• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - What's your birth loco?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

My year of birth (1957) was clearly a watershed in the phasing out of steam. The first few months saw a variety of Standards still being built, but following the final Standard 5 in June it was only 4 2-6-0s and 9Fs. The last of the former appeared from Horwich on 27 November.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sluf

being born in 1962 i thought i may be in for a cracking loco but all i can find built on my birthday is 2 class 08s but one was constructed at Horwich which is only 20 miles away so i suppose that is a tangible link i can be thankful for.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
92186 at Swindon - (just knew it was going to be poor example of railway economics and "strategy") - a very short life , with potential limited.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
92186 at Swindon - (just knew it was going to be poor example of railway economics and "strategy") - a very short life , with potential limited.

I mean I hope you’re talking about the 9F there and not what your life became @ChiefPlanner, because I don’t think you did too badly? :lol:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I mean I hope you’re talking about the 9F there and not what your life became @ChiefPlanner, because I don’t think you did too badly? :lol:
Very kind , thank you. As others have said , the 9F's built at Swindon were built , like other engines there at the moment - to create work. (some to-ing and froing and even the BRB caved in !)

notverydeep

I’m another who was born in a long lean time for UK loco manufacturers, but my birthday does fall on the anniversary of the first passenger service provided by one of my employer’s key predecessor railway companies. I did get to ride on a special steam hauled service in the early hours of my birthday some years ago, which was operated to mark this significant anniversary of the operator…

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I didn't see any locos that were completed on my actual birthday, but there was one finished a few days later; it's an 87.

D6130

Established Member
Where can you find actual completion or delivery dates for BR Standard steam locos? The closest I can find on line are just the month and year of entry into service.

Where can you find actual completion or delivery dates for BR Standard steam locos? The closest I can find on line are just the month and year of entry into service.

This link in the original post for this thread:
(BRDatabase will quickly tell you!
Specifically, choose your year and month at
to get the actual dates

D6130

Established Member
This link in the original post for this thread:
Thanks....I seemed to have rather lost track of that!

I can confirm that no locos entered service on my actual birth date....but that the diesel locos mentioned in post #24 were actually correct for dates either side.

Steam-wise, BR Standard class 9F 2-10-0 no. 92179 entered service five days before my DOB and BR Standard class 4 2-6-0s 76098 and 76114 five days afterwards. All were destined to have ridiculously short lives.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
Looking on the BR data base, there was nothing for my actual birthday but for the month in question, two Class D2/7 0-6-0 diesels, both allocated to Birkenhead Mollington Street (6C), a Class 04 and four Class 08's were built (08230-232). Steam was 2 x Std Class 4MT tank (including No 80135 which survives today), a 9f (92080) and a Hawksworth 94xx 0-6-0PT (3405).

I will as and when see No 80135 in a different light now.

Mike Machin

November 1958, nothing on the day being a Saturday, but the previous day on the 21st it was D603 - the lovely North British A1A-A1A ‘Warship’ - later Classified Class 41.

DGH 1

I'm April 1970, so nothing for me unfortunately, however i have a boxed Triang Hornby class 37 and the date on the paper leaflet is my d.o.b, so can that count?.

Status
Not open for further replies.