• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truncated railway station termini

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDM

Victoria high number platforms buffer stops used to be in line with those on the suburban platforms.

As part of a keep fit programme the main line platforms, other than Gatwick express, require a long crowded walk usually with luggage towards Clapham junction.

But it did happen a long time ago. 1980's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
Wrexham Central was moved 20 years ago about 300m to build on the site of the original station which had been the terminal since the rest of the line was closed.

trebor79

Established Member
Portishead was truncated with a new station built, and then the whole line closed some years later.

gord

When I grew up in Lowestoft, there were several ideas mooted to push the town's station further up the line. One idea was by a few hundred yards so that the road system around Station Square could be improved. Another was to put a new terminus beyond the docks near Normanston Park to allow for a third road crossing across Lake Lothing to be built. The most controversial was to actually terminate the line just west of Oulton Broad North so that the level crossing could be got rid of to help traffic. Don't know what that would have meant for the East Suffolk line.

Thankfully, none of these were really taken seriously and I only ever saw these ideas mooted in the local paper.

We did lose our station roof though.

DPWH

On Moderation
Stranraer ought to be truncated, since the harbour station isn't good for the town.

RichT54

Ramsgate Town and Ramsgate Harbour stations were closed, replaced by the current Ramsgate station which is further away from the town centre.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
King's Cross main shed platforms were shortened a bit for the redevelopment, weren't they, to provide greater circulation space inside the building? Not an issue, as there's still ~250m of platform on all of 0-8

pdeaves

Established Member
King's Cross main shed platforms were shortened a bit for the redevelopment, weren't they, to provide greater circulation space inside the building? Not an issue, as there's still ~250m of platform on all of 0-8
Interestingly, Euston had a 'negative truncation', the buffers having moved southwards extending the line a little. Paddington has moved a little, too (in the usual, country-bound direction).

Bedpan

Established Member
Has Uckfield been mentioned yet? As far as I remember, the station was resited to the other side of the level crossing when the line from there to Lewes was shut.
I was thinking of that yesterday, but somebody had already said it.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
According to that most worthy of publications "Branch Line News" (which has even been featured as a guest publication on "Have I got News for You") ...

On the Manx Electric Railway, trams to Ramsey now terminate at a "temporary" station south of the Parsonage Road crossing due to the poor condition of the track at the "old" station, 5 ch to the north. However the booking office, toilets etc remain in use at the old site. The last trams to the old station in passenger service ran on Sun 30th Oct 2016 (so I was lucky enough to do it a month earlier). Apparently the tracks in the old station are occasionally used for recessing trams ECS during special events like TT week.

It is not known whether the track will be repaired so the old station might see trams again. Indeed there has even been a proposal to close the Laxey - Ramsey section of the MER to save a mere £708,000.

Steamysandy

North Berwick was cut back to 4 coach lengths on single track from roughly 10 coach lengths on double track between 1969 and the late. 1980s
The platform has now had to be extended back up the branch towards Drem.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Broad Street contracted as fewer platforms were used, the canopy was truncated to cover just the first hundred feet or so of the platforms, and by the end it was just one platform up on the viaduct with temporary stairs built of scaffolding and a shed for a ticket office.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Broad Street contracted as fewer platforms were used, the canopy was truncated to cover just the first hundred feet or so of the platforms, and by the end it was just one platform up on the viaduct with temporary stairs built of scaffolding and a shed for a ticket office.
This could prompt a new thread "which station died the most painful way?". Broad Street is a good entry but my Snow Hill has a case too!

Parallel

Established Member
I believe Looe has as well, with the platform now being slightly further away from the town.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Has Uckfield been mentioned yet? As far as I remember, the station was resited to the other side of the level crossing when the line from there to Lewes was shut.
It happened when the line was singled and resignalled in the 1990s, long after the line to Lewes was shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.