• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

valenta

What colour is 4001? I was filling up at the Morrison's petrol station in Byker yesterday, and caught a glimpse of a whitish Metro going across the bridge behind me.

The original PTE yellow and white - so I would imagine that is the metro you saw given that 4001 is the only metro on the system to be painted partially white now.

Scott M

Just been on 4019 paired with 4058 and it was rocking the female voice. I thought she had been phased out?

valenta

Just been on 4019 paired with 4058 and it was rocking the female voice. I thought she had been phased out?

4019 is one of only a few units left with the female voice - I believe 4086 is about the only other unit that still has her.

Paul_10

4001 in service this evening, coupled to 4083.

By lucky chance, I caught 4001 this evening, it was paired with 4040.

I assume 4083 is still under repair in the depot, be interesting too see when this unit will return to service.

valenta

By lucky chance, I caught 4001 this evening, it was paired with 4040.

I assume 4083 is still under repair in the depot, be interesting too see when this unit will return to service.

Yes, 4001 will have been coupled to 4040 yesterday - just saw the Emirates livery and assumed...

Scott M

Why does the metro sway from side to side so much between Gateshead stadium and felling (in that direction)?

It's a straight section of track yet you sway from side to side so much you feel like you are gonna fall off your seat or something.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Why does the metro sway from side to side so much between Gateshead stadium and felling (in that direction)?

It's a straight section of track yet you sway from side to side so much you feel like you are gonna fall off your seat or something.

Hmm, that's an odd one. I've never noticed it myself. I've noticed leaving Heworth still gives a really weird jolt though on the train itself just before the points.

The track around Felling is still relatively new tbh.

Also, does anyone know when Jesmond junction is going to be getting it's new points and stuff put in? Likely see a weekend closure in the near future or is it likely to be next year?

Scott M

Hmm, that's an odd one. I've never noticed it myself. I've noticed leaving Heworth still gives a really weird jolt though on the train itself just before the points.

The track around Felling is still relatively new tbh.

Also, does anyone know when Jesmond junction is going to be getting it's new points and stuff put in? Likely see a weekend closure in the near future or is it likely to be next year?

Do you think I should report it? Might be a fault with the new track. I think the drivers feel it too as sometimes when the swaying gets particularly pronounced they will ease off the acceleration to try to calm it down.

And I always thought that jolt was just the driver stopping accelerating quickly rather than easing off the accelerator. Will pay more attention when I'm on the metro tmw when we leave Heworth. :p

Established Member
No reason to report it unless it is a very bad ride (such as being thrown out of your seat or similar). The track in that area has some small misalignments which are perfectly safe but mean the train will sway around for a bit. Metrocars are more susceptible to it due to the lighter weight of the rolling stock and some cars have suspension issues which add to the problem.

MetroCar4058

It is always a bit rough passing Felling, you can only feel it at the front or back of each individual unit from my experience. But if you are at either end you will get a good old ride!

When on my way down to South Shields yesterday our driver (and I as I was in the front seat) spotted a trespasser near the tunnel at Tyne Dock, the poor bloke had to flag down the Newcastle bound train to warn him. This lead to some minor delays for a couple of hours on the service as trains went through Tyne Dock to Simonside with caution. Does anyone know if they caught the trespasser and how frequent these events are?
If I'm honest, I was shocked to see the man, he was just climbing up the service stairs near the tunnel; I had feared if the Newcastle bound train was a bit earlier this could have been allot worse.

Scott M

It must be said, there would probably be a better way of dealing with them instead of kicking them off the Metro like that but on the other hand, some of the comments and reactions of suggesting people to be sacked is a bit extreme to say the least.

It's just mock outrage.

People will beat metro with any stick they can.

MetroCar4058

I've had my first dose of LRAH today! I didn't think it would happen this early on but I assume its down to the rain. It wasn't too bad but, let's hope they start to get the head treatment train out (in the areas it can get to ;) )

Also does anyone know the scale of which Central will be refurbished? Will it look pretty much similar to its current design?

Last edited:

Scott M

I've had my first dose of LRAH today! I didn't think it would happen this early on but I assume its down to the rain. It wasn't too bad but, let's hope they start to get the head treatment train out (in the areas it can get to ;) )

Also does anyone know the scale of which Central will be refurbished? Will it look pretty much similar to its current design?

I got it the other day. A red light on the hill when you're going from hebburn to pelaw isn't nice in the pouring rain. Train really struggled to get going again. :p

MetroCar4058

Not the greatest time of year :/ I would like to know how often Nexus are running the RHTT.

Interesting movements today; they were working on the level crossing at Kingston Park so the signals was out of use, consequently there was a SPAD working across the crossing and all the way to the next signal.

Established Member
4069 failed yesterday with a seized gearbox and had to be put on wheel skates to get it to Pelaw sidings. Was still there coupled to 4025 today around early afternoon.

Paul_10

4069 failed yesterday with a seized gearbox and had to be put on wheel skates to get it to Pelaw sidings. Was still there coupled to 4025 today around early afternoon.

Where did the train fail? It seems strange they took it into Pelaw sidings instead of the depot.

Any updates on 4077 and 4083? I was up in the region during the weekend and noted 4001/4040 paired together still.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Where did the train fail? It seems strange they took it into Pelaw sidings instead of the depot.

Any updates on 4077 and 4083? I was up in the region during the weekend and noted 4001/4040 paired together still.

Getting it back to the depot would have required a lot more work and effort. It was a Sunday anyway, so services were few and far between anyway so it was likely better to just move it out of the way and then take it to the depot at night after the last passenger service had ran.

Also, just to note the RHTT should be out and about now.

MetroCar4058

Well I must say traction appears to have been allot better, so far so good. Hopefully this will continue throughout the month!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know the cause of the major delays tonight?

ModernRailways

Established Member
There was an incident in Benton earlier (fatality) and then down Sunderland tonight there was a power outage.

Trying to recover service after the incident at Benton was for the most sorted by about 1600, but they didn't run as many Pelaw extra trains as normal from what I noticed. Power went out down Park Lane and the service just completely went t*ts up.

Essentially, multiple small problems combined with the two major problems snowballed.

Established Member

It failed somewhere down on the Sunderland line and was put into the sidings between Sunderland and Park Lane. Later that night it went to Pelaw sidings, but due to a possession by Nexus, couldn't return to the depot until the next day.

There is an ongoing issue with 4077 and it hasn't been accepted into passenger service yet. Wabtec will be working on it at Gosforth.

4083 is as far as I know still waiting for a traction motor change. It was on an inside road at the depot this week, with 4002 outside.

4038 had a problem yesterday with its traction motor according to someone I know who was travelling on it from Sunderland to the Airport on 112. Looks as if it was swapped over with 110 at the Airport. On a weekday, 110's last trip is from the Airport to Regent Centre and back to the depot, which marks the transition between daytime and nighttime running.

Due to a lack of battery locomotives, the rail head treatment train has been running as Battery Loco - Wagon - Metrocar this week, possibly 4059. The train has been running between the depot and Chillingham Road and back twice per day, once before service then once in the afternoon before rush hour. Quite unusual to see a Metrocar hauling a wagon but it is possible as most of the engineering wagons have BSI couplers.

MetroCar4058

Don't forget 4026 (or 28 I can't remember which) was withdrawn from service due to a wobbly seat! Apparently a lady hurt herself on it.

Are Nexus running the treatment train across the full Nexus network twice a day? They could probably do with 4/5 battery locos. I must say adhesion has been exceptionally good so far this Autumn, well done Nexus. There's a little bit of slip between West Jesmond and Ilford Road towards South Gosforth. There's not even much slip across the crossings!

ModernRailways

Established Member
Don't forget 4026 (or 28 I can't remember which) was withdrawn from service due to a wobbly seat! Apparently a lady hurt herself on it.

Are Nexus running the treatment train across the full Nexus network twice a day? They could probably do with 4/5 battery locos. I must say adhesion has been exceptionally good so far this Autumn, well done Nexus. There's a little bit of slip between West Jesmond and Ilford Road towards South Gosforth. There's not even much slip across the crossings!

Leaf fall hasn't really started though fully yet. Towards the end of this month, and through November is when we'll likely see the main bulk of it and potential delays.

Just as a note, 4009 the sealing rubber in the centre on the articulation has came away and was just flopping around the carriage. I told the driver at Jesmond and she went along had a look and just said 'Oh, it'll be fine. Thanks for letting me know.' It was so fine, that when we reached Gosforth the driver replacing her ended up removing the train from service. Going to guess she let him know, and when he came along and had a look he decided to ask control what to do? I'm sure I've seen him training some of the new guys up so possibly a manager?

MetroCar4058

Ive just seen a similar problem regarding flappy rubber on 4076. Reported it to the driver who said he would report it and have a look at the terminus. aa I've said before the rubber has cut into the surrounding structure above the articulate on many units.

Status
Not open for further replies.