• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truncated railway station termini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Would I be right in thinking that Bradford is the only place to see both railway stations truncated?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malcolmffc

Technically London qualifies due to platform shortening at Waterloo in the 1980s and closure of the Moorgate Thameslink branch

Eric

I'm not quite sure what the OP actually means but would Ormskirk and Kirkby qualify

The current stations at Forster Square and Interchange are about 150 metres further up the line from their original locations.

Are there any other examples of two or more stations in the same city?

The current stations at Forster Square and Interchange are about 150 metres further up the line from their original locations.

Are there any other examples of two or more stations in the same city?
London. Off the top of my head, St Pancras (domestic services) now terminate a couple of hundred yards north of the original 'blocks' and Paddington lost a few chains in the 90s when they extended the lawn. I seem to recall part of Liverpool Street also disappeared when rebuilt, although only a couple of platforms.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Where does ‘truncation’ become ‘closure’?

You could argue that Yarmouth Beach was truncated back to a few hundred yards out of Peterborough with the closure of the Midland & Great Northern whilst Yarmouth South Town was truncated to just beyond the end of the platforms at Lowestoft.

Plymouth Friary and Millbay were both truncated out of existence to leave trains at the through station north of the city centre.

Blackpool Central was truncated back to Blackpool South whilst Blackpool North was truncated back to its excursion platforms.

Morecambe had multiple stations, now truncated back to a single, remoter station in traffic terms.

Some services that used to run to Manchester Central via lines south of the city were truncated back to Piccadilly via Ardwick and some that used to run to Exchange were truncated back to Victoria.

[Edit: Some of these places not ‘cities’, of course.]

alangla

Glasgow has gone the other way - most of the platforms at Queen Street now end closer to George Square and what was P11A at Central was extended into the old on-platform car park.

In terms of truncated stations, surely Morecambe needs mentioned, you can see the old one from the new across Morrison's car park

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Glasgow has gone the other way - most of the platforms at Queen Street now end closer to George Square and what was P11A at Central was extended into the old on-platform car park.

In terms of truncated stations, surely Morecambe needs mentioned, you can see the old one from the new across Morrison's car park
Was Morecambe Promenade ever truncated?

Midnight Sun

Stations where the track has been truncated back along the line from where the buffers used to be.

These are ones that I know of.

UK

Fort William
Windermere
St Ives
Windsor central
Sudbury
Braintree
Blackpool South
Blackpool North
Morecambe
Heysham

Ireland

Kilkenny
Killarney

randyrippley

Established Member
Was Morecambe Promenade ever truncated?
not in the sense you mean, but I've a memory that in the latter years DMUs stopped half way up the platform for some technical reason, they didn't draw up to the buffers. But the platforms were never shortened.
As regards the current station, its more or less on the site of an earlier abandoned station

Bevan Price

Established Member
Stations where the track has been truncated back along the line from where the buffers used to be.

UK

Fort William
Windermere
St Ives
Windsor central
Sudbury
Braintree
Blackpool South
Blackpool North
Morecambe
Heysham

Many platforms at Liverpol Lime St lost about one chain at the buffer-stop end some years ago.

randyrippley

Established Member

UK

Fort William
Windermere
St Ives
Windsor central
Sudbury
Braintree
Blackpool South
Blackpool North
Morecambe
Heysham

Ireland

Kilkenny
Killarney

you can add Weymouth and Windermere to that list

Marton

Saltburn used to have more and longer platforms.

In its heyday I believe that there was an even more distant platform for hotel passengers.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Wrexham Central - and though not truncated Wrexham Exchange (which is now associated with Wrexham General) lost a platform and had the remaining one shortened.

Mugby

Established Member
Felixtowe has been truncated at some point to allow a shopping arcade to be created out of the original station building.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
London. Off the top of my head, St Pancras (domestic services) now terminate a couple of hundred yards north of the original 'blocks' and Paddington lost a few chains in the 90s when they extended the lawn. I seem to recall part of Liverpool Street also disappeared when rebuilt, although only a couple of platforms.

Yes there were two extra long platforms in the middle of Liverpool Street Station, you had to walk all around them if you wanted to get from one side to the other. I think I recall getting an intercity type train to King's Lynn from there.

I think Exmouth is a shadow of it's former self and Shepperton used to have two platforms too. Sheerness had a central running road in between platforms 1 & 2 which I think have been removed. Twickenham had 5 platforms and still does, although 1 & 2 are not used any more, I think they used to be used by royal mail post trains as there was a walk way to the adjacent sorting office, extra Rugger services used to park there as well.

Last edited:

oldchap

Arguably at Balloch the line was truncated to cut both Balloch Pier and Balloch Central out of existence and create the new Balloch station south of the level crossing.

AndyW33

Then there are stations that were originally on through routes which became termini by default when the line beyond them was closed, and the line was then truncated further by relocating the station a short distance.
Uckfield is a good example, and Sheringham an interesting one since the original station still exists and is still used by trains, just not on the national network. In both cases the stated reason for the relocation was to remove a level crossing which was right at the platform end, and the national network station is now just the other side of the level crossing

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looe and Gunnislake were and still are truncated.

Falmouth was truncated by building what is now Falmouth Town station, but trains now serve both the original and the replacement.

With those to add to what others have posted above, the Western Region really had a thing for truncation!

Bedpan

Established Member
Looe and Gunnislake were and still are truncated.

Falmouth was truncated by building what is now Falmouth Town station, but trains now serve both the original and the replacement.

With those to add to what others have posted above, the Western Region really had a thing for truncation!
I don't think that Falmouth branch has been truncated, the line still runs into the original terminus with the semicircular platform awning.

Bedpan

Established Member
Then there are stations that were originally on through routes which became termini by default when the line beyond them was closed, and the line was then truncated further by relocating the station a short distance.
Uckfield is a good example, and Sheringham an interesting one since the original station still exists and is still used by trains, just not on the national network. In both cases the stated reason for the relocation was to remove a level crossing which was right at the platform end, and the national network station is now just the other side of the level crossing
Thinking of the NNR, and probably could not strictly be termed a truncation, Holt station is now nearer Sheringham than it was in BR days.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't think Ilkley's current platforms have been shortened at the bufferstops end, but the former through platforms continued beyond the point of the stops.

St. Ives is further up the line than it used to be, similar to both Looe and Gunnislake.

With regard to the OP though, I can't think of anywhere besides London, Blackpool and Bradford where it's happened at two different locations.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't think that Falmouth branch has been truncated, the line still runs into the original terminus with the semicircular platform awning.
Wikipedia for Falmouth Town:
The station was opened as Falmouth by British Rail on 7 December 1970[2] when the branch line was cut back by 845 metres (924 yd) to terminate here. The platform was constructed using components from Perranporth Beach Halt which had closed in 1963.

It was renamed The Dell on 5 May 1975[3] when the original Falmouth station was reopened,[2] subsequently being renamed again, this time to Falmouth Town on 15 May 1989.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falmouth_Town_railway_station

Status
Not open for further replies.