• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Statues at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a Terence Cuneo statue at Waterloo but not sure if it's still there.
No longer at London Waterloo. An online news story from 2014 suggests that it had been removed and transported to an army barracks location in Medway, Kent (which, upon further investigation, would seem to be Brompton Barracks, home of the Corps of Royal Engineers.)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
No longer at London Waterloo. An online news story from 2014 suggests that it had been removed and transported to an army barracks location in Medway, Kent (which, upon further investigation, would seem to be Brompton Barracks, home of the Corps of Royal Engineers.)

Thanks for that. Makes sense, I suppose. Cuneo did plenty of 'military' painting besides his railway stuff. I met him once.

The exile

Established Member
Brunel is also now at Bristol Temple Meads, having been moved there from the Centre.

John Luxton

Established Member
Ken Dodd and Bessie Braddock MP at Liverpool Lime Street
One wonders why Bessie Braddock was placed in Liverpool Lime Street. As someone brought up in Liverpool she is very much a "marmite" controversial character seen by some as as an angel whilst by others including my own parents and grandparents she was reviled.

She is non too popular with the Welsh either as she was the prime mover when lead of Liverpool City Council in the flooding of Capel Celyn Village to built the reservoir in the Treweryn valley above Bala.

Her statue in Lime Street has been the target of protestors as this image from the Daily Post newspaper / web site shows.

Liverpool has many noteworthy former residents some one else should have been placed here such as Noel Chavasse VC.

Interestingly the Braddock statue is located close to Platform 7 which is often used by Transport for Wales services to Chester and Wrexham!

Winston Churchill is reputed to have made an interesting comment to her when she accused him of being drunk! :D

Attachments

• statue01.jpg
    statue01.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25

Basil Jet

On Moderation
There's a statue of a blue haired woman reading a book in the gateline booth at Borough Station. At least I think it's a statue, it never looks up or moves.

SargeNpton

Established Member
The 1960s build of Northampton featured a statue of St Christopher, which unfortunately disappeared in one of its many re-vamps. I'm told that it was rescued from being sent for scrap and is supposedly in someone's back garden in the town.

Aren't there also some stations in south-east London with statues seated on some of the platforms?

Edit: Now found a photo of the St Christopher...

Attachments

• St Christopher.jpg
    St Christopher.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Furrysquid

There are three steel trees just outside Birmingham New Street, erected as a memorial to the victims of the Birmingham pub bombings.

There's also several stations in the West Midlands where the info point by the station entrance has some form of sculpture on top - Olton has a knight, Jewellery Quarter has the works of a clock, and Smethwick Galton Bridge has a representation of Galton Bridge itself. And there's Kevin Atherton's "Iron Horse" between Brum and Wolverhampton.

4COR

On the other side of the drop off outside Oxford, there is the large bronze statue "The Ox" (by Olivia Musgrave).

Bud Neill's G.I. Bride in Partick Station:

Bud_Neill%27s_G_I_Bride.jpg

dave souza, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Spotted Josiah Wedgwood just opposite Stoke-on-Trent station today. It fits nicely into the general setting even if it isn't strictly on railway property.

(Unable to load my own image - too large - or paste a weblink - beyond me - but I expect that someone can oblige.)

JB_B

Established Member
“The Lovers” by Paul Day at St Pancras is wonderful.
Interesting - I've never come across anyone who likes that statue before - assuming that you're referring to the "hideous giant lizard-eyed people" :)

No accounting for taste...

D821

Interesting - I've never come across anyone who likes that statue before - assuming that you're referring to the "hideous giant lizard-eyed people" :)

No accounting for taste...
I've just had to look that up to see what the fuss is about, "giant lizard-eyed people" sums it up well.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There used to be a sculpture called 'Archform' by the Welsh artist Harvey Hood outside Newport station. It's now been moved to a new temporary home (aka storage) whilst the construction of the new footbridge over the station is taking place, and is supposed to be coming back. It's got no real connection with the railway, but it was, I think, a convenient place to put it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's an old industrial steam loco outside Stratford (London). Also the old underground tube cars perched on a disused viaduct near Shoreditch. Do these count as "statues"? Also the Harry Potter luggage trolley at KX...
No. A “Statue” is defined in most (all?) dictionaries as being of a person or animal.

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

Couple from Scotland, there is a statue of a young boy in Weymss Bay Station, locally known as Bobby, a modern art statue of a porter at Pitlochry and just outside Glasgow Central is a statue of a citizen firefighter.

urbophile

Established Member
It’s a great statue and completely appropriate for a railway station.
It's naff! But that is just my opinion.

The 1960s build of Northampton featured a statue of St Christopher, which unfortunately disappeared in one of its many re-vamps. I'm told that it was rescued from being sent for scrap and is supposedly in someone's back garden in the town.

Aren't there also some stations in south-east London with statues seated on some of the platforms?
No, they are just passengers who petrified while waiting.

LPJOHN

There is a large multi-coloured cat outside Kirkby station, installed today.

There is a large hand on platform 2 of Stoke on Trent.

Attachments

• 9765869A-49D1-48A8-A190-7EFC793E99C9.jpeg
    9765869A-49D1-48A8-A190-7EFC793E99C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 974F07E0-AA22-4EB5-B2A1-9B003B2D048E.jpeg
    974F07E0-AA22-4EB5-B2A1-9B003B2D048E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21

Mikey C

Established Member
Not a current station, but there's a statue of George Bernard Shaw at the restored Wheathampstead station

Status
Not open for further replies.