• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
In short, yes. 74 cars now needed for full weekday service and 16 cars were on the stopped list yesterday, so no spare sets. 4001 and 02 currently being repainted ready to handback to Nexus on Saturday.

4007 went on a brake test run to the Airport yesterday so will be going back into service soon.

MetroCar4058

Cheers! To be fair, DB have been doing well of late and we haven't seen a lot of the unrefurbished units for quite a while. It'll be interesting to see how the transition is handled and how Nexus run Metro over the next couple of years. I'm assuming the same people will all just be going back to how it used to be?

Also, will Nexus Rail and Metro be amalgamated?

Last edited:

Established Member
A while back I mentioned that the only way that punctuality would improve would be a change to the timetable. Of course this is what has happened, so the vast majority of the 'improvements' to reliability are due to the fact that running times between stations have been changed so there is extra padding. Also having two less services to run in the morning and evening also affects the reliability to a certain but smaller extent. At the minute punctuality/reliability is the best it has ever been in a good few years - however no doubt Nexus will try to use this to their favour. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they promote this heavily.

There will be little amalgamation between what is currently DB and Nexus Rail as Nexus will want to be able to move the concession back to the private sector as easily as possible in 2+ years time.

MetroCar4058

Has there been much free running time added in?

It really is a shame that there isn't a strong internal drive to disband the concession and bring it back in house. Privitisation is such a shame as the internal knowledge base is likely to have been eroded, making it much harder for Nexus to get back to how Metro was ran if they ever had the opportunity. I appreciate that is a hard task with the current government.

S Lowes

What's 4001 & 4002 being repainted into? Corporate black and grey?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Established Member
What's 4001 & 4002 being repainted into? Corporate black and grey?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

As far as I know just a repaint of their curent liveries, as everything has to be handed back to Nexus in the same condition DB received it in.

For example the ballast wagons and battery locos have been repainted this week.

Also a flatbed wagon which was internal use only was being cut up today for scrap.

Tramfan

As far as I know just a repaint of their curent liveries, as everything has to be handed back to Nexus in the same condition DB received it in.

I'd been hoping ever since the announcement that 4 cars would be missed off refurbishment that we might see 4001 receive a new coat of its current livery, with 4002 joining it, and 4040/4083 receive the white/yellow with blue stripe of the production fleet.

I've also noticed a lot of the fleet have passed through the paint shop for dents and scrapes to be touched up.

Paul_10

For example the ballast wagons and battery locos have been repainted this week.

Also a flatbed wagon which was internal use only was being cut up today for scrap.

4002 livery is so out of date now though as it was advertising the old Tyne and Wear metro website which was up and running but I don't think that site lasted long in those particular colours though, I only vagely remember it in truth now though. An livery reflecting the current Nexus site would surely be a better idea?

And of course Tramfan's idea is even better still with both prototypes and production units in there first ever liveries. Either way, hopefully the repaints is a sign they might return to service soon.

ModernRailways

Established Member
DB is now gone from the scene. A perfect handover for Nexus with 3 units out of service suffering heavy damage in the depot and derailing.

Tramfan

3 units??? I know about 4022 but what were the others that were damaged?

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Derailed at the east end of the depot Thursday evening. From the footbridge near the depot it looked like it ended up almost sideways.

That is rather concerning, I wonder if there has been significant damage done to the unit. Did it detail on a set of points? Is this within the scope of the RAIB?

Tramfan

It looked as though the rear of 4022 took a different road to the rest of the train (it was the rear car of a set entering the depot). Not sure of damage, or whether RAIB were involved, but it looked quite bad from that footbridge.

It was there all of Friday, but must have been rerailed early hours this morning, as it was back on the rails today.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Cars involved were 4002, 4022, and 4072. 4022 had quite severe damage.

From what is known and was sent out to staff, they were being shunted and a SPAD occurred, the driver tried to reverse to rectify the SPAD and went over catch points causing the units to jack knife into each other and derail.

Not sure about the RAIB, but it's a possibility.

MetroCar4058

If it's was derailed, shouldn't the RAIB be involved? It looks like there are a few point this incident hits.

Last edited:

Established Member
Just the single car, as far as I know 4002 is still in the paint shop.

As soon as an incident like this happens, everything has to be left in the state it is in for investigations, both internal and external. 4022 was on its own on Saturday when I saw it and if any other cars had been uncoupled and moved that would be very serious indeed.

Scott M

All fanciful notions that metro would return to perfection with Nexus back in charge were swiftly quashed this morning.

jkkne

All fanciful notions that metro would return to perfection with Nexus back in charge were swiftly quashed this morning.

And certainly this evening too. St James - North Shields off until at least tomorrow

Scott M

Off between South Shields and Gateshead stadium now too! Second time in two days the yellow line has been off during rush hour. For a system that used to be good and seen as an example to others, it is now a shambles. Very sad to see. What went wrong?

Very humbling experience for Nexus, who have spent the past few years blaming DBR at every opportunity and happily giving off the impression that if they were in charge none of this would happen.

Last edited:

Scott M

Is this system even safe? People on Facebook saying that overhead lines are hanging off the sides of trains, smoke in the cabins etc. Off the back of the recent depot derailment. Very worrying.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The wires came down at Gateshead Stadium, it happens sometimes with overhead wires, gravity means they hang down. As for smoke, people do love their hyperbole.

That said, communication has been diabolical this morning. Waiting ten minutes at South Gosforth and watched the help point on the other platform ring out about six times because nobody answered. Sending a train through out of service (the Pelaw short I'd been booted off) just rubbed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.