• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV Idents

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspierail

This is where we can discuss about TV Idents and do you think are they better today or back in the past.

If your not 100% sure what im on about i will give you a brief idea for example

BBC 1 it was known for its globes before the programme started.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbcone/index.html

BBC 2 in the 90s it had the number 2 such as paint ident, power ident, blade ident and so on.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbctwo/1991_idents.html

ITV it is nowadays known as ITV1 but before 27th October 2002 we had regional idents such as LWT, Anglia, Central, Meridian and so on

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itveast/idents.html

Channel 4 it was released in 2nd november 1982 and it used the colour blocks ident from 1982 to 1996.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/channel4/1982.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
The ident that that baffled me was the Anglia one - a rotating polished silver model of a knight on a horse - what was that all about? Most of the other ITV franchises had quite simple logos.

strange6

Established Member
The ident that that baffled me was the Anglia one - a rotating polished silver model of a knight on a horse - what was that all about? Most of the other ITV franchises had quite simple logos.

I liked the Central TV ident with the eclipse! You just knew you were in for some quality TV!

Dennis

Established Member
I liked the Central TV ident with the eclipse! You just knew you were in for some quality TV!

What, like Crossroads :lol:. Nah, Thames - it's Thursday night, it's eight o'clock, it's the Benny Hill show.

LE Greys

Established Member

Apparently it's this.

It baffled me, too, but I was more used to the triangular design thing.

Hydro

Established Member
I liked the BBC2 ones, with the paint splash et al. It reminds me of BBC2, 6pm on a weeknight, and we have The Simpsons followed by Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Great to eat your tea to.

Dennis

Established Member
The Anglia knight, a sports trophy - what a random choice for a logo; I would have thought there were plenty of other things that could have given a local identity to their programs.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It reminds me of BBC2, 6pm on a weeknight, and we have The Simpsons followed by Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Great to eat your tea to.

The Simpsons was a single episode on Mondays, and double bill on Fridays... Dread to think how many times I did this as a 9 year old with nothing to do on a Friday night!

LE Greys

Established Member
The one I remember was Star Trek on BBC 2 on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. A fact of life throughout my childhood for at least seven years of The Next Generation, plus re-runs of The Original Series (both parents are first-generation Trekkies, so it kind of follows). It was the one night we didn't watch the news. To me, Anglia always meant detective stories (Inspector Morse and A Touch of Frost especially) plus their dastardly takeover of Formula 1 in 1997.

I suppose when you grow up in a village and aren't old enough to go to the pub, there's not much else to do. Everything always happened during the day and somewhere else, and always involved getting in the car and driving somewhere. Evenings were at home in front of the telly, and that was how life was.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I always liked the old HTV logo - particurlarly when it was on the big advert at Paddington - 'HTV, Your Station Back Home'

thefab444

Established Member
I always rather liked this era of Carlton idents, which I believe were created by Lambie-Nairn. Shame there wasn't much else to like about Carlton! Although not as bad as Granada I grant you.

More locally, the original launch idents used by Meridian were pretty good.

flymo

Established Member
I used to enjoy watching the Discovery Home & Leisure idents. Quite clever I thought.

As a kid though, when visiting family in the south of England or Scotland I always thought it weird to watch Scottish TV or TVS instead of Tyne-Tees. Felt like I was in a different world...:lol:

Also the "Schools and Colleges" sequences were always fun at school, 60...59....58....57... until the teacher said "SHUT UP"

Ah happy days. :lol:

I used to enjoy watching the Discovery Home & Leisure idents. Quite clever I thought.

As a kid though, when visiting family in the south of England or Scotland I always thought it weird to watch Scottish TV or TVS instead of Tyne-Tees. Felt like I was in a different world...:lol:

Also the "Schools and Colleges" sequences were always fun at school, 60...59....58....57... until the teacher said "SHUT UP"

Ah happy days. :lol:

Lol the Discovery Ident is brill i remember them

Status
Not open for further replies.