• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two together railcard, one traveller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbogie

I have a Two Together railcard. I know that the tickets need to be purchased and used together, and according to the terms and conditions 'Available to any two named cardholders. Discount available to both cardholders when they travel together for any journey on the National Rail network.'

I already have the tickets, however the second railcard holder cannot travel as they are sick. Can I travel alone? I have purchased both sets of tickets and can have them both for inspection on the journey, but only one person will physically be there. The total fare paid for both tickets has cost more than if I had purchased a return ticket for one person.

I know the terms and conditions are there to prevent two people buying the tickets and travelling separately for a cheaper price than otherwise allowed, but since I will have both sets of tickets, that can't happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have a Two Together railcard. I know that the tickets need to be purchased and used together, and according to the terms and conditions 'Available to any two named cardholders. Discount available to both cardholders when they travel together for any journey on the National Rail network.'

I already have the tickets, however the second railcard holder cannot travel as they are sick. Can I travel alone? I have purchased both sets of tickets and can have them both for inspection on the journey, but only one person will physically be there. The total fare paid for both tickets has cost more than if I had purchased a return ticket for one person.

I know the terms and conditions are there to prevent two people buying the tickets and travelling separately for a cheaper price than otherwise allowed, but since I will have both sets of tickets, that can't happen.
Unfortunately not. Both named cardholders must travel together for the entire discounted journey for the railcard discount to be valid.

scrapy

Established Member
Depending on the ticket types and value you may be able to excess one ticket to a full priced one and refund the other (minus admin fee). Alternatively you may be able to amend them to a date you can both travel.

Alternatively if you know prior to boarding/amending the tickets that the train is either delayed or cancelled then you can get a fee free refund on both tickets and a purchase new one

Last edited:

Southern Beau

I did observe a guy last week (on an Avanti service EUS to MAN) where he showed tickets and a two persons railcard. He said his partner was at the shop. She wasn’t and didn’t travel with him. The train manager did not return to check

8ace

We've had to do this a few times when someone hasn't turned up, never been an issue.

island

Veteran Member
The starting position must be that the tickets are invalid unless both Railcard holders travel, and travel together.

I would like to think that common sense could be applied when both tickets and the Railcard are presented by one of the two correct travellers in circumstances that make misuse clearly impossible – as the fare plus nearly one third has been paid.

So, if advance tickets in credit card size or paper roll ticket format are presented with a physical Railcard by one of the depicted users, I would hope that staff use their discretion to accept them.

On the other hand, if off-peak tickets in e-ticket format are presented with a digital Railcard, it admits the possibility that duplicates of the tickets and Railcard are being used by the other holder on a different train and discretion is less likely to be shown.

As with everything of this nature I would advise checking with the guard in advance of travel where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.