• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Twitter usage poll

How do you use Twitter?

• Don't use it at all

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Read only railway-related accounts (eg TOC feeds) but don't post

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Read (including non-railway accounts) but don't post

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Read and post own tweets occasionally

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Read and post own tweets often

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You'll have to expand on what you mean by 'use', but if you mean what I read it to mean, I tend to keep it for sporting and political interests (and keep Facebook reserved for friends. Never shall the two cross!). I only tend to retweet too, like Facebook it is very rare that I posts something on it.

Established Member
Don't use it at all though have considered joining up from time to time to get information on rail delays - not in the least bit interested in posting anything myself.

richw

Veteran Member
I probably go on and read the tweets 3-4 times a week, but in 2-3 years of being a member I've only posted 24 tweets.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I read occasional TOC posts (and follow the odd link given on these forums) but do not have an account, nor would I want one.

I read somewhere in the mid 1990s that "95% of stuff on the internet is c**p".
I reckon the ratio is even worse on Twitter.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've an account but it's protected and only those who I know can see it, tweet count is low, I've more "retweets", most probably, than my own tweets.

TP

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I twitter all the time - mostly borderline libelous comments about the general muppetry i am faced with in the world today, the evilitude of Conservatives, ask service questions of train companies/abuse them for muppetry and, until this season at least, berate the complete incompetence and general lack of ability displayed by Darlington Football Club players! ;)

jb

It's a bit like the iPad. Many people seem to love it but as far as I can see it completely lacks a USP.

Established Member
Don't use it personally, but have to man the feed at work a couple of days a week. Most of the time I'd rather be getting on with the day job than answering lazy questions, although some of the reporting you wouldn't otherwise receive can be useful.

Drsatan

Established Member
I use twitter fairly regularly to retweet things, and post my own tweets every now and again. I usually use twitter from my laptop; I seldom use it on the move since my phone threw a hissy fit and decided it didn't have enough internal storage for the Twitter app, despite clearing out the cache.

The accounts I follow are a few friends accounts, and a lot of politics and railway related ones. However, there are a couple of habits some Twitter users indulge in which annoy me:

1) Using Instagram excessively. This includes taking photos of inanimate objects, using an inappropriate filter and then using too many hashtags to describe it.

2) Inappropriate conversations between two or more users on one user's timeline. The direct message function is there for long conversations. Failing that use IRC or Pingchat.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I have 5 Twitters :) 2 of which see regular posting (one is standard and the other NSFW- that way those that don't want the NSFW don't need to see it) one I don't use any more and other two are feeds from blogging (ie I update and it tweets)

Crossover

Established Member
I don't use it and currently have no plan to do so. I can waste enough time on the likes of Facebook and here without having something else to drain time when I have other things I should be doing :P

I use twitter solely to make complaints to companies who let me down

It is slightly annoying that it comes down to needing Twitter to sometimes get responses from companies. I know it was suggested when I had a recent ticket issue to tweet the company to kick things off. As it happens, the company is question responded well (after logging the query with a quick phone call) but it does concern me that one day, Twitter may be the only way to get things kick started

Established Member
I don't use it and currently have no plan to do so. I can waste enough time on the likes of Facebook and here without having something else to drain time when I have other things I should be doing :P

It is slightly annoying that it comes down to needing Twitter to sometimes get responses from companies. I know it was suggested when I had a recent ticket issue to tweet the company to kick things off. As it happens, the company is question responded well (after logging the query with a quick phone call) but it does concern me that one day, Twitter may be the only way to get things kick started
You shouldn't complain to TOCs on twitter as that won't count as an official complaint to DfT etc...hence LM promotion of twitter to lower the official number of complaints and their backlog.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I'm on twitter, 26000 tweets and follow 900 people, followed by 360ish. Tweet everything from what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, what plans I've got, where I'm going. Bit of politics, football, beer tweets mashed in too.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You shouldn't complain to TOCs on twitter as that won't count as an official complaint to DfT etc...hence LM promotion of twitter to lower the official number of complaints and their backlog.

A fair point, but most people want an issue resolved quickly.. and quite often it is via Twitter.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I have a twitter account, but to be honest I probably don't even qualify for the 'occasional use' category. Last I checked I had a grand total of one follower.

Manchester77

Established Member
One twitter account, tweet loads just random stuff that pops into my head, how I feel, talking to people, complaining about random stuff the usual ya know!
My twitter app shows
7342 tweets, 530 following, 420 followers (no idea how though...)

Twitters just a big conversation with yourself hoping for someone to join in really

David

Established Member
For me, it depends on which account your on about.

In 3 years on my personal Twitter account, I have made just over 4200 tweets, follow 293 people and have 119 followers.

On my other account which I use with a forum I run, I've made 1755 tweets in about 14 months, follow 559 people and have 1552 followers. The reason this 1 is a lot busier is that I follow a lot of riders and teams, as well as fans of the sport so I have an idea of what opinions are flying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.