• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TSSA Strike Crosscountry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blytheski

Just as we thorght the strikes were coming to an end at crosscountry the TSSA union announce a strike. Wonder how this will affect services.
https://www.tssa.org.uk/en/whats-ne...at-cross-country-trains-for-friday-26-january
TSSA call strike at Cross Country Trains for Friday 26 January
15 January 2018

TSSA members employed as managers in Cross Country that are not covered by collective bargaining have delivered a clear verdict on the unfair 1% pay increase they have received from the company.

In a turnout of 78%, 50 members (71.4% of those voting) voted for strike action, with 20 (28.6%) against, and 62 (87.3% of those voting) voted for action short of a strike with just 9 (12.6%) voting against.

TSSA has therefore given notice of a strike on Friday 26 January 2018.

Discussions will take place during this week to decide if notice should be given of action short of strike action, and what form that action may take.

However, it is hoped that the company will now fully realise the depth of anger that exists amongst its managers and will enter into constructive discussions to resolve this dispute and avoid the necessity for those managers to take industrial action.

TSSA Organising Director Steve Coe said “this ballot is truly historic. It is unprecedented for railway managers, especially ones not covered by collective bargaining, to vote so decisively for action over pay.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
It looks like just managers striking, so I'm hoping that's referring to the suits at XC rather than Train Managers...

Blytheski

Yes i did wonder whether it was managers or Train Managers.

I guess if its managers it will have little impact on services.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Managers will include Resource staff and Controllers. It will not run any service without them

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Managers will include Resource staff and Controllers. It will not run any service without them

It basically includes all office staff. “Manager” simply refers to the type of contract the staff are on. Most are not managers and nearly all of them aren’t “suits”.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
So the same managers who put their freedom at risk by undertaking guards roles with little training in the understanding it'll benefit their career have been offered a 1% payrise.....

When will these people learn the brass couldn't give a monkeys about you, just like us muppets on the shop floor.

So on top of all the work you had to do at home or stay longer in the office which you had to drop to cover the gaurds, you'll be doing even more unpaid overtime to catch up on your own work when your on strike....

What comes around, goes around.

BestWestern

Established Member
So the same managers who put their freedom at risk by undertaking guards roles with little training in the understanding it'll benefit their career have been offered a 1% payrise.....

When will these people learn the brass couldn't give a monkeys about you, just like us muppets on the shop floor.

So on top of all the work you had to do at home or stay longer in the office which you had to drop to cover the gaurds, you'll be doing even more unpaid overtime to catch up on your own work when your on strike....

The definition of "in the understanding it'll benefit their career" is very subjective here. It has been generally accepted in the past at other TOCs that those working as "contingency Guards" are not always willing volunteers. Some love it of course, however some do it because arms are being twisted. That could well explain why a low pay offer has been received as so insulting.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It looks like just managers striking, so I'm hoping that's referring to the suits at XC rather than Train Managers...
Management grade, so not exclusively people wearing suits, and not Train Managers.

XC are a horrible company who treat both staff and customers badly.
Does that also apply to people with a poor attitude and lack of understanding towards others?

Clip

Established Member
Who says its just 'managers'? A lot of newer management will be on a non union contract. Plus you seem to be under the impression that those who covered the guards role did so to benefit their careers? I would think not.

I'm not sure you understand the situation fully here and the grades that could be going on strike - please check alter ego post above yours

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
“Asked” you can say No.

Should you then be at the end of unfair treatment because of that refusaal there are processes that can address it.

If you are a member of a trade union, you should not morally undertake work that is not your core employment whilst other TU members are engaged in legal strike action.

You’ll never be thanked for covering for strike breaking, this 1% pay offer is evidence of that - TMs got/will get upwards of at least 3%.

Jonfun

Established Member

Do you have a source for the suggestion they have had "little training"?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Office staff which are training to become a guard learn for 3 weeks..

simon7929

Three weeks training when a guard at Northern takes approximately fourteen weeks. This alone should be enough grounds to refuse to work a train vice a guard, on the grounds of safety. If three weeks was enough then why do they give 'real' guards fourteen weeks approximately to train for the role?

Established Member
Management grade, so not exclusively people wearing suits, and not Train Managers.

XC are a horrible company who treat both staff and customers badly.
Your source for that? I would say quite the opposite actually.

simon7929

These people put their own welfare in danger as well as the welfare of the traveling public. By agreeing to work trains with insufficient training. When asked by a company to do this, there should only be one answer. I have no sympathy for anybody who compromises the safety of others for financial rewards or the promise of bettering their careers.

Established Member
These people put their own welfare in danger as well as the welfare of the traveling public. By agreeing to work trains with insufficient training. When asked by a company to do this, there should only be one answer. I have no sympathy for anybody who compromises the safety of others for financial rewards or the promise of bettering their careers.
Your source for this? A lot if not most of the staff covering trains over the strike period were CSMs who used to be Train Managers or Driver Managers...

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have said as much as I can say on a public forum.
Which amounts to absolutely zero. If you're going to say things that could be considered leaking of confidential information then I would suggest either follow through with it or don't initiate it in the first place.

As it is stands looks like you've just made this up.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Which amounts to absolutely zero. If you're going to say things that could be considered leaking of confidential information then I would suggest either follow through with it or don't initiate it in the first place.

As it is stands looks like you've just made this up.
It didn't look like that to me (as a neutral). As a side issue it seems to me a very good idea to get office people out onto the trains as experience. If they are ex-train workers, a good method of keeping fresh and aware of latest developments.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It didn't look like that to me (as a neutral).
What does it look like to you then? Someone goes around asking everyone for their source, and then makes wild claims (which doubtless their employer would strongly dispute) and when themselves asked for a source they say they are unable to provide one? Does that suggest reliability to you?

HowardGWR

Established Member
What does it look like to you then? Someone goes around asking everyone for their source, and then makes wild claims (which doubtless their employer would strongly dispute) and when themselves asked for a source they say they are unable to provide one? Does that suggest reliability to you?
Yes, as none of those things struck me as you put it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why would you resign?
Exactly. You wouldn't. Sometimes you have to do something in your job that you may not be entirely happy with, but if you want to keep your job, you just need to get on with those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.