• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with no scheduled services passing through non-stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr_Paul

Established Member
What about a number of stations on Waterloo-Reading line? Can’t think of any trains which don’t stop at Richmond, Twickenham, Staines, Ascot, Bracknell, Wokingham.

Everything stops at Richmond, Twickenham and Staines these days; when I was a kid Reading services ran fast from Waterloo to Staines, but stops were gradually added at Clapham Junction, Richmond, Twickenham and finally Feltham (for Heathrow bus connections). I don't think that any of the stations on the Kingston loop (that is, Strawberry Hill to Norbiton) have regular non-stopping services. I don't know about the Hounslow loop stations, as they might have some rush-hour services that don't stop at some stations; the Weybridge service and the loop service are all-stations.

steamybrian

Established Member
Loads come to mind if you mean trains in normal passenger service:

Margate, Ramsgate, Dover Priory, Canterbury West, Canterbury East, Faversham, Ashford International (domestic - not Eurostar), Tonbridge, Hastings, Lewes, Chatham, Bromley South, Barnham, Horsham

Too tired to think of any others...
There are several Monday to Friday peak hour trains that pass through Tonbridge that run fast from High Brooms to London for example 0605 Hastings- Charing Cross, 0616 Ore- Charing Cross and 0640 Ore- Charing Cross and down services- 1715, and 1757 Charing Cross- Hastings and 1737 Cannon Street- Hastings

Last year on Lewes Bonfire Night the station was closed and all trains passed through non stop

Finally there are many London suburban lines where all trains stop at all stations.

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
A few on the Aberdeen and Inverness routes that I don't believe any services omit
Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness, Aviemore, Kingussie, Pitlochry. Was going to say the rest of the A2I stations but the sleeper skips them when diverting.

It is booked to go via Bathgate - if it did go via Falkirk High it would be due to either possessions or due to a blockage on the Bathgate line. If that fact disqualifies Falkirk High then there must be others in this thread that must be similarly disqualified.
Used to operate via Falkirk High in London bound direction only, but with EGIP electrification completed it now operates via Bathgate serving additionally Glasgow Qst LowLevel.
Still common to see the FTW portion go via Falkirk when the delay is over an hour or two. Takes it out of the way and mixes of the slow A2B stopping services and allows a clear run through to Dalmuir between the EG expresses just about - shaves a good 20 minutes off I'm sure?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness, Aviemore, Kingussie, Pitlochry. Was going to say the rest of the A2I stations but the sleeper skips them when diverting.

I believe the Highland Chieftain did the same on Sunday diversions via Elgin

Clansman

Established Member
I believe the Highland Chieftain did the same on Sunday diversions via Elgin
Must have been quite a bit of time ago surely - not heard of the Chieftain diverting via Elgin in recent times. Edinburgh to Inverness via Stirling and Aberdeen is quite a boat to push to maintain a Sunday service to a city of ~40000.

Nowadays they just terminate at Perth and work back empty to Craigentinny.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Must have been quite a bit of time ago surely - not heard of the Chieftain diverting via Elgin in recent times. Edinburgh to Inverness via Stirling and Aberdeen is quite a boat to push to maintain a Sunday service to a city of ~40000.

Nowadays they just terminate at Perth and work back empty to Craigentinny.

Oh no, not recently at all - 1990s

London Trains

Off the top of my head, from Southern metro:

West Croydon
Wallington
Carshalton
Sutton
Belmont
Banstead
Cheam
Epsom
Leatherhead