• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with the same name in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Longfield = Langenfeld (Rheinland). A small station on lines S6 and S68 of the Rhein-Ruhr S-Bahn.
There is also Hamburg Langenfelde which is an S bahn stop, but also the location of DB Fernverkehr’s enormous maintenance depot (which contains both Langenfelde and Eidelstedt sites).

D6130

Established Member
Not sure whether this has been mentioned already but there's a Dormans on the Paris-Strasbourg classic main line in the Marne valley to the East of Paris, as well as on the East Grinstead branch.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Not sure whether this has mentioned already but there's a Dormans on the Paris-Strasbourg classic main line in the Marne valley to the East of Paris, as well as on the East Grinstead branch.
In that neck of the woods, Hever on the Uckfield line has a namesake in Belgium, and it has a station too.

johnnychips

Established Member
Annoyingly, there is a Ham station in the Somme, but we just have West Ham, East Ham and Ham St.

We are stretching things here, but Kaliningrad South was oriiginally called Koningsburg in German/Prussian. This evidently equates to Conisbrough. (The King’s Fortification).

Last edited:

b0b

Established Member
Found a Kensington on the MARC in Maryland, also on the Chicago Metra commuter rail. Also an Aberdeen on MARC as well.

AM9

Veteran Member
There's a St Albans town/city/district in Melbourne with a rail station of the same name, as there is in Vermont US with its Amtrak station and in NYC Queens there's a St Albans with an LIRR station.

Calthrop

Established Member
We are stretching things here, but Kaliningrad South was oriiginally called Koningsburg in German/Prussian. This evidently equates to Conisbrough. (The King's Fortification).

(My boldings) -- irritating-pedant hat on: re this city; now, as stated, Russian Kaliningrad; correct German spelling is Koenigsberg (am using alternative spelling, with first e; should most properly be with, over the o, a double-dot "Umlaut" sign -- am not equipped to do foreign-language accents). "Fortification" in German, is indeed Burg; the city name's final syllable is however Berg = mountain or hill. Meaning thus, "King's Hill": name bestowed in honour of King Ottokar II of Bohemia, who during the 13th-Century Prussian Crusade against the pagan inhabitants of this area, paid for erecting the first fortress at this location -- thus a fortification in fact, but not in name. (Wiki supports this info.)

Garmoran

There was once a railway halt in Alberta called Mallaig, although the railway it was on has now been lifted. My understanding was that it was named by a railway engineer who had previously worked on the West Highland Railway's Mallaig Extension. This sounds more likely than the Wikipedia reference to "many swamps and low-lying areas".
Mallaig, Alberta - Wikipedia

raetiamann

Before the line from Sydney to Newcastle was truncated and became light rail, I took a train from Newcastle to Cardiff, both in NSW and the journey was ~23 minutes. Now if only Cross Country could do that

Calthrop

Established Member
There was once a railway halt in Alberta called Mallaig, although the railway it was on has now been lifted. My understanding was that it was named by a railway engineer who had previously worked on the West Highland Railway's Mallaig Extension. This sounds more likely than the Wikipedia reference to "many swamps and low-lying areas".
Mallaig, Alberta - Wikipedia

@Garmoran: reading your post pre-clicking on your link, I'd imagined (daftness on my part, here) a scenario of the name's being seen as derived from a word in the local First Nations language meaning "many swamps and... etc." -- however, having done the link, "get it" that it was bestowed for whatever reason, by the Scottish guy on the spot.

One might wonder whether incongruous names from far away, are a particular Canadian railway thing. I've always relished the business of the system running northward from Vancouver -- now part of the Canadian National -- originating a bit more than a century ago, and continuing for many decades, under the name of "Pacific Great Eastern Railway"; when it was about as far west in Canada, as you can get ! I understand that the "Pacific G.E." name derives from the railway's being launched with much financial backing, plus overall "goodwill", from Britain's then Great Eastern Railway.

XAM2175

Established Member
Before the line from Sydney to Newcastle was truncated and became light rail, I took a train from Newcastle to Cardiff, both in NSW and the journey was ~23 minutes. Now if only Cross Country could do that
It also created the amusing co-incidence that FreightCorp's 90 class locomotives were built in London (Ontario) and delivered in Cardiff (NSW).

Vauxhall in London and pretty much everywhere in Russia.

In 1837 the first Russian railway ran from St Petersburg to the Pleasure Gardens and the station was called ‘Vokzal’. And this name became the generic word for all Russian stations.

vlad

This factoid tends to be mentioned regularly on this forum....

"Voksal" is the Russian word for a major station - the Russian equivalents of the London terminals, Birmingham New Street, Glasgow Central, etc. "Ordinary" stations - and all stations on metro and light-rail systems are referred to by the word "stantsiya".

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've always relished the business of the system running northward from Vancouver -- now part of the Canadian National -- originating a bit more than a century ago, and continuing for many decades, under the name of "Pacific Great Eastern Railway"; when it was about as far west in Canada, as you can get !
In fairness, if it was any further west, it'd be in the Orient. ;)

newmilton

Not quite an exact match, but the former Canadian Pacific terminus in Montreal was named Windsor Station, but the tracks have long since been removed and trains (suburban only now) terminate some distance from the old building at the new Lucien-L'Allier station, named for a former director of the Montreal Transit Commission. When our family moved out to Canada in 1970 (I subsequently moved back in 1999) we spent our first night in the Windsor hotel above the station.

Of course the Toronto area will also give you (off the top of my head) Scarborough, Whitby, Pickering and Aldershot, and probably others.

Last edited:

67thave

Not quite an exact match, but the former Canadian Pacific terminus in Montreal was named Windsor Station, but the tracks have long since been removed and trains (suburban only now) terminate some distance from the old building at the new Lucien-L'Allier station, named for a former director of the Montreal Transit Commission. When our family moved out to Canada in 1970 (I subsequently moved back in 1999) we spent our first night in the Windsor hotel above the station.

Of course the Toronto area will also give you (off the top of my head) Scarborough, Whitby, Pickering and Aldershot, and probably others.
Newmarket, Malton, Brampton, and Bradford are some on GO alone.
Of course, my favorite GO station name is a very unique one... Old Cummer.

newmilton

Newmarket, Malton, Brampton, and Bradford are some on GO alone.
Of course, my favorite GO station name is a very unique one... Old Cummer.
Plus Kingston, of course, half-way between Montreal and Toronto - don't know how I forgot that one. Curiously enough I also discovered the other day that there is a village in County Durham called Toronto (named after the city in Canada rather than the other way round), but it is not on the railway network.

Taunton

Established Member
Asking in my English accent for a ticket from Glasgow to Carmyle when visiting an industrial site there, I had to emphasise it such that I didn't get one to Carlisle.

Compliant to the question, as different countries :) . I wondered how often confusion actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.