• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uckfield line improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I note that some platforms on the Uckfield line are being extended to allow for ten carriage trains to come into service which should make commuting a bit more comfortable.

As this route is operated by diesel units, I was wondering where the extra coaches will be coming from.?

I think at the moment these services are operated by two or four car units, sometimes coupled together to form 8 car trains. I presume like the LOL longer trains a 5 th or 3 rd carriage for each 4 or 2 coach set needs to be produced?

I see too that Uckfield station platform will be extended. I wondered why they did not make it longer when it was newly built in very recent years?

In the publicity I read on the internet, I see that provision for building of the longer platforms have had to take into account the special needs of certain plants and wildlife, newts, dormice etc.,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I note that some platforms on the Uckfield line are being extended to allow for ten carriage trains to come into service which should make commuting a bit more comfortable.

As this route is operated by diesel units, I was wondering where the extra coaches will be coming from.?

Existing thread in the rolling stock forum refers:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107267&highlight=uckfield

Since that thread started four of the units have transferred but are not in use yet.

Existing thread in the infrastructure forum also refers:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112253&highlight=uckfield

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I see too that Uckfield station platform will be extended. I wondered why they did not make it longer when it was newly built in very recent years?

It is my thoughts that the additional rolling stock is coming from Scotland which is surplus to their requirements following electrification and introduction of new EMU stock.(see comment above)
The old station at Uckfield which closed in 1991 could only accommodate 6 cars from what I remember. When the present station at Uckfield was opened in 1991 the platform was built for 8 cars in anticipation of electrification. At the time it was thought that was adequate for future needs. Since then the passenger numbers on the line have far exceeded anticipated expectations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.