• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TS 2020 Diesel Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
This cracked me up!
I know it's not accurate, it's just a bit of fun.
Once you see the line-up please post a guess before the race starts.
BTW- My money was on the class 67.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I'd go class 37. 67's have poor acceleration. It's about power/weight ratio I think.

Edit: I've now watched it; interesting!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If the 73 was on electric I’d say that.
If not then I think I might go for the 70 up to about 50mph?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Are these all running light engine? I think the Deltic, it has a high power-to-weight ratio and passenger gearing.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Well it really depends on a couple of things.

The length of the drag strip (that's effectively what it is - just with rails instead of tarmac), the weather conditions and any possible gradients there might be.

Let's assume it's half a mile long, there are perfect weather conditions and is on completely level ground.

With that in mind, I say the order is: 70 > 66 > 37 > freight 47 (assuming that's what the separate 47s are for) > passenger 47 (ETS lumps a bit of weight which slows things down) > 33 > Deltic > 73 (assuming on diesel - electric motors should help with initial propulsion) > 67.

If you bump the length up to a mile, then I think we're looking at: 70 > 37 > 66 > 47 #1 > 47 #2 > Deltic > 67 > 33 > 73.

Going up to 2 miles, the locos will have probably maxed out, in which case it would probably look like: 67 > Deltic > 47 #2 > 33 > 37 > 70 > 66 > 47 #1 > 73.

That isn't taking into account things like weather, which would probably help out the heavier locos a bunch, or gradients, which would probably add more raw power into the mix.

I've probably massively overcomplicated that but it's fun to take a more complex look at things. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.