• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Is this system even safe? People on Facebook saying that overhead lines are hanging off the sides of trains, smoke in the cabins etc. Off the back of the recent depot derailment. Very worrying.

These things happen. It's just weird that we always seem to have major disruption come in massive bursts then have a few months where it gets better. I must say though, they rectified the problem at Gateshead bloody quickly so did the OHLE actually come down or was it something else? The OHLE equipment is all at Howdon at the minute so for the speed they resolved it is quite something if the OHLE did come down.

People on Facebook (and other social media) do tend to like to hype it up. However, having been on a Metro that has brought OHLE down before I can say it's not something that I'd want to experience again. All I heard was a loud bang (pantograph dropping), followed by the train going into full emergency brake application. There was smoke but not enough to fill the carriage (and we were inside the tunnel at Gateshead too). I can imagine how the 'normal' commuter with no knowledge on railways can be incredibly frightened though, when they just hear a loud bang, emergency brakes applying, and then the lights all going off inside the car.

Images of 4047 and its damaged pantograph here,

http://www.nerailimages.co.uk/images/April-2017/

last 3 images taken

Thanks for sharing! Looks like the pantograph is in quite a state.

Likely to remain in the sidings for a while, unless another metrocar drags it away. The battery locos have failed and are sat in Stoddart Street at the minute.

So we now have 3 more metrocars out of service. Even the new timetable might struggle in the peaks. Iirc, we have 12 cars out of action? 142094, any idea how many?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
So we now have 3 more metrocars out of service. Even the new timetable might struggle in the peaks.

Given 4040+4083 were out yesterday on a Coast full service, I can well imagine it's going to get interesting.

From @rachel_allan on Twitter:
C8tgoOeXoAAUKVH.jpg

S Lowes

That's just outside Pelaw, 4085 was leading and still coupled to it this morning.

It was either train 103 or 106 can remember now.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Yeah, the OHLE is much thinner than that cable. In fact only signalling/communication cabling I imagine would be like that thickness so almost impossible for a train to get tangled in it's pantograph.

If it is an act of vandalism then that is incredibly serious, although I must admit I'm surprised the local wildlife haven't tried throwing things over before as a train has went by.

MetroCar4058

Is this system even safe? People on Facebook saying that overhead lines are hanging off the sides of trains, smoke in the cabins etc. Off the back of the recent depot derailment. Very worrying.
Of course it is. A signalling issue, derailment by someone who would never be driving passengers, a snapped overhead wire and desirable demographics does not suggest any issue with safety. Its simply been an unlucky week for Nexus.

Nexus did confirm the incident on the central belt was an act of vandalism; abhorrent and quite frankly idiotic. a few points I would like to highlight from the press release:
  • What is the new programme of investment in the train fleet?
  • What are the 'new agreements' with the police to improve security?

This week has been rather poisonous for Nexus, but at the end of the day these events happen and some of them have been very far beyond Metro/Nexus/DBs control. Communication, yet again, has been highlighted as an area to improve upon.

Last edited:

danpick

These things happen. It's just weird that we always seem to have major disruption come in massive bursts then have a few months where it gets better. I must say though, they rectified the problem at Gateshead bloody quickly so did the OHLE actually come down or was it something else? The OHLE equipment is all at Howdon at the minute so for the speed they resolved it is quite something if the OHLE did come down.

People on Facebook (and other social media) do tend to like to hype it up. However, having been on a Metro that has brought OHLE down before I can say it's not something that I'd want to experience again. All I heard was a loud bang (pantograph dropping), followed by the train going into full emergency brake application. There was smoke but not enough to fill the carriage (and we were inside the tunnel at Gateshead too). I can imagine how the 'normal' commuter with no knowledge on railways can be incredibly frightened though, when they just hear a loud bang, emergency brakes applying, and then the lights all going off inside the car.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like the pantograph is in quite a state.

Likely to remain in the sidings for a while, unless another metrocar drags it away. The battery locos have failed and are sat in Stoddart Street at the minute.

So we now have 3 more metrocars out of service. Even the new timetable might struggle in the peaks. Iirc, we have 12 cars out of action? 142094, any idea how many?

I'm sure I counted 4 Metrocars with the failed Battery Loco, was at least 3 though.

That's just outside Pelaw, 4085 was leading and still coupled to it this morning.

It was either train 103 or 106 can remember now.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

It (4047) was on a Yellow Line train as it was the cause of the service suspension.

Established Member
Currently on time off so have missed everything that has happened in the last few days.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
4040 and 4083 out today on a full Coast service, caught it at South Shields about 3pm.

They really must be short of sets!

Paul_10

4040 and 4083 out today on a full Coast service, caught it at South Shields about 3pm.

They really must be short of sets!

Although from the sounds of it quite a few units are out of service, I don't see no reason why the unrefurbished units can't be used on a regular basis even if they have all the units avaliable. On an enthusiast point of view, it would be nice too see the prototypes back into service soon especially 4002.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Although from the sounds of it quite a few units are out of service, I don't see no reason why the unrefurbished units can't be used on a regular basis even if they have all the units avaliable. On an enthusiast point of view, it would be nice too see the prototypes back into service soon especially 4002.

They are more likely to fail due to their age so why would Metro want them out running? Yes, some people would like them out there, but they shouldn't be and the normal commuter also doesn't want them out there. They're old and are really showing their signs of age whereas the refurb has hidden their age/damage from the public by giving them a cosmetic makeover.

I'm curious as to when they will be decommissioned, I would have thought it be soon, possibly in the next year or two but that all depends really.

Paul_10

They are more likely to fail due to their age so why would Metro want them out running? Yes, some people would like them out there, but they shouldn't be and the normal commuter also doesn't want them out there. They're old and are really showing their signs of age whereas the refurb has hidden their age/damage from the public by giving them a cosmetic makeover.

I'm curious as to when they will be decommissioned, I would have thought it be soon, possibly in the next year or two but that all depends really.

The only 'old' thing about the prototypes that will be obvious to the passengers are the doors but for me, if they are working fine then dont see why they should'nt be out on the system even if its just for the peak trains only. The prototypes are older but they were decommissioned for quite a number of years in the 80s to remove the door on the front of the units and in terms of mileage, it would not surprise me if the production fleet has done mileage and that reliability will probably be similar.

I guess 142094 can answer for sure but apart from the prototypes and 4022, how many other units are out of action on a long term basis? I assume fixing a new pantograph on 4047 wont be a long term thing but even so, then that is at least still 4 units.

Tramfan

4047's been back in service this week with a new pantograph, as has 4057 which I think must have been the unit involved in the Howdon OHL incident the week before. I can't think of any units other than 4001, 4002 and 4022 that have been missing from service for longer than a couple of weeks - 4001 and 4002 are still in the paint shop.

jkkne

Speaking as a very regular commuter, I do want them out there. They support a fragile network.

Rather an older train than no train at all or passengers shunted onto overcrowded operation.

Metro just needs to keep getting people from A to B. The public understand the problems Metro faces and the need for investment in the short to medium term.

bramling

Veteran Member

There's no way they should be decommissioned if the system is short of trains. It seems they are always short, as demonstrated by the fact these trains have been out so much, so the alternative is cancellations or less maintenancevtimevfor the remaining fleet. In an ideal world they would have been refurbished, and presumably all four units would have been done had the money been available. The current situation is a fudge, but presumably it satisfies the budget constraints. No rational operator would slim down its fleet by four if they weren't forced, so likelihood is status quo will continue.

ModernRailways

Established Member
The only 'old' thing about the prototypes that will be obvious to the passengers are the doors but for me, if they are working fine then dont see why they should'nt be out on the system even if its just for the peak trains only. The prototypes are older but they were decommissioned for quite a number of years in the 80s to remove the door on the front of the units and in terms of mileage, it would not surprise me if the production fleet has done mileage and that reliability will probably be similar.

I wasn't saying they should be decommissioned, I'm just expecting them to be. I would hope they will continue running - I get all giddy when I see 01 it's like travelling back 20 years, I just I don't want them running full services when imo they should only be on peak services (or used to fill a service gap before being swapped out once at Gosforth).

4001 definitely had the most mileage circa 2012 when I looked into it, but that may have changed in recent years.

Speaking as a very regular commuter, I do want them out there. They support a fragile network.

Rather an older train than no train at all or passengers shunted onto overcrowded operation.

Metro just needs to keep getting people from A to B. The public understand the problems Metro faces and the need for investment in the short to medium term.

They should be used as a backup, not as cars just thrown into the pool with the rest of them. I'm not saying they should not be used, but they should be kept as backup/peak/additional cars for use when needed. We require 50 metrocars for a 12 minute service (Saturday/weekday timetable) on both lines. That leaves 40 spare. Of those 40 you could have 5 out of service with faults, 4 are unrefurbs. You still have 31, which iirc is enough for the current full weekday timetable.

I completely agree. I use the Metro 6 days a week, and I agree they're needed, however as mentioned I don't think they should be on full services, they should be kept to peak services or to provide relief should there be a fault etc.

The public really don't understand the issues Metro have though, a lot of people I spoke to at work thought the refurbs were actually new trains. It wasn't till I told them they're refurbished that they realised. You're on this forum which means you have more knowledge of the railway than the vast majority. Most people don't care about Metro, they only care about when they arrive at the station is a train going to be there at the time it says or are they going to be late.

There's no way they should be decommissioned if the system is short of trains. It seems they are always short, as demonstrated by the fact these trains have been out so much, so the alternative is cancellations or less maintenancevtimevfor the remaining fleet. In an ideal world they would have been refurbished, and presumably all four units would have been done had the money been available. The current situation is a fudge, but presumably it satisfies the budget constraints. No rational operator would slim down its fleet by four if they weren't forced, so likelihood is status quo will continue.

Again, I never said I wanted them decommissioned. I am saying it is likely they will be. The system isn't short of trains though. We have enough now. What we don't have however is good reliability on those trains - mainly down to their age amongst other issues. That reliability, as mentioned by 142094 further up the thread, is improving well but the trains are only getting older and there's only so much the engineers can do in a day and I can see it dropping just as fast. Again, as I said, in my view they should only run peak/additional services and act as backup when things go really wrong.

IIRC, I could be wrong, but 4001 was never going to be refurbished again, same for 4002. 4040, and 4083 weren't because there wasn't enough money.

Established Member
Depends on what you define as 'long term'. 4022 is going to be out for the long term, in a similar way that 4077 was missing for a long time. However the rest are pretty fluid, and can be hard to keep track of. 4001/02 more than likely will be on a low priority to bring back into service as other stopped cars (i.e. those which have been refurbished) can be fixed one by one, and are then interoperable with each other, which is better for flexibility.

Certainly it will be interesting to see what happens with the blockade in the summer. The last time there was a blockade, the number of cars needed was reduced per day which meant a lot more time to work on complex faults and keep on top of general maintenance. As a result I'm sure reliability increased in the couple of months afterwards.

MetroCar4058

Is there a new intake of drivers happening at the moment? A couple of NIS trains were out (152 and another?) yesterday with a few members of staff on board.

Certainly it will be interesting to see what happens with the blockade in the summer.
What is happening in the summer? :P

Last edited:

Tramfan

Is there a new intake of drivers happening at the moment? A couple of NIS trains were out (152 and another?) yesterday with a few members of staff on board.

What is happening in the summer? :P

Must be, I've seen quite a few South Gosforth terminators taken over by a group of trainee drivers after the train has finished it's peak time duty. There have been a few out on Sundays too.

They are planning on replacing the bridge over Killingworth Road (between Longbenton and South Gosforth) as the road is being widened at the same time.

Also, finally seen 4001 and 4002 shunting around the depot after release from the paint shop - both in corporate grey & black!

Paul_10

Also, finally seen 4001 and 4002 shunting around the depot after release from the paint shop - both in corporate grey & black!

Interesting, be also interesting if anything has been changed on the inside like new seat covers for example, hopefully this means they will return to service very soon!

Tramfan

Interesting, be also interesting if anything has been changed on the inside like new seat covers for example, hopefully this means they will return to service very soon!

I wondered if they might do a light refresh of the interior, but I couldn't see from where i saw them.

They looked ready for to go back into service before they entered the paintshop, so fingers crossed it'll be sooner rather than later!

I wonder if they'll repaint 4040 and 4083 as well?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Both units repainted. Interior is still the same. Any idea if they've been done so they can be ran with the refurbs in service rather than being limited to only running with other unrefurbs?

Tramfan

That'll depend on whether Emirates are still paying for the sponsorship on 4040 and 4083!

That's a good point, I'd always assumed they were paying for 2 cars and that this had transferred over to 4033/4082 towards the end of the refurbishment programme due to the original suggestion that the 4 unrefurbished units would see limited use.

Status
Not open for further replies.