• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

On Moderation
Is there some reason the 43s can't go to Dollands Moor, by the way, and collect directly from there?
Yes - they're not cleared for the route(s) down to Dollands Moor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Fantastic start for 555003 in England, someone has managed to get access and graffiti it, presumably right under the noses of the staff at Wembley, no doubt the morons are queueing up at Doncaster to have their go as well

Class142sbad

Fantastic start for 555003 in England, someone has managed to get access and graffiti it, presumably right under the noses of the staff at Wembley, no doubt the morons are queueing up at Doncaster to have their go as well
it is just expected today. nowt can be done about without having high tech security and even that does not deter the worst lot. Hopefully repaints can happen soon.

the graffited train

thing I forgot to add some of the windows are still boarded up

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
it is just expected today. nowt can be done about without having high tech security and even that does not deter the worst lot. Hopefully repaints can happen soon.
That's pretty defeatist. A yard should be defendable with decent fencing.
Thought they would make more effort after the railway has been found liable for trespassers getting injured in the past.

DanNCL

Established Member
I presume the graffiti will be cleaned off at Tyne Yard. Nexus didn’t take delivery of graffitied Metrocars from Wabtec, when they arrived at Hylton Street with graffiti they were rejected and sent back. Switzerland’s a long way to send this back if Nexus reject it!

hacman

I presume the graffiti will be cleaned off at Tyne Yard. Nexus didn’t take delivery of graffitied Metrocars from Wabtec, when they arrived at Hylton Street with graffiti they were rejected and sent back. Switzerland’s a long way to send this back if Nexus reject it!

Since Stadler now operate the depots for Nexus, I'd imagine it will just be done there.

Stadler don't have any equipment or access arrangements for work at Tyne Yard, so it would be alot of effort just to save face at the moment of delivery. 555003 will be spending a fair amount of time inside the depot before any testing commences anyway.

It will, no doubt, take the shine off any PR for the arrival though!

Paul_10

To be fair they will no doubt have time to wash any graffiti off before the media arrives you would of like to think.

In an ideal world i guess, these deliveries should really get to their home without all this faff on stopping at various places but obviously pathing etc prevents that.

As I said in a previous post, I just hope the livery does have graffiti removal protection so we don't see instances like the current fleet with evidence of graffiti removal all over the place.

Meerkat

Established Member
To be fair they will no doubt have time to wash any graffiti off before the media arrives you would of like to think.

In an ideal world i guess, these deliveries should really get to their home without all this faff on stopping at various places but obviously pathing etc prevents that.

As I said in a previous post, I just hope the livery does have graffiti removal protection so we don't see instances like the current fleet with evidence of graffiti removal all over the place.
I'm surprised the railway don't have their own washable spray paint that they could quickly cover it up with.
The vandals will love these videos of their 'work' travelling around the country, it would annoy them if it was rapidly covered over so no one saw it but them.

XAM2175

Established Member
The vandals will love these videos of their 'work' travelling around the country, it would annoy them if it was rapidly covered over so no one saw it but them.
Yes, removing or covering it promptly is one of the most effective ways to deter future attempts.

Of course, a sizeable proportion of the enthusiast community negate this entirely by getting het up about it and plastering photos and videos of the offending paintjob all over the internet :rolleyes:

KGX

Can’t do much about large sections of the population of the country being vile.

Paul_10

Yep always baffles me when enthusiasts are outraged of seeing this type of vandalism and then spreading it online. Quite frustrating really.

DanNCL

Established Member
I think this is partly the fault of those like myself who have proactively shared updates on the train’s progress and onward movement plans for enthusiasts who wish to get a photo and see an unusual movement. Sadly it seems this has been taken advantage of by those with an ulterior motive, ie plans to vandalise the unit.

I don’t wish to speculate too much, but what I will say is that it seems an unlikely coincidence that these ‘artists’ would happen to be in the right place at the right time to tag this specific unit and nothing else that was also in the same place at the same time. Especially when we know there was a ‘reward’ on offer for being the first to tag it.

I’ll think twice before posting timings of these deliveries in advance from now on.

Looking at the YouTube footage one of the artists efforts isn't finished by the look of it & another seems to have been cleaned already? Was it cleaned then I presume by staff at Wembley?

DanNCL

Established Member
Since Stadler now operate the depots for Nexus, I'd imagine it will just be done there.

Stadler don't have any equipment or access arrangements for work at Tyne Yard, so it would be alot of effort just to save face at the moment of delivery. 555003 will be spending a fair amount of time inside the depot before any testing commences anyway.
Stadler don't need any equipment or access arrangements for Tyne Yard as the unit isn't currently in their care, it's in the care of RailAdventure. RailAdventure will be expected to deliver the unit in the condition they received it in from St Margrethen. They can always ask DB to do the graffiti removal for them using their own staff based at Tyne Yard, can't see DB objecting if they're offered enough money for it.

Looking at the YouTube footage one of the artists efforts isn't finished by the look of it & another seems to have been cleaned already? Was it cleaned then I presume by staff at Wembley?
Possibly. They're easy to clean thankfully. 555002 had all the graffiti removed very quickly at Arth-Goldau.

Volvictof

I think this is partly the fault of those like myself who have proactively shared updates on the train’s progress and onward movement plans for enthusiasts who wish to get a photo and see an unusual movement. Sadly it seems this has been taken advantage of by those with an ulterior motive, ie plans to vandalise the unit.

I don’t wish to speculate too much, but what I will say is that it seems an unlikely coincidence that these ‘artists’ would happen to be in the right place at the right time to tag this specific unit and nothing else that was also in the same place at the same time. Especially when we know there was a ‘reward’ on offer for being the first to tag it.

I’ll think twice before posting timings of these deliveries in advance from now on.
Probably best not to, although I wouldn’t blame yourself too much. It’s well known that these “artists’ go to great lengths to find out details of the trains and their whereabouts, I’m sure there are one or two in their community that are adapt at RTT.
Apparently there is actually a travel agent somehwere that organises flights, hotels etc and gives all the info needed on where and how to tag a train in the UK. They come from all over the globe.

DanNCL

Established Member
Just been along to Tyne Yard to see it. It’s on the servicing point used by XC and GC, easily viewable both from the ECML and from the road bridge over the yard.
D2839104-3C81-4431-8BCC-9800A4813596.jpeg3CBD9986-20E9-4E73-A97D-294D102E16C7.jpeg

Reported elsewhere that the graffiti is being removed at Tyne Yard. The unit now has security staying with it to prevent any further vandalism.

Class91Joe

Any idea on when the next 555 will be hauled through the Channel Tunnel?
From what I have heard, the initial unit will be delivered to Gosforth, then there will be a break of a while before the rest of the units start arriving more frequently. I am not sure on the reason for this. I have also heard that the first few drags from Pelaw to Gosforth will be with the current fleet using coupling adapters, and when there is enough new ones here, they will just send one of those to drag new arrivals.

The Laziest

It looks like one of the trains came to a stand after developing a fault on the Queen Elizabeth II bridge. The train started moving but came to a halt again after a few seconds. This has, of course, caused delays systemwide.

Further proof that the new Class 555 units are desperately needed.

Hope this is not OT.

Attachments

• 493A84F3-8076-4D8F-A6DD-3A87A342022C.jpeg
    493A84F3-8076-4D8F-A6DD-3A87A342022C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 164
  • B3FB4992-B085-4010-852F-81853B64D469.jpeg
    B3FB4992-B085-4010-852F-81853B64D469.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 158

DanNCL

Established Member
Any idea on when the next 555 will be hauled through the Channel Tunnel?
From what I have heard, the initial unit will be delivered to Gosforth, then there will be a break of a while before the rest of the units start arriving more frequently. I am not sure on the reason for this. I have also heard that the first few drags from Pelaw to Gosforth will be with the current fleet using coupling adapters, and when there is enough new ones here, they will just send one of those to drag new arrivals.
I don't think there's any set date for the next arrival at Gosforth but it won't be for a while.

Stadler have at least 3 more units complete at St Margrethen and it isn't a huge site (from a rough measurement on Google Earth approx 16 acres, for reference Hitachi at Newton Aycliffe is approx 20 acres), so it's possible we might see units coming through the Channel Tunnel then being stored somewhere in the UK before being delivered to Gosforth at a later date, as has happened with 777s being stored in Crewe before delivery to Kirkdale.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a unit in Vienna for testing in the climate chamber, most new classes have one of the first built units visit the site for extreme cold/heat testing. Unless one went there without anyone noticing!

Class142sbad

It looks like one of the trains came to a stand after developing a fault on the Queen Elizabeth II bridge. The train started moving but came to a halt again after a few seconds. This has, of course, caused delays systemwide.

Further proof that the new Class 555 units are desperately needed.

Hope this is not OT.
Just more proof that the class 555 is needed. I just hope they can get them in service by the end of the year after multiple delays. Old ones should have been out of service 10 years ago not be still running around 40 odd years after they were introduced.

Kris28

Word is that the new unit at Tyne Yard is being moved tonight in the early hours to Gosforth

DanNCL

Established Member
43465 and 43484 are on the move to Pelaw with 555003. 4086, 4071, 4073 and 4018 are all waiting for it at Pelaw, the four metrocars together will haul 555003 to Gosforth.