• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Unstaffed stations with toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Following on from the thread on important stations with no toilets at www.railforums.co.uk/threads/important-stations-with-no-toilets.191824 how many examples do you know of unstaffed stations that do have toilets?

For obvious reasons it is pretty rare for unstaffed stations to have toilets, but I can think of two examples: Garsdale on the Settle & Carlisle, and Ryde St John's Road on the Island Line. The latter kind of counts in that it has no ticket office, although I think the Island Line head office is in the main building on the northbound platform (or at least it was when it was a separate franchise).

Porthmadog station on the Cambrian line used to have toilets back in the 1980s even though it was already unstaffed by then (I think it had a station café, though) but I don't think it still does.

I would guess that where an unstaffed station has toilets, the station adopter (or station café owner or station house resident if there is one) has to keep an eye on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ge-gn

Saxmundam did until recently. I assume they disappeared when the station building burnt down a year or so ago.

DelW

Established Member
Porthmadog station on the Cambrian line used to have toilets back in the 1980s even though it was already unstaffed by then (I think it had a station café, though) but I don't think it still does.

I would guess that where an unstaffed station has toilets, the station adopter (or station café owner or station house resident if there is one) has to keep an eye on them.
Last time I was there, Porthmadog station had a pub in the station building (quite a pleasant one, too). It must have had toilets, though I can't remember if they were reached only from within the pub, or if they opened directly off the platform.

Many years ago (1970s) I used to go drinking in Manningtree station buffet, when it first became a real ale pub, and the toilets were at the other end of the platform. The station might still have had railway staff though.

SteveM70

Established Member
Crianlarich has toilet facilities (separate to the cafe) and is - I presume - unmanned

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
... Featuring various bits of NSE furniture and signage in time capsule-like condition!

https://www.railforums.co.uk/data/attachments/38/38076-79475ebecc7880b1dfd42b66389c0e3a.jpg

Love it! I believe it used to have a water boiler for free tea/coffee though I doubt that's there any more? I should drive down one time I go to London and experience it! :)

FWIW Bletchley building is left open 24/7 even when nobody is there (there is no other access to the platforms), though these days the anti-suicide security guards are usually knocking around (so vandalism is unlikely) and the bogs usually get left open for their benefit.

Gemz91

North Queensferry, don't think its staffed (but maybe). Although National Rail Enquires lists it as having no toilets, I defiantly used one there over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.