• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two together railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

valenta

Me and my partner recently purchased a two together railcard (more info here - http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk ) - an excellent idea and one which will save us a lot of money over the years. However when purchasing tickets from Newcastle station today on the self service ticket machines it didn't deduct any money off the normal price , we tried several machines with the same result. it's particularly odd as we have used this regularly over the past couple of months and have not come across this problem before. We eventuallly got the reduced tickets by purchasing them from the ticket office and the person at the desk was somewhat bemused by the situation.

Presumably just a fault in the system, but something to watch out for all the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Presumably just a fault in the system, but something to watch out for all the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
What type of ticket machine is it?

I've had problems buying 16-25 railcard discounted tickets from stations in Manchester, because for some reason the machine wouldn't allow a railcard discount on tickets with the CTLZ route, but others were fine :roll:

valenta

What time of day was this?

Out of peak times.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What type of ticket machine is it?

I've had problems buying 16-25 railcard discounted tickets from stations in Manchester, because for some reason the machine wouldn't allow a railcard discount on tickets with the CTLZ route, but others were fine :roll:

Don't know any specifics about the machines - they were the fast ticket machines owned by East Coast. It's odd because I've purchased tickets using these machines before and have not experienced this problem.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Out of peak times.
I believe the question was asked because two together railcards aren't valid between 4.30am and 9.30am (not exactly sure if it's valid on trains which are en route at 4.30, as that's all it says on the badly written T&C. Not an issue at Newcastle, anyway), so the machines may not offer the discount if you buy a ticket in a restricted time, whether it's an off-peak one or not.

Last edited:

valenta

I believe the question was asked because two together railcards aren't valid between 4.30am and 9.30am (not exactly sure if it's valid on trains which are en route at 4.30, as that's all it says on the badly written T&C. Not an issue at Newcastle, anyway), so the machines may not offer the discount if you buy a ticket in a restricted time, whether it's an off-peak one or not.

It was outside of those times.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You need to purchase both tickets in the same transaction.

We were trying to purchase both tickets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.