• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Unusual timetabled services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How about the 7.45 Clapham Junction to Guildford that runs via Ascot and Aldershot. Runs Monday to Friday. Use to start from Richmond. There's no equivalent in the opposite direction.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W93181/2015/01/09/advanced

Over the course of a whole day there are dozens of SWT services that only cover a subset of the normal overall route for the particular line, with no opposite direction version. What makes this one so unusual?

bramling

Veteran Member
my nomination is 2P99 0325 Peterborough - Kings Cross via Hertford North using a 4 car 365

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L01079/2015/01/13/advanced

despite what Realtime trains says about it being a 317 its definitely a 365 went on it the other week as i needed hertford north for track coverage and refuse to use a 313

Booked for a 365, and has been for as long as I can remember. MF the train goes on to form the first northbound Kings Lynn, which also has an unusual pattern, being fast FP to Stevenage, then all stations to Kings Lynn - the only northbound through service from Stevenage and Hitchin to Kings Lynn.

There's also a similar service in the evening, 0105 King's Cross to Royston (used to be Letchworth) via Hertford North, calling at some but not all of the stations on the Hertford line. Some time ago this was booked 1x317, but in the last few years has been booked 1x365.

Another slight oddity is that through the day the Kings Lynn trains are generally extensions of the fast Cambridge trains, in both directions. However from around 1800 the up Kings Lynn trains form the semi-fast services from Cambridge onwards. I presume this caters more conveniently for journeys such as Ely-Royston, however for others this is a pain, as it makes these trains busier than they would otherwise be south of Cambridge, they tend to be confined to 4 cars to avoid the need to join at Cambridge, and it provides a much slower journey for those travelling from Kings Lynn, Ely (etc) to London.

On the same line, there is an 0810 King's Cross to Peterborough which calls at Stevenage, St Neots, Huntington and Peterborough, and as 3x365. However this can be explained simply that this was originally an ECS move which recently was decided to be made a passenger service.

And on the subject of ECS moves, the 1422 King's Cross to Peterborough is formed from the 1230 Cambridge to King's Cross (arr 1332), however presumably because there is limited platform availability, the train runs empty to Hornsey reversing sidings and back to King's Cross. Really irritating, as it means the train doesn't arrive at King's Cross until a few minutes before departure time.

Finally, Saturday morning still sees one up service start from Huntingdon bay road. Can only assume this is for some kind of route knowledge or rusty rail prevention, as there doesn't seem to be any other obvious reason, especially now Peterborough has its additional platforms.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
I find the 0609 Bath to Glasgow quite cool :)

Nothing to do with getting a XC senior manager that lives in Bath to work at all that one.Not at all...whether they still do it or not I dont know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All trains stopping at Polesworth as they don't stop there on the way back.

All? Thought it was just one a day? Nothing stops the other way as you cant get off the platform.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I nominate the weekdays only 1Y20 0521 Oban to Glasgow Queen Street, as it is the only West Highland Line service to call at Cardross, Singer, Maryhill & Possilpark & Parkhouse.
For the purpose of schoolkids, quite a normal thing, I can think of quite a large number of stations that remain open almost entirely because of schoolkids travelling by train; (Ancaster, Rauceby, Swineshead, Hubberts Bridge, Thorpe Culvert, Havenhouse).

berneyarms

Established Member
my nomination is 2P99 0325 Peterborough - Kings Cross via Hertford North using a 4 car 365

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L01079/2015/01/13/advanced

despite what Realtime trains says about it being a 317 its definitely a 365 went on it the other week as i needed hertford north for track coverage and refuse to use a 313

Realtime trains does not tell you what type of train operates what service.

All it does is tell you the timing basis for the service.

There is a distinct difference.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Over the course of a whole day there are dozens of SWT services that only cover a subset of the normal overall route for the particular line, with no opposite direction version. What makes this one so unusual?

As far as I'm aware all other services to Guildford via Aldershot start and terminate at Ascot. It's the only one to start further back towards London.

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware all other services to Guildford via Aldershot start and terminate at Ascot. It's the only one to start further back towards London.

More of a rarity IMO as starting at Clapham Junction in the down direction. I can't think of any booked train that has done that (but stand to be corrected - the West of England milk empties in steam days doesn't count!)

causton

Established Member
Booked for a 365, and has been for as long as I can remember. MF the train goes on to form the first northbound Kings Lynn, which also has an unusual pattern, being fast FP to Stevenage, then all stations to Kings Lynn - the only northbound through service from Stevenage and Hitchin to Kings Lynn.

Don't forget the other way there is the last service from Kings Lynn to Kings Cross which calls at all stations from Kings Lynn to Hatfield, then Potters Bar, Finsbury Park and Kings Cross! Only direct train from Kings Lynn to Hatfield which is nice for me ;)

backontrack

Established Member
Off topic I know, but could we rename this into a trivia thread?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Berwick-London southbound only to cater for those without the Flying Scotsman. It is the only service to call at Retford but not Doncaster.

infobleep

Veteran Member
More of a rarity IMO as starting at Clapham Junction in the down direction. I can't think of any booked train that has done that (but stand to be corrected - the West of England milk empties in steam days doesn't count!)
Which surely makes it usual.

Sharpie

I always thought the East Coast services that called at Grantham, then Stevenage, but not Peterborough were a bit odd - as surely Peterborough is a lot larger?

over bank holidays when its 1tph only between Kings Cross and Leeds run they favour the Stevenage, Grantham calls over the Peterborough calls there has to be more demand from Peterborough than Grantham

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Skipping Peterborough will be a case of "load management".

I nominate the 2358 from Liverpool Street to Cambridge. Runs in the "slow" pattern- ie Tottenham Hale, Chesunt then all-stations.

Except it doesn't stop at Shelford, the last station before Cambridge. Never understood this. Shelford is only manned in the mornings, so it isn't a staffing issue there. the gates to the platforms don't get locked. So why not stop?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Realtime trains does not tell you what type of train operates what service.

All it does is tell you the timing basis for the service.

There is a distinct difference.

The times this has been pointed out on the Forum, countless in fact, and yet some people still don't seem to absorb it.

berneyarms

Established Member
The times this has been pointed out on the Forum, countless in fact, and yet some people still don't seem to absorb it.

To be fair it's someone with only 21 posts!!

There will always be people who don't know that - that's when deep breaths are called for!!

johnpeter3

I'd nominate the 1B59 0325 MSSuX Sheffield to Manchester Airport (via Moorthorpe, Wakefield Kirkgate, non-stop Huddersfield (the only westbound passenger not to stop AFAIK). Rather a circular tour of Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire for late-arriving airport passengers!

The return is 1B52 2330 Manchester Airport to Sheffield via the same route in reverse, at Huddersfield, Realtime Trains suggests this is platform 4 there, not the usual eastbound through platform number 8.

JP

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I suppose it's not that unusual, but my nomination would be the daily Cardiff Central - Manchester and return. It does a double-back between Filton Junction and Bristol Temple Meads in both directions, only calling at Filton Abbey Wood in one direction (admittedly the correct direction for the morning/evening peak flows).

It's unusual in that anybody wanting to do that journey end to end would be much quicker changing at Bristol Parkway to/from one of the FGW trains towards Cardiff/Swansea.

With the double-back in mind, I know holders of tickets between Cardiff and points north of Cheltenham are able to use this service to/from Cardiff (direct train rule) but can anyone speculate on validity for holders of tickets to other locations?

Edit - these are the runs made by this one:
5M25 Barton Hill - Cardiff (ECS - runs through the station, reversing to the west, returning to the eastbound platforms - this is usual for the Turbostar services too)
1M25 Cardiff - Manchester
1V65 Manchester - Cardiff
1C00 Cardiff - Bristol TM

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
Berwick-London southbound only to cater for those without the Flying Scotsman. It is the only service to call at Retford but not Doncaster.

Also the only service to start at Berwick.

O453 Inverness to Edinburgh and the 0929 Edinburgh to Aberdeen are the only trains which pass through Leuchars without stopping.

There used to be an early morning XC service from Edinburgh-Dundee (went onto form the Dundee-Penzance) which did not stop at Kirkcaldy as it was sometimes routed via Dunfermline for route training. It now runs ECS, normally via the coast.

The Southbound Highland Chieftain on Sundays makes additional calls at Carrbridge, Newtonmore, Blair Atholl, Dunkeld and Birnam and Dunblane but not on any other day.

VisualAcid

Sometimes the last train from Swindon to Gloucester via Bath, Bristol, Severn Tunnel Junction before reversing up to Gloucester via Lydney. All non-stop. Never seen anyone on it though!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hows about Thursday & Friday Only 1857 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly... Calling at Crewe and Manchester Piccadilly... and conveying only Standard Class accommodation.

najaB

Veteran Member
There used to be an early morning XC service from Edinburgh-Dundee (went onto form the Dundee-Penzance) which did not stop at Kirkcaldy as it was sometimes routed via Dunfermline for route training. It now runs ECS, normally via the coast.
The 1125 Plymouth to Dundee still goes round the Circle. Counts as an unusual route as the only passenger service that calls at Edinburgh and Dundee, but which doesn't pass or call at Kirkaldy.

Edit: Looking at RealtimeTrains it looks like it's routed around the Circle to stop it catching up to the all-stations stopper in front of it. Both are timed to take 31 minutes between Inverkeithing and Markinch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.