• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations with non-standard signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.o.R

Travelling down to East Grinstead yesterday, I noticed that Hurst Green station has a different style of sign to all the other Southern (and South Western) stations (standard font on plain green / blue background): the lettering on the signs is in bold type.

Any other stations which do not match their peers / TOC branding?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
King's Lynn's signage is rather natty.

hqdefault.jpg

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Downham Market in NSE red

King's Lynn with Blue BR totems

Handforth has a variety in various different railways' branding (NI Railways, DLR, etc)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
There are various station signs of the former Great Western Railway company in their style at places such as Hanwell (Hanwell and Elthorne), Wootton Wawen, Charlbury, Tyseley, Bewdley (from what I remember when I did the Severn Valley back in 1989) etc.

It is noted that these historic signs are also in addition to the present day TOC and Passenger Transport Executive branding and logos.

pdeaves

Established Member
One could argue that all the heritage signs are, in fact, standard. Old or otherwise superseded, yes, but still standard at the time they were applied. Handforth is an interesting case as all the signs are 'standard' for the operator branding applied, but not for the TOC that runs the station.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One could argue that all the heritage signs are, in fact, standard. Old or otherwise superseded, yes, but still standard at the time they were applied.

No, for King's Lynn and Downham Market, the 'old' branding was newly reapplied in recent years (replacing the standard TOC signage); it's not the old stuff just left there.

pdeaves

Established Member
No, for King's Lynn and Downham Market, the 'old' branding was newly reapplied in recent years (replacing the standard TOC signage); it's not the old stuff just left there.
Yes, my terminology was poor. I was thinking places like Huddersfield, Hanwell, Tyseley, etc., true/original heritage.

davetheguard

Established Member
Absolutely love the signs at Hanwell. Southall has the well known bi-lingual signs in both English and Punjabi when ordered by First Great Western.

Actually those signs at Southall pre-date First Great Western. They were put up in the days of the Thames Trains franchise, which consisted of the former Network South East routes out of Paddington, plus other Thames Turbo-operated routes (classes 165 & 166) such as Paddington to Worcester/Gt. Malvern/Hereford; Paddington to Stratford upon Avon via Oxford; and Reading to Gatwick Airport.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Absolutely love the signs at Hanwell. Southall has the well known bi-lingual signs in both English and Punjabi when ordered by First Great Western.

I've always found Hanwell looks tatty, particularly because one of those signs is falling down the embankment.

One of the Heart of Wales Line stations has non-standard signage - Dolau I think? There are also the heritage style ones on the Cornish branches.

BigCj34

Lancaster does not use the Virgin Trains style of signage, they're still the BR Transport font.

Ken H

On Moderation
Are there any lights left with the station name written on the light so it was backlit at night
These were installed in the 1960's i think.
They looked like they had florescent tubes inside
came in a type for under canopies and another T shaped thing for outside
Some here in the image link at Skipton. An 'under canopy' one and some 'outside' ones too. pic is supposed to be 1974. not my pic.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/95/207474228_b8bf970b49_b.jpg
Fairly common across the network.

Ken H

On Moderation
Chester has (or had until recently) a load. Diss's ones were taken down and used as flower beds, I think!
some were installed at right angles to the railway so passengers on train could not read them!

geoffk

Established Member
Heaton Chapel has a "heritage" white-on-black sign with the original name Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor. Poulton-le-Fylde has a sign in the same style.

VT 390

Established Member
Bromsgrove station is the only station that I have seen with it's style of sign.
DSC_0406 - Copy.JPG

bhb

Are there any lights left with the station name written on the light so it was backlit at night
These were installed in the 1960's i think.
They looked like they had florescent tubes inside
came in a type for under canopies and another T shaped thing for outside
Some here in the image link at Skipton. An 'under canopy' one and some 'outside' ones too. pic is supposed to be 1974. not my pic.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/95/207474228_b8bf970b49_b.jpg
Fairly common across the network.

I think Thorpe-le-Soken has these, but only on the disused platform, so that probably doesn't count.

vlad

I've always found the signs at Crediton to be unusual - they're not even the same as any others on the branch. The green (BR southern region?) signs at Barnstaple are normal in comparison.

AJM580

Lowestoft still has the old BR eastern region blue signs on the wall facing the main road.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I've always found Hanwell looks tatty, particularly because one of those signs is falling down the embankment.

One of the Heart of Wales Line stations has non-standard signage - Dolau I think? There are also the heritage style ones on the Cornish branches.
Dolau, Pen-y-Bont... quite a few on the HoW.

Tal-y-Cafn (possibly others) on the Conwy Valley Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.