• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turbo's Green Lining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo004

After reading of all these great trip reports I thought I'd make an attempt at writing up my trip reports. First of all my main aim is to travel on all the train lines in Great Britain. When I have travelled on a new line I mark it off in my Rail Atlas with a green pen.
My next trip I'm planning is a return to the London area on Tuesday. The plan is as follows 11.35 Chester - Milton Keynes, Southern to Clapham Junction. Hopefully I'll see a Class 707 here and the Class 20 which has been stabled there for a while. Then the plan is to get to Ealing Broadway via Richmond and Turnham Green. I've never travelled on the underground between Gunnersbury and Turnham Green so hopefully this will be the first bit of green lining.
From Ealing Broadway I plan to catch a train which uses the Acton Diveunder to Paddington for the second bit of green lining. Then Heathrow Connect to Heathrow Terminal 123 hopefully over part of the Stockley Flyover that I've not done before. Then back to Paddington this time with Heathrow Express once again hopefully over another part of Stockley Flyover that I've not done.
For the final part of green lining I plan to try and do the Bermondsey Diveunder. To get from Paddington I plan to use the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross, then National Rail to London Bridge. I believe Southern services from London Bridge to Caterham use the Diveunder but am uncertain if any other trains do?
Finally from New Cross Gate back home hopefully with a Class 700 from London Bridge to St Pancras and then quiet trains to Chester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
You won't be getting a 700 from London Bridge to St Pancras at the end of the day as Thameslink don't run that way at the moment. Depending on the time of the day you can either grab a SET to Charing Cross for a LU service to blackfriars or Northern line to Kings Cross

Far north 37

Established Member
as far as i know the acton diveunder isnt in use yet and probably wont be till crossrail trains start running

Turbo004

Many thanks for that info Kite about 700's. I think I'll alter that plan from New Cross Gate and just get home as fast as I can. According to Tfl website is CrossRail to Canada Water, Jubilee line to Green Park and finally Victoria line to Euston. Seems like I'll have to wait to catch a Class 700. It reminds me of when Voyagers came out and I wanted to catch one. Instead I just got Class 47's all the time. Looking back of course the 47's were much more enjoyable. The Acton Diveunder is defiantly open. A friends been on it.

Far north 37

Established Member
ah right it was just im passing that way on service most operators all the time and have never been through it and never seen another service use it thought it wasnt being used thats all

Turbo004

I think the Acton diveunder is only ever used if there is a freight train leaving Acton yard which conflicts with a train on the down slow. Hence it is rarely used at the moment. I'm told that there is a signal which can be viewed from Ealing Broadway station which indicates which down slow trains will use the diveunder. My plan is to stand on Ealing Broadway station and wait for an hour or two hoping that a train is signalled that way.

Far north 37

Established Member
I think the Acton diveunder is only ever used if there is a freight train leaving Acton yard which conflicts with a train on the down slow. Hence it is rarely used at the moment. I'm told that there is a signal which can be viewed from Ealing Broadway station which indicates which down slow trains will use the diveunder. My plan is to stand on Ealing Broadway station and wait for an hour or two hoping that a train is signalled that way.
that makes sense then just wouldnt be surprised if you waited there for hours and didnt get it as i say i get a lot of trains from ealing broadway and none have ever used so you might have a long wait. just trying to save you time you could maybe put to use elsewhere and once crossrail is running it will be in regular use so maybe better going for it then

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member

also iirc the acton diveunder was built for conflicting freight trains as you already mentioned but was built for the extra services when crossrail trains start running as the service on the down slow is the same as before i cant see it being really used till crossrail starts

Turbo004

I had a little trip out for work today. Just Chester to Crewe return. I won't normally report on these as I do the trip so frequently. However today's outward journey was a little bit different. Firstly when I got to Chester station 56105 was in the station on a ballast train which was a winner for sight for me. Secondly the 08.40 for Crewe was two three car 175's so plenty of space to spread out. Finally it was my first trip in daylight for ages. It was a lovely crisp morning with a light frost and a slight mist. The return was uneventful in the dark on a packed 150.

Turbo004

Here goes. My first big trip report. The day has finally arrived. My first green lining trip of the year - travelling along railway lines that I have never travelled on before.

However the day didn't start well. My Arriva Trains Pass / Identity Card still hasn't arrived so I had to visit Morrisons by Bache station for a photo first. Halfway to Morrison's though I realised I'd forgotten my PRIV pass. There was only one thing for it. Run back home for it and then run to Morrisons.
In the end I made it with a sweaty eight minutes to spare.
It was a good job I was early for it as the train left two minutes early formed of two Class 508's.

I don't understand whilst the engineering work is on and trains are only running as far a as Birkenhead Central why most services are 6 car
when normally the trains through to Liverpool are three car. I shouldn't complain though as it means there is plenty of room. At Chester station I now had plenty of time to get my photocard and meet my parents.
My parents are going away on a cruise so I was helping them with their bags as far as Clapham Junction and then going green lining round London.

I'd reserved three table seats on the 11.35 to London for us. Unfortunately they weren't around one table but on adjacent tables. I do wish there was a system whereby you could book seats and know where you are sitting more easily. Apart from this all went remarkably smoothly as far as Clapham Junction especially considering we caught a Southern service from Milton Keynes. 92043 was on the former Crewe Diesel depot, a green Class 47 on Basford Hall with 70017 shunting on Basford Hall.

Like others have said the 377's are very good units being smooth, clean and spacious. Slow progress was made past Wembley Yards allowing me to bag 3 new Class 66's for sight. After seeing my parents off at Clapham Junction I wondered onto the bridge seeing my first Class 707's and two Rail Operations Group Class 47's. Sadly though no Class 20 to be seen and I couldn't get the numbers of the Class 707's which were too far away.

Onwards to Ealing Broadway via Richmond and Turnham Green. This had the added bonus of a bit of underground green line between Gunnersbury and Turnham Green, the first of the Diveunder's.

I'd managed to get to Ealing Broadway 30 minutes ahead of schedule. This allowed me to attempt for two and a half hours the Acton Diveunder.
After grabbing a weird flat onion bhaji and a mini pitza I headed to the London end of the up slow platform to await developments.
I'd heard if the first signal after the station had a left hand feather it would be going on the Diveunder.
The problem was I couldn't see the signal very well.
There was definately a light above the signal but it could well be an engine in Acton yard.
Eventually I decided I'd just get on the first train and see if it used the diveunder.
If it didn't use the Diveunder I'd just get on the first train back and just try again.
I was in massive luck when the first train I caught using the Diveunder.
On the approaches to Paddington I saw my first FGW 387, 387141.
Despite working in Crewe station one day a week where I beieve they have been going on test I'd never been lucky enough to see one, never mind get the number of one.
By the end of today I'd seen seven different FGW 387's.
Also on the approaches to Paddington I got a new 08 and a new GBRF 67 working on CrossRail.

As I got off the train at Paddington I was fortunate to spot the Retro Intercity liveried power car.
Overall whilst on the Great Western Network I saw 2 new power cars for sight.
The next part of my trip was pretty straight forward going out on Heathrow Connect to Heathrow 123 returning to Paddington on the Heathrow Express.
This produced two new green lines for me on the two flyovers required at Stockley.
I would recommend Heathrow Express as an experience if you've not done it.
I know it's expensive but if you book ahead it's not too bad.
It must be one of the most luxirious trains in the UK and is unusual in having TV's on board.

Arriving back at Paddington in the main part of the station was excellent allowing me to admire the vast arches.
From Paddington I caught a rather empty bakerloo train to Baker Street and a busier Jubilee line train to London Bridge.
The refurbishment of London Bridge is taking shape.
Although it will never be as impressive as Paddington you can tell it will be vastly better than Birmingham New Street with shafts of light reaching the large concourse.

I easily found a Caterham service which I believed would use the Bermondsley Diveunder to the slow lines and stop at New Cross Gate.
Moments before departure they announced it would be first stop Norwood Junction hence would probably use the fast lines and not the Diveunder.
I quickly gathered my things and rushed for the exit doors getting off in the nick of time.

Looking back on it Caterham services stop at all stations off peak but miss out the inner London stops in the peak.
I still can't understand why I didn't double check the stopping pattern of the service before boarding.
Anyway I quickly found a service leaving from a terminal platform to New Cross Gate.
However as I walked up to board the servive they announced it would be going non stop to Crystal Palace so would probably not use the Diveunder.

Looking at all services leaving London Bridge terminals none seemed to be stopping at New Cross Gate so I asked for assistance.
I was told the next service was the 17.52 service to London Victoria.
I wondered over to it but this was the service that had just been announced as going non stop to Crystal Palace.
Back to the same person who was very apologetic and advised me to wait for the 18.21 service which was stopping all stations.
This seemed a safe better.
Whilst a Caterham service got announced as stopping additionally at New Cross Gate it was then fast to Norwood Junction.
As a result it may go fast line and not Diveunder so I felt it best to wait for the 18.21.

Whilst waiting I observed four Class 442's.
I was really pleased I saw these I thought they had all been withdrawn.
They looked out of placein White Gatwick express livery and if Southern are keeping a few surely they should be repainted.
These units were rumoured to be coming to Arriva a couple of months ago as well as just about everyother TOC.
Before they move to another TOC looking from the exterior they may need as refurbishment as I observed a window taped up among other things.

Whilst I did all this "tooing and throwing" at London Bridge I collided with a number of people.
Every time I apologised but the other people were in such a rush they didn't look back.
Perhaps it's a sign of how busy and congested this great city is becoming.

After 50 minutes of waiting it was time to board the 18.21 service to New Cross Gate.
Carefully getting a window seat I hoped to see in the dark if we used the Diveunder.
Eventually the train departed and after what felt like on age the train used the Diveunder.
Success!

After this I made a mad dash back to Euston for the 19.10 to Chester.
Along the way I caught my busiest service of the day the 18.45 Green Park to Euston.
Perhaps this is a sign that people are working later in London with rush hour consequently later.
I made the 19.10 service which considering I was heading south from London Bridge less than 50 minutes ago shows how quickly you can cross London.
With everything achieved that I had aimed for I settled back for an uneventful journey back to Chester.

I hope you've enjoyed the read. Please find the stats below.

Stats
5 Green lines (4 passenger and 1 underground/light rail)
39 new numbers
15644 steps

508139 + 508119 Bache - Chester
221... Chester - Milton Keynes
377... Milton Keynes - Clapham Junction
450111 + 450016 Clapham Junction - Richmond
Tube Richmond - Turnham Green
Tube Turnham Green - Ealing Broadway
360203 Ealing Broadway - London Paddington
360203 London Paddington - Heathrow 123
332008 + 332002 Heathrow 123 - London Paddington
Tube Paddington - Baker Street
Tube Baker Street - London Bridge
377703 + 377611 London Bridge - New Cross Gate
378145 New Cross Gate - Canada Water
Tube Canada Water - Green Park
Tube Green Park - Euston
221... + 221... London Euston - Chester

Attachments

• 3 Diveunders and 2 Flyovers.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 10

Welshman

Established Member
The VT website has a seat selector so you can change the seats allocated for some you would prefer.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting reading, lots of little bits of track to clear around London etc. Seeing the 442s must have been nice too.

Turbo004

Interesting reading, lots of little bits of track to clear around London etc. Seeing the 442s must have been nice too.

Glad enjoyed the read Cowley. It was great to see the 442's. I was very tempted to catch one of the Class 442's to East Croydon. In the end I decided as I've travelled on them before I'd just do the Bermondsey divunder and get home as soon as possible to be with my wife and young child.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good day in London, I will make a more detailed response to some of your queries when I get home and onto the laptop :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Regarding Merseyrail, isn't it currently double units due to the reduction in service (half hourly instead of 4 an hour)?

Certainly was a bit of a farce for that dive under at London Bridge, at least the Acton dive under was easy enough to get into the book.

Agreed with the 332s being nice, although those TVs are a waste of space as all they show is advertising for "Tata Communications", whoever they are (at least when it was Vodafone the man on the Clapham Omnibus knew the brand). I probably need parts of that Stockley flyover, most likely the part in the middle (I've gone into Heathrow via Express on the fasts and come out via Connect to the reliefs).

Regarding the 442s, Southern have kept some for peak-time services from London Bridge to Brighton/Eastbourne, although I believe they are sending them off-lease in the next month or so (can't remember what the latest issue of Today Railways said) replaced with 377/2s back from Thameslink duties

455driver

Veteran Member
as far as i know the acton diveunder isnt in use yet and probably wont be till crossrail trains start running

It is in use and has been used by at least one passenger train after the driver requested to be routed that way for route amalgamation purposes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the trip reporters club!

An excellent read which I rather enjoyed, I need to look into what I need at Stockley these days. Did a Connect out of Heathrow to Hayes but not sure what exactly happens now. Acton Diveunder very much required too!

Turbo004

Thanks for all the comments. Just started planning my March green lining trip. I'm planning on going on a Tramway and Parry People mover day. First the aim is to go to Manchester for the second city crossing(2CC). Then the plan is to go to Birmingham for the City Centre tram extension. My final aim for the day is to go to Stourbridge to travel on the Parry People mover. Whilst I have travelled on this line the last time was about 25 years ago on a first generation bubble car!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the comments. Just started planning my March green lining trip. I'm planning on going on a Tramway and Parry People mover day. First the aim is to go to Manchester for the second city crossing(2CC). Then the plan is to go to Birmingham for the City Centre tram extension. My final aim for the day is to go to Stourbridge to travel on the Parry People mover. Whilst I have travelled on this line the last time was about 25 years ago on a first generation bubble car!

That is going to be a busy day :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A busy but hugely rewarding day that will be. I need to go back to Manchester next month for 2CC, more 170 avoidance!

Turbo004

My plan for Wednesday is decided. Unfortunately due to other comitments I'm now only aiming to do the Birmingham tram line. The second city crossing at Manchester and the Parry People mover will have to wait for another day. The plan is:
09.55 Chester - Crewe Arriva 150
10.49 Crewe - Smethwick Galton Bridge Class 350
11.47 Smethwick Galton Bridge - Jewellery Quarter London Midland 172
Tram Jewellery Quarter - Grand Central
13.04 Birmingham New Street - Birmingham International Cross Country 220/221
13.38 Birmingham International - Birmingham New Street Cross Country Class 200/221
14.14 Birmingham New Street - Crewe Virgin 390 or 221
15.23 Crewe - Chester Arriva 150
I'm one of these people who always likes a fixed plan but on the day don't mind at all if in the end the plan goes better or worse than expected.

Turbo004

Sorry to say I've been a bit bad updating my trip reports and commenting on others. A quick update then on what I've been up to.
On March 15th my trip to do the Birmingham Tram from Jewllery Quarter to Grand Central was successful. I managed to get as far as Leamington Spa for a break before heading home. Leamington Spa must be my second favourite station, second only to Ely.
1st April : Trip to Bluebell Railway diesel gala. Excellent day with first ever haulage by Class 73's. It was also only my second ever time I've had haulage behind a Class 50. The first was about 35 years ago behind Superb between Birmingham New Street and Cheltenham Spa.
May 2017 : Trip to Manchester Metrolink to travel on second city crossing. If you've never travelled on Manchester Metrolink it's well worth trying it out both for it's intnsity of services and variety of lines.
27th June : Chester - Shrewsbury. Out via Wrexham back via Crewe. The highlight was seeing a Class 88.
3rd July : Chester - Cardiff. The highlight was travelling down to Cardiff with 67029.
9th August : Viewing 73951 and 73952 in Chester Goods Yard.
September Trip: Hoping to travel to Oban

Turbo004

Sorry to say I've been a bit bad updating my trip reports and commenting on others. A quick update then on what I've been up to.
On March 15th my trip to do the Birmingham Tram from Jewllery Quarter to Grand Central was successful. I managed to get as far as Leamington Spa for a break before heading home. Leamington Spa must be my second favourite station, second only to Ely.
1st April : Trip to Bluebell Railway diesel gala. Excellent day with first ever haulage by Class 73's. It was also only my second ever time I've had haulage behind a Class 50. The first was about 35 years ago behind Superb between Birmingham New Street and Cheltenham Spa.
May 2017 : Trip to Manchester Metrolink to travel on second city crossing. If you've never travelled on Manchester Metrolink it's well worth trying it out both for it's intnsity of services and variety of lines.
27th June : Chester - Shrewsbury. Out via Wrexham back via Crewe. The highlight was seeing a Class 88.
3rd July : Chester - Cardiff. The highlight was travelling down to Cardiff with 67029.
9th August : Viewing 73951 and 73952 in Chester Goods Yard.
September : Planning a trip to Oban.

Turbo004

I've finally got a plan for my next green lining trip. I always like a trip to Scotland once a year preferably before the nights draw in too much. The lines I've got left to cover are rather distant.This year I'm trying to get to Oban and back in the day. If anyone can let me know what type of units these are going to be I would be very grateful as my knowledge of Scotish units is rather limited.

05.38 Chester - Warrington Bank Quay Class 175
06.15 Warrington Bank Quay - Glasgow Central. Voyager I think as service starts at Crewe.
09.28 Glasgow Central - Andreston Whifflet - Dalmuir service Unit type ??
09.41 Anderston - Exhibition Centre Larkhall - Milngavie sevice Unit type ??
09.55 Exhibition Centre - Yoker Motherwell - Dalmuir service Unit type ??
10.25 Yoker - Dalmuir another Motherwell - Dalmuir service Unit type ??
10.38 Dalmuir - Dumbarton East Airdrie - Balloch Central service Unit type ??
10.57 Dumbarton East - Dumbarton Central Edinburgh - Helensburgh Central service Unit type ??
11.05 Dumbarton Central - Oban 1 or 2 156's ?
1441 Oban - Glasgow Queen Street 1 or 2 156's ?
18.40 Glasgow Central - Warrington Bank Quay Direct service to Euston via Trent Valley so assume Pendolino
21.26 Warrington Bank Quay - Chester Class 175

Any help with unit type would be greatly appreciated. What do people think of this mad plan?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Edinburgh - Helensburgh Central will be 334 operated, all the other emus will either be 318s or 320s with the odd chance a 334.

Oban will probably be a single unit.

Check RTT for those virgin services as it is normally correct for Virgin

Turbo004

Edinburgh - Helensburgh Central will be 334 operated, all the other emus will either be 318s or 320s with the odd chance a 334.

Oban will probably be a single unit.

Check RTT for those virgin services as it is normally correct for Virgin

Thanks for the unit types Kite and Techniquest. Not long to the big day so purchased my Priv return from Warrington to Oban at Chester station. I'm lucky working on the railways to get free and discounted but even I was pleased that my flexible ticket was only £30.35 for a journey of 15 hours or so.

Turbo004

Trip to Oban on 5th September

The big day has arrived. This was the day I hoped to travel on the Crianlarich to Oban line for the first time. Waking up at 04.30 before my alarm went off at 04.38 I decided to get up so I wasn't rushing for the 05.38 train. After having breakfast I walked to Chester station getting soaked in the process.
There were many units stabled for later services but nothing of note. The 05.38 service for Manchester was a 175.In Warrington yards there was a couple of 90's and 66's. My service from Warrington to Glasgow was a Voyager.

At Carlisle Kingmoor I recorded my first Class 88, 88002 along with a new sighting of 37401 which looked superb in large logo livery. Another new sighting in the yards at Carlisle was 66152.

Arrival at Glasgow Central was a minute early giving time to look at all the units on the platforms. In total I saw six Class 314's for sight one of which was new. I now only need 314212 for sight of this Class. I also saw 3 Class 380's needed for sight. This brings it down to just 380115 needed for 4 car Class 380's.

Going down to the low level platforms it was noticeable how dingy these platforms are compared to the upper level. Now running ahead of schedule I caught 320307 to Anderston. Whilst at Andreston I was surprised 318260 + 320305. I never realised that these units could run together.

From Anderston to Exhibition Centre it was another 320. This time 320313 did the honours. Exhibition Centre is an interesting station with a reversing siding opposite one platform.The platforms themselves form a V shape with one line diverging to go under the Queen Street lines.

Onwards to Hyndland with 320313. Hyndland has a little shop selling coffees, sandwiches and cakes. I grabbed a flapjack whilst I had chance to keep me going. Catching ex Class 321, 320412 I was a little dissapointed that Yoker only had one Class 334 which I couldn't possibly get the number of.
In addition Yoker station was some way from the stabling point so there was no point leaving the station as it looked at first glance not exactly the most welcoming area of Glasgow.

From Yoker I caught another ex 321. This time it was 320415 to Dalmuir. Dalmuir is an interesting station with 5 platforms and lots of trains to be seen.
In addition it has a public toilet accessible with permission of the ticket office staff which proved handy. Unfortunately my train from Dalmuir was running 6 minutes late and would mean tight connections at Dumbarton East and Dumbarton Central. Checking on the CIS screens that the following services were running to time I decided to risk it. The gamble paid off as I caught my connections fine.

318251 performed the honours to Dumbarton East which I was pleased about. This was due to it was my first travel on a 318 of the day. The service from Dumbarton East to Dumbarton Central was 334034 + 33403. I was impressed with how comfortable these units were. Likewise I was impressed with Dumbarton Central as it still has a lot of what appeared to be original station buildings and a large original roof.

Some of the buildings have been used for a cafe and a military veterans shop.
My train for Oban was 156449 which was needed for travel on. The ride up to Oban is incredibily scenic and well worth a visit. My highlight was viewing an old castle which appeared to be on an island on a loch.

The town of Oban was quite large by Scottish Highland standards with a distillery and the port at it's heart. It left me longing to go back perhaps catching a ferry next time to Mull. Back from Oban on the same unit was a little more eventful.

A couple of young ladies boarded at Oban with lots of booze bound for a night out in Glasgow. At Crianlarich they got out for a cigarette. Apparantly trains normally stop here for a few minutes. However this particular service only stopped for 30 seconds or so. After one drag of their cigarettes they quickly had to reboard.

Having not succeeded in having a cigarette they tried to have one in the toilets and then the vestibule area. At every turn they were stopped by the guard. By the approaches to Glasgow sounding like they had drank lots of booze they were complaining of feeling sick. I was glad when we got to Glasgow and they hadn't been sick. Glasgow Queen Street was a little dissapointing with only one other train in the station.

I then walked over to Glasgow Central stopping off to collect provisions for my journey home. Glasgow Central has to be my favourite big station with such a variety of unit types within a grand station. In less than half an hour I saw seven Class 314's. Unfortunately none were 314212 which I need for sight.
Later I contemplated that this was probably my last chance to see it as I have no plans to go back to Glasgow before they are withdrawn.

I also saw a six car Class 156 formation at Glasgow Central which struck me as being unusual. I boarded my Pendolino home early to get a good table seat. Then I observed from a doorway the many train movements. My coach was quiet which allowed me to dart from side to side to observe the various trains.

I managed to get the number of an 08 shunter which I needed at Polmodie.
Of most interest though was 66740 on a Southbound freightliner seen just South of Carlisle. By this point though I was feeling rather sick possibly due to being over the bogie on a Pendolino. I decided to go to the shop to get some water to help allievate the symptoms. Passing a couple of ladies they commented had I got the name of the caravan we had just passed, persumably taking the micky out of my trainspotting. This is one of the few times that fellow passengers have done so. Anyway the water worked well and I felt much better by Preston.

Leaving Preston we seemed to go slowly. This was confirmed at Wigan when we were 6 minutes late departing. I had a connection of only 6 minutes at Warrington so I was very concerned especially as the next service was an hour later. Fortunately the 175 for Chester was still in the station when we arrived at Warrington. After a mad dash between platforms I and a few others made it.

In total I had 30 new sightings and 8 new shacks but most importantly 1 new bit of green lining from Crianlarich to Oban. The only disapointment was not seeing 314212. I hope you've enjoyed the read. Apologies for any bad spelling and the delay in posting it.

Attachments

• Oban.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.