little bit closed for those twelve years. It didn't appear on the timetable, but in practice trains still stopped there on request.

Have there been any other "closed" stations that you could still use if you were in the know?

Now then, Corby station closed in 1966, reopened in 1987, closed again in 1990, and reopened again in 2009. Are any of the three stations on the same site?
On the same line as Duncraig, I know that it used to be common for hillwalkers to request unofficial stops at Glencarron Lodge Halt in the 1970s and 1980s, you had to speak to the driver directly before departure from Inverness. The practice is even recorded in the station's Wikipedia entry, which also mentions the closure of Duncraig.

Whether they would've stopped for you if you appeared on the platform in front of the train, I haven't been told!

steamybrian

Established Member
Have there been any other "closed" stations that you could still use if you were in the know?

Folkestone East (closed in 1965)- a short section of platform is retained for use by staff (mainly signalmen working at adjacent signal box).

On Llangollen Railway-- Deeside Halt is also used by signalmen. Occasionally used by ramblers by prior arrangement. I have used it..!
You'll be hard pushed to beat Birmingham Snow Hill. It's one of those stations which the ORR struggle to publish accurate user numbers for because of the number of people travelling through on tickets and passes which are also valid into Moor Street and New Street but it's somewhere in the region of 4.5 to 5 million journeys a year.

Can I include Gatwick Airport...?
Originally was Gatwick Racecourse until closed in the early 1950s reopened 1958 as the new Gatwick Airport station when the first station closed.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yes, it was originally named Kirkham Road, opened in 1846, closed in 1961, reopened in 1983, platforms remained intact during closure.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Something that just came to mind for some reason is that Southampton Airport Parkway (opened in 1966) is actually built on the site of a closed station.

There was a halt (with a down platform only) opened in 1929 and it lasted for about 6 years of the depression for passengers staying at an emigrant facility known as "Atlantic Park Hostel". Apparently this used old airfield huts, and was a staging post for people heading abroad on liners from Southampton Docks.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
How about Lea Bridge on the line between Stratford (London) and Tottenham Hale? Closed July 1985, due to reopen "Spring 2016" (Informed Sources Third Law applies, namely "never trust estimates based on the seasons").

exile

Established Member
It should be noted that Brunstane is in the same location as the original Joppa Station was before it closed and a new station also named Joppa was opened on the ECML. This was to then close in the 60's.

That's not correct - Joppa was on the main line towards Berwick, Brunstane is on the Waverley route.

416GSi

All the stations between Settle and Carlisle, with the exception of Appleby, closed on the 4th May 1970 but the majority re-opened on the 14th July 1986.

In most cases the original buildings and platforms were reused.

iain-j

That's not correct - Joppa was on the main line towards Berwick, Brunstane is on the Waverley route.

There has been two stations with the name Joppa. The first Joppa Station was located where the current Brunstane Station is today and was on the route to Musselburgh and Fisherrow that went from Portobello Junction to Niddre Junction West and curved East to Wanton Walls to then reach Musselburgh.
In 1859 this station closed as the NBR was able to buy the land at Newhailes and put in the Newhailes Curve (This land had been previously owned by a coliery) this resulted in the line from Niddrie South being diverted South through Wanton Walls to join the ECML just short of the present day Musselburgh.
With the Musselburgh Service now going via the ECML through the Newhailes Curve, the second Joppa Station was opened. This was to then close in 1964 during the Beeching Cuts but the station building still exists to today.

Original Joppa Station
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.9455&lon=-3.0993&layers=5

Later Joppa Station
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.9473&lon=-3.1009&layers=170

Original Alignment Into Musselburgh off of Niddrie South
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.9383&lon=-3.0899&layers=5

Later Alignment Into Musselburgh off of ECML
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.9381&lon=-3.0861&layers=168

Phil.

Established Member
Duncraig station was officially closed in 1964, and reopened in 1976.

But, or so it is claimed in a book I read about the West Highland Line, it was only a little bit closed for those twelve years. It didn't appear on the timetable, but in practice trains still stopped there on request.

Now then, Corby station closed in 1966, reopened in 1987, closed again in 1990, and reopened again in 2009. Are any of the three stations on the same site?

The last time that I used Corby - about two years ago - an old platform could be clearly made out on the opposite side to the current one in use so I suppose the answer must be "yes".

lejog

Established Member
Smithy Bridge that is situated between Rochdale and Littleborough stations was opened in 1868, closed in 1960 and reopened in 1985.

Along with a few others on the line:
  • Mills Hill (closed 1845!!, reopened 1985)
  • Walsden (closed 1960, reopened 1991, albeit a few metres north of the original)
  • Burnley Manchester Road (closed 1961, reopened 1986)
  • Brighouse (closed 1970, reopened 2000)

Syston, Sileby and Barrow-on-Soar closed in 1968 but reopened as part of Ivanhoe Line phase 1 in 1994

Those three are in the same place along the length of the line but not the width - the originals were on the main lines whereas the new are on the goods lines.

racyrich

West Ham. Mainline platform not used from 1916 and removed 1940. District trains used the other platform of course.
Mainline platform reinstated 1999 and is probably a candidate for the most used since reopening.

Caleb2010

Folkestone East (closed in 1965)- a short section of platform is retained for use by staff (mainly signalmen working at adjacent signal box).

On Llangollen Railway-- Deeside Halt is also used by signalmen. Occasionally used by ramblers by prior arrangement. I have used it..!

Originally was Gatwick Racecourse until closed in the early 1950s reopened 1958 as the new Gatwick Airport station when the first station closed.

The 'new' Gatwick airport station is not on the same site as the racecourse one. The former station is south of the nee one, remains of which can be seen in between Gatwick and Three Bridges.

The 'new' Gatwick airport station is not on the same site as the racecourse one. The former station is south of the new one, remains of which can be seen in between Gatwick and Three Bridges.

The 'new' Gatwick airport station is not on the same site as the racecourse one. The former station is south of the new one, remains of which can be seen in between Gatwick and Three Bridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.