• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Twitter an Effective Method of Complaining ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Members must forgive my ignorance as I am not on Twitter.

However from what I've heard it seems to be an opportunity to resolve complaints or raise issues of concern and receive an answer quickly.

If you ask them an open question such as to BA..... "Why did customers request to pay for Alcoholic Drinks that were formerly free under the new Buy on Board Policy or is that a complete fabrication ?"

Or to Virgin East Coast.... "Why are the 1st Class Lounges on Virgin West Coast
better stocked than those on Virgin East Coast?"

If they prevaricate and don't answer surely all the twitterers en-masse harrang them making them look extremely stupid and even worse generating negative publicity?

Is that how it works, can everyone see what everyone else is saying ? If thats the case I can't see how they can evade anything.

Am I missing something ? Once again sorry if I am misinformed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... I can't see how they can evade anything.
Of course they can evade anything.

They just ignore such questions:
https://twitter.com/JohnDickie1/status/803863027523010560
John Dickie said:
Every 15 mins to the airport. Except when it isn't.
GTR said:
If there was a gap in GX service you can travel Southern and claims back the difference. ^Huw
John Dickie said:
Why didn't yr people tell me that when I bought ticket? Or when I asked ticket collector at gate
There is no way they are going to answer that.

On the other hand, sometimes they do reply and look a bit daft:
https://twitter.com/dancingfran/status/647132632552185856
Francis Foreman said:
I get faster internet on my 3G than the wifi in your #firstclass lounge at King's Cross! I expected better.
VTEC said:
Well I suppose that the 3G signal in Central London is pretty good! ^MS
Francis Foreman said:
not exactly the best consumer response there virgin #slowclap
The joke may have worked 'in person' if you could sense the complainant was up for a joke, but it doesn't work here.

Am I missing something ?
Yes, the fact they can just ignore questions!

Butts

Veteran Member
Of course they can evade anything.

They just ignore such questions:
https://twitter.com/JohnDickie1/status/803863027523010560
There is no way they are going to answer that.

Yes, the fact they can just ignore questions!

Well they are a bit of a lost cause with whom the Public have a poor perception of already. Surely if enough people join in and back him up they will have to respond. Or everyone refuses to ask any further questions until they answer that one?

BA and Virgin however are perceived to be pretty good and thus more conscious of negative publicity ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well they are a bit of a lost cause with whom the Public have a poor perception of already. Surely if enough people join in and back him up they will have to respond.
They do not "have to" respond. Dozens of people have tweeted their dissatisfaction to GTR this evening (they're the worst train company, so will have the most examples) and just get ignored.
Or everyone refuses to ask any further questions until they answer that one?
I think some of them would be quite happy if people don't ask them any more questions :lol:
BA and Virgin however are perceived to be pretty good and thus more conscious of negative publicity ?
For sure, some care a lot more than others, and some are much better at answering than others.

Butts

Veteran Member
They do not "have to" respond. Dozens of people have tweeted their dissatisfaction to GTR this evening (they're the worst train company, so will have the most examples) and just get ignored.
I think some of them would be quite happy if people don't ask them any more questions :lol:

For sure, some care a lot more than others, and some are much better at answering than others.

I'm not sure how it works but if a question is ignored is it technically possible for 100's of people to repeat the question to the point where it not being answered becomes untenable for the organisation concerned rendering their credibilty at zero and generating further media interest and bad publicity.

Established Member
I don't think it is, personally. Some Twitter accounts I've seen customers complain to have requested that the complainant sends their feedback to the company's customer services department by email anyway, which I completely agree with.

Generally, if I feel that I need to make a complaint, then I send it via email because that's more than likely what I'd be asked to do if I went via the company's social media first. Apart from that, it's easier to keep a record of the complaint (i.e. when it was sent) than if it was sent on Twitter.

Butts

Veteran Member
I don't think it is, personally. Some Twitter accounts I've seen customers complain to have requested that the complainant sends their feedback to the company's customer services department by email anyway, which I completely agree with.

Generally, if I feel that I need to make a complaint, then I send it via email because that's more than likely what I'd be asked to do if I went via the company's social media first. Apart from that, it's easier to keep a record of the complaint (i.e. when it was sent) than if it was sent on Twitter.

If it's an individual complaint that just affects one person (ie you) then I totally agree with you about letter/e-mail.

However if it is more generic ie why are VWC Lounges better provisioned than VEC it is much easier to fob one person off than hundreds demanding an answer in a Public Arena.

Established Member
However if it is more generic ie why are VWC Lounges better provisioned than VEC it is much easier to fob one person off than hundreds demanding an answer in a Public Arena.

Very good point, I see what you mean.

dosxuk

Established Member

Still easy to fob off - e.g. "We've recently completed some customer research on this, and hope to announce enhancements in the very near future".

theblackwatch

Established Member
I don't use Twitter much, but I do have an account. I used it to make a comment to my local bus company regarding something I was unhappy about, and they got in touch wanting more details from me - I subsequently received some vouchers off them and was pleased with how they dealt with my comments. So yes, it does work in my opinion.

Butts

Veteran Member
Still easy to fob off - e.g. "We've recently completed some customer research on this, and hope to announce enhancements in the very near future".

"If you choose to trade under the same Brand name of Virgin comparisons are going to be made" How long does it take to bring East Coast Lounges up to the same level of provision as West Coast. We are only talking about items you already have access to"
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't use Twitter much, but I do have an account. I used it to make a comment to my local bus company regarding something I was unhappy about, and they got in touch wanting more details from me - I subsequently received some vouchers off them and was pleased with how they dealt with my comments. So yes, it does work in my opinion.

Does that happen with Virgin E/W you are getting me tempted at the thought of freebies ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Twitter is quite immediate, if the TOC put it in the right place (i.e. with direct access to the TOC Control). In the early days I had all sorts of stuff fixed very quickly, before they became a problem, when David Whitley (quite senior) did it for LM - including a stop order once (on behalf of a friend) to remedy an hour-long gap in service at BLY caused by a cancellation. But it's worth noting that VTWC's Twitterers, despite not being very senior, do have direct access to Control in some form, and I have similarly had things fixed fairly quickly, e.g. incorrect information on the PIS. VTWC are also unusual in that they are willing/able to contact traincrew to resolve customer service matters from the Twitter team - most other TOCs either can't or won't. This I find very good, as I would much rather have an issue fixed than have to rant about it afterwards and claim a voucher.

Sometimes one has to be very careful of wording in such instances - because of Union agreements anything that sounds like a staff complaint will tend to be cut off and bounced to customer services for more formal handling. So don't say things like "staff don't know what is going on" even if that's (a) true and (b) obviously not the staff's fault - that will cause such a "bounce" almost automatically and prevent the problem being resolved "on the spot", such as by Control correctly informing said staff about something.

Butts

Veteran Member
Twitter is quite immediate, if the TOC put it in the right place (i.e. with direct access to the TOC Control). In the early days I had all sorts of stuff fixed very quickly, before they became a problem, when David Whitley (quite senior) did it for LM - including a stop order once (on behalf of a friend) to remedy an hour-long gap in service at BLY caused by a cancellation. But it's worth noting that VTWC's Twitterers, despite not being very senior, do have direct access to Control in some form, and I have similarly had things fixed fairly quickly, e.g. incorrect information on the PIS. VTWC are also unusual in that they are willing/able to contact traincrew to resolve customer service matters from the Twitter team - most other TOCs either can't or won't. This I find very good, as I would much rather have an issue fixed than have to rant about it afterwards and claim a voucher.

Sometimes one has to be very careful of wording in such instances - because of Union agreements anything that sounds like a staff complaint will tend to be cut off and bounced to customer services for more formal handling. So don't say things like "staff don't know what is going on" even if that's (a) true and (b) obviously not the staff's fault - that will cause such a "bounce" almost automatically and prevent the problem being resolved "on the spot", such as by Control correctly informing said staff about something.

So what hope is their for getting an answer on the Lounge Query ?

Does "beardy" have a twitter account if so it may be worth enquiring why West Coast are having a more "awesome" experience than those on East Coast in his Lounges :p

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So what hope is their for getting an answer on the Lounge Query ?

Does "beardy" have a twitter account if so it may be worth enquiring why West Coast are having a more "awesome" experience than those on East Coast in his Lounges :p

Don't know - but remember that VTEC are actually a Stagecoach TOC with a bit of red branding - and the Stagecoach TOCs don't do social media quite as well.

Butts

Veteran Member
Don't know - but remember that VTEC are actually a Stagecoach TOC with a bit of red branding - and the Stagecoach TOCs don't do social media quite as well.

With all due respect they both operate under The Virgin name (their choice) so stand to be judged by the same standards.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The standards are generally quite poor. Neither Virgin rail company practises high standards of listening to customers and making changes based on what they hear.

That said if you format your query well they will probably record what you say to them via twitter. I once tweeted them saying "Could you add this to the suggestion box please: run the Sunday afternoon Leeds to Harrogate empty stock in passenger service" (in similar wording). They replied saying just that: I will put your suggestion in our 'suggestion box'. Of course, this is not a change that has been made. I do not know if this is because it has been considered and decided against (in which case, fair enough really) or because it did not get to the right people. For the record I would find it useful if it ran, and it has to run with driver and guard anyway and already stops at Leeds with time to board passengers and have them alight at Harrogate.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The standards are generally quite poor. Neither Virgin rail company practises high standards of listening to customers and making changes based on what they hear.

That said if you format your query well they will probably record what you say to them via twitter. I once tweeted them saying "Could you add this to the suggestion box please: run the Sunday afternoon Leeds to Harrogate empty stock in passenger service" (in similar wording). They replied saying just that: I will put your suggestion in our 'suggestion box'. Of course, this is not a change that has been made. I do not know if this is because it has been considered and decided against (in which case, fair enough really) or because it did not get to the right people. For the record I would find it useful if it ran, and it has to run with driver and guard anyway and already stops at Leeds with time to board passengers and have them alight at Harrogate.

I once did the same and asked for a HST service on a Sunday to Hull from KGX - I got the suggestion box reply and thought nothing of it. A few weeks ago, idling around on RTT, I noticed a new service from PBO to Hull on a Sunday only. So that shows they at least show some suggestions are listened to

#

Personally, I have had good responses from the few complaints I have sent to TOC's twitter desks (EMT, VTEC and Northern)... Hell, me and EMT often end up playing games of I Spy over twitter at 02:30 some nights

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I once did the same and asked for a HST service on a Sunday to Hull from KGX - I got the suggestion box reply and thought nothing of it. A few weeks ago, idling around on RTT, I noticed a new service from PBO to Hull on a Sunday only. So that shows they at least show some suggestions are listened to

Unless I'm missing something, surely the existing Sunday Kings Cross-Hull VTEC service must be a HST anyway? The fact that it's from Peterborough of late is presumably down to the engineering works on the southern end of the ECML. I have no idea when you suggested it and when you noticed it had happened, but train planning time frames tend to be pretty substantial processes.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Unless I'm missing something, surely the existing Sunday Kings Cross-Hull VTEC service must be a HST anyway? The fact that it's from Peterborough of late is presumably down to the engineering works on the southern end of the ECML. I have no idea when you suggested it and when you noticed it had happened, but train planning time frames tend to be pretty substantial processes.

Hull hasn't had a sunday HST service for a good while now. Suddenly, this turned up due to "demand and a operational trial". I presume thats why its listed as STP on RealTime

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y71666/2016/12/04/advanced

Edit: Its updated since I last checked and now shows as VAR

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member

I have an email somewhere from a LM customer service advisor stating that their current levels of service on Twitter are of a higher standard than those when DW ran the account (at least in their opinion)...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I find it a useful tool for complaining about immediate problems - broken lights, blocked toilets, station graffiti issues but it is not a good medium for technical complaints or for spotterish wiblbing about the minutiae of service. Any staff complaints or service complaints really need to go in an email or letter to the TOC as the 180 character minimum does not really allow for detail.

I also find humorous responses fun but think it simply gives those with an axe to grind an opportunity for more huffling. Best keep it dull tbh!

Hull hasn't had a sunday HST service for a good while now. Suddenly, this turned up due to "demand and a operational trial". I presume thats why its listed as STP on RealTime

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y71666/2016/12/04/advanced

Edit: Its updated since I last checked and now shows as VAR

So how does 1H10 (1720 Kings Cross - Hull) get to Hull every Sunday?

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Social Media allows a person to vent their spleen there and then which is not always a good thing. If they had to go home, calm down, then complain then the tone of their message may be different but some complainers just look like idiots with an attitude problem when they vent immediately

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I find it very useful for quick relatively simple complaints. Sometimes it can be a lot easier to figure out what is going on with delayed services via Twitter than it is via more "official" channels.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have an email somewhere from a LM customer service advisor stating that their current levels of service on Twitter are of a higher standard than those when DW ran the account (at least in their opinion)...

Let's see, shorter opening hours, less operational responsibility...nah!

Established Member

I had TPE's twitter request a special stop on an EMT service once when I was on a late running VTWC train, missed my Northern connection and therefore had a 50 minute wait for a TPE. Which had been cancelled. Preferring to wait for 15 minutes rather than nearly 2 hours on a cold winter night, I asked for a SSO.

Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed when the VT became delayed further and I missed the EMT!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Some people use ATW Twitter as a way of trying to find the answers to various questions and complaints as it is taking so long, a month perhaps, to receive a reply through normal channels.

Established Member
Some people use ATW Twitter as a way of trying to find the answers to various questions and complaints as it is taking so long, a month perhaps, to receive a reply through normal channels.
Maybe those people need to be introduced to Arriva Rail North's formal channels!

richw

Veteran Member
Its also a shame companies don't call out fabricated complaints. Of course they don't want to look like they are accusing their customers as liars, however some of the complaints ive seen about a former employer on Twitter and Facebook are point blank impossible to have happened due to computerised processes meaning that the apparently cross contaminated products wont have been in the same package as they come from different departments who are based in warehouses at opposite ends of the country.

For example customer tweets, product A has leaked inside the box and contaminated Product B. As an ex employee (employed at the time, so up to date with current process when ive seen the tweets), Product A was dispatched from our North East Warehouse, and product B from our southwest warehouse.
The social media team (based in London) then apologised, said they'd provide feedback to the picker, and offered a credit note for the two products (around £20).
Surely the social media team are aware of our distribution procedures, so are clearly trying to get positive PR due to the public nature of Twitter, rather than call out the customer for what is 100% an impossible scenario.

You also get people sending tweets in the red mist from the location they're angry about, which they may not have done once the situation had passed. Is this positive or negative I'm not sure. The company wouldn't have heard otherwise about the issue, but is it exaggerated by the unhappy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.