• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Together Railcard and Oyster on PAYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

burns20

Not sure if this should be under fares or London Underground so move as appropriate.

Coming down to London for a long weekend, me and my partner both have Oyster cards, can we add the Two Together Railcard onto them as we will always be travelling together like you can add a YP Railcard?

Sorry the TfL website isn't very clear on what you can do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, you can't get a discount.

Buy a paper Travelcard instead if doing multiple journeys.

Romilly

Established Member
From the FAQs on http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk

Can I use my Railcard for tickets for travel on the London Underground?

You cannot use your Two Together Railcard to get discounts on Oyster Pay As You Go or tickets bought from London Underground retailers.

However, you can buy discounted rail tickets for a journey which involves a cross London journey using the Underground to travel between two London mainline train stations. Anytime and Off-Peak Travelcards are also available when bought as part of your National Rail ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9, subject to a minimum fare.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Epsom - 0035 is £13.60 (£6.80 each) for 2 x Two Together Railcard discounted Travelcards. There's often a discount on the Southern website for this, but it appears not at present. In the absence of a special offer on that ticket, there might be another ticket that's cheaper...

If you're just staying in Zone 1, it might not be worth it, as the Zone 1 cap is £7.00.

Also obviously not worth it if you're only making a small number of journeys which would be less than £6.80 in a day.

burns20

We're staying in Stratford which is Zone 3.
Not much to gain by buying in advance or knowing our plans for that day really.

So a Zone 1-4 Travelcard would be £5.95 instead of £7.70 on Oyster.

We will be doing the Emirates Airline and a Thamesclipper one day so that's cheaper on Oyster than Travelcard I believe.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The fare on the Emirates Airline for the holder of a paper travelcard is the same as on Oyster PAYG (£3.30).

On Thamesclipper you get a third off if you have a travelcard but only 10% off if using Oyster PAYG.

At weekends a Potters Bar-London Zones 1-6 undercuts the Epsom ticket by a few pence. £13.20 for 2 X Two Together Railcard discounted tickets (£6.60 each).

burns20

So I'd be able to buy a Potters Bar to London Z1-6 Travelcard at Stratford International booking office?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Under impartial retailing rules, I firmly believe so, yes.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I'd be able to buy a Potters Bar to London Z1-6 Travelcard at Stratford International booking office?

That shouldn't be a problem but bar in mind that the HS1 part of the station is outside of the zones so travelcards aren't valid for travel on HS1. You can, of course, use a travelcard from the DLR part of the station.

You can always purchase on-line and pick up from a TVM.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So a Zone 1-4 Travelcard would be £5.95 instead of £7.70 on Oyster.
There's no Railcard discount on the 1-4 Day Travelcard; you only get discount on 1-6 Off peak Day Travelcard which is £5.90.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I seem to remember reading on here that Two Together Railcards can't be used on in-boundary travelcards hence the need to buy one from outside the boundary on which the railcard can be used.

Potters Bar (or Cuffley) is the cheapest outboundary travelcard that I know of at a weekend, Epsom (route Southern) I think wins on a weekday.

Status
Not open for further replies.