• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
As far as I can see there's nothing in law stating that a face covering must be worn in conjunction with a visor - it's only guidance. But of course, Costco are entitled to go further than the law.
I’m sure she mandated this in law along with the museum/gallery/cinema update she did on Friday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
As far as I can see there's nothing in law stating that a face covering must be worn in conjunction with a visor - it's only guidance. But of course, Costco are entitled to go further than the law.
In Scotland, the law was amended with effect from Saturday and now states that a face shield is not an adequate face covering.

AdamWW

Established Member
That doesn't mean they won't 'creep' further, of course, or change the underlying advice - but the recent changes were strongly telegraphed; further changes haven't been (yet).

I'd say that's a very good point.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In Scotland, the law was amended with effect from Saturday and now states that a face shield is not an adequate face covering.

Which will end up causing more problems as they were meant for people who weren't comfortable wearing a face covering. Wonder if people will begin to realise how many are exempt

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Which will end up causing more problems as they were meant for people who weren't comfortable wearing a face covering. Wonder if people will begin to realise how many are exempt
If you follow the letter of the law, you can be classed as exempt if it causes “severe distress” and, as this is technically subjective, as far as I’m concerned everyone is technically exempt and it’s more about making people feel guilty/shaming people for not wearing one. I imagine enforcement will only be carried out when a police officer asks if someone is exempt and get a rather blunt, potentially offensive reply

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They aren't meant for that at all. As I said above, they are intended to protect the wearer (not others) from sprayed droplets from the mouth or nose (e.g. a sneeze) of an infected person. They do not protect others from the wearer to any significant extent because they simply redirect the breath sideways/downwards.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If you follow the letter of the law, you can be classed as exempt if it causes “severe distress” and, as this is technically subjective, as far as I’m concerned everyone is technically exempt and it’s more about making people feel guilty/shaming people for not wearing one. I imagine enforcement will only be carried out when a police officer asks if someone is exempt and get a rather blunt, potentially offensive reply

Yeah that's the problem I see with it. Just fuels the busy bodies of society to be more invasive of people's privacy because won't believe that people can actually be exempt

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes I suspect police will be asking “can I ask why you are not wearing a mask?”, and if the response is “can’t be bothered” then issues will arise.

Of course in reality BTP resources are extremely thinly spread, there aren’t masses of officers waiting around ready to be redeployed as mask inspectors.

Certainly on the Underground mask use has dropped off a cliff today. From what I’ve seen this afternoon it’s less than 50%.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

You're exempt under that exemption if and only if the act of you (not others) wearing one actually causes you severe distress. That probably includes a few in here who would effectively be agoraphobic as a result. It doesn't extend to mild discomfort, as I experience while wearing one, nor does it extend to a view that the law is a bad one - actually wearing the mask has to cause you "severe distress" in and of itself..

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
..and rapidly out of business too!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
It would be unacceptable to the government too - why on earth would they spend millions on the 'Eat Out to Help Out'
scheme only to summarily close all the restaurants/pubs down a few days after the scheme ends??! o_O

MARK

Because the government will not know what to do so they will go into panic mode and retort that reopening schools is of paramount importance and "if we open one thing, we must close something"

bramling

Veteran Member
Because the government will not know what to do so they will go into panic mode and retort that reopening schools is of paramount importance and "if we open one thing, we must close something"

Eat out to help out is a Sunak baby, so you could quite easily end up with someone else like Johnson or Hancock doing something which conflicts with it.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Eat out to help out is a Sunak baby, so you could quite easily end up with someone else like Johnson or Hancock doing something which conflicts with it.

You mean something along the lines of "you must wear a face mask from the time you enter our restaurant to after you leave and you may only lower it to spoon food into your mouth...and use a straw for drinking that protrudes from one side of the mask..."

talldave

Established Member
You mean something along the lines of "you must wear a face mask from the time you enter our restaurant to after you leave and you may only lower it to spoon food into your mouth...and use a straw for drinking that protrudes from one side of the mask..."
Can I bet £50 on who's going to agree with that ;) ?!!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I’m sure she mandated this in law along with the museum/gallery/cinema update she did on Friday
I can't seem to find this in the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020... Would one of you be kind enough to direct me to it? Thanks in advance
..and rapidly out of business too!
You really are pushing the boat out now. I've been out and about since masks were mandated in shops and I can probably count on two hands the number of people wearing face shields, so the effect this'll have had on the population is marginal.

AdamWW

Established Member
IYou really are pushing the boat out now. I've been out and about since masks were mandated in shops and I can probably count on two hands the number of people wearing face shields, so the effect this'll have had on the population is marginal.

Unless you've (mis)interpreted it to say that a visor is mandatory in addition to a face mask.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Unless you've (mis)interpreted it to say that a visor is mandatory in addition to a face mask.
I haven't, thanks. In fact, I interpreted it as the opposite. If you're wearing a shield, a mask/cloth/tea towel must be worn in addition.

Edit: sorry, misunderstood your post! Yes, exactly that

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I’m sure someone could devise a mask which has an aperture for the mouth to allow eating, no doubt it would make some people happy!

Actually that raises an interesting (though very tangential) point.

Early in the pandemic, I remember hearing about someone devising a face covering which had a transparent part above the mouth. I was delighted - since one of the main reasons I hate seeing people wearing masks is that it makes it difficult to gauge their facial expressions. I believe it was designed for those involved in lip reading.

Whatever happened to that?

PupCuff

I only spotted the face shield change in Scotland today; it's all quite silly really because those who are wearing face shields because they can't wear close-to-the face masks for whatever reason and want to make an effort to comply with the law are now simply going to end up wearing no mask at all and claiming an exemption. It doesn't give any benefit to anyone.

fraser158

I can't seem to find this in the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020... Would one of you be kind enough to direct me to it? Thanks in advance

The definition of face covering in regulation 10 (Interpretation) has been changed to...

""face covering" means a covering of any type (other than a face shield) which covers a person's nose and mouth"

talldave

Established Member
You really are pushing the boat out now. I've been out and about since masks were mandated in shops and I can probably count on two hands the number of people wearing face shields, so the effect this'll have had on the population is marginal.
Apologies - misunderstanding on my part, I thought they were mandating both at the same time, rather than realising that visors are even more pointless than masks!

SWML9102

On Bridgend station listened in to a conversation between a couple of Silurian Security staff (only ever seen them at Cardiff Central previously) and a local who they seemed to know. The local lady was complaining about apparent flouting of mask wearing rules on her train from Maesteg earlier in the day. She had challenged a group of maskless lads who had told her to mind her business, she had backed off only because her daughter was with her so she said.

The security bods assured her that they were scheduled to be on her return train, for which she was waiting, to ensure compliance, and had been doing the same on Barry Island services earlier in the day. They also said that as of Thursday night they had been advised only to accept exemptions on production of a letter.
I was waiting for a different train but decided to test them out. When my train pulled in I stepped towards the door with no mask on.

Security: Excuse me, do you have a mask?
Me: No, I'm exempt.
Security: You need a letter, we've been told you need a letter if you're exempt.
Me: Sorry but I don't think it would be appropriate for me to give you my personal details.
Security: But we're security...
I decided to drop it there and board.

No sooner had I stepped into the vestibule than a fellow passenger held out a mask, asking if I wanted one. Not sure if they were being helpful or making a point after hearing the conversation.

I then managed to choose a seat opposite a middle aged couple who spent the entire next hour and a half muttering about people with no masks, or no wearing them properly, monitoring how many were not complying on board and trying to work out how to contact "British Rail" to complain about the guard not coming round to enforce. At one point they were ready to take photos of fellow passengers but then decided it may be illegal.

I rarely ever felt so uncomfortable on a train journey. Not because of Covid but the attitude of other people. I can tolerate a mask (worn below the nose, yes I know that's not how to do it properly but fiddled so much it was broken by my destination). I just felt I was being watched the whole time. Perhaps because my first train trip since March, and being Wales the only setting where masks are required.

Anyway virtually all rail staff I saw sporting masks, on and off train, including BTP at Carmarthen and PCSOs at Tenby.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Security: You need a letter, we've been told you need a letter if you're exempt.
Me: Sorry but I don't think it would be appropriate for me to give you my personal details.
The issue here is highlighted, those in power try to shape the law to their own advantage when it's not their place to do so, I've heard a couple of accounts of this happening across the country, hopefully just a minority but still not acceptable.

AdamWW

Established Member
Actually that raises an interesting (though very tangential) point.

Early in the pandemic, I remember hearing about someone devising a face covering which had a transparent part above the mouth. I was delighted - since one of the main reasons I hate seeing people wearing masks is that it makes it difficult to gauge their facial expressions. I believe it was designed for those involved in lip reading.

Whatever happened to that?

The newspaper story here lists various people selling such things, pointing out why it can be so important:
But what's not being talked about is the problems that covering your mouth can cause for deaf people and those who have hearing problems and communicate through lip-reading. This has a detrimental affect on the 12 million people in the UK who are deaf or have hearing loss.

bramling

Veteran Member
On Bridgend station listened in to a conversation between a couple of Silurian Security staff (only ever seen them at Cardiff Central previously) and a local who they seemed to know. The local lady was complaining about apparent flouting of mask wearing rules on her train from Maesteg earlier in the day. She had challenged a group of maskless lads who had told her to mind her business, she had backed off only because her daughter was with her so she said.

The security bods assured her that they were scheduled to be on her return train, for which she was waiting, to ensure compliance, and had been doing the same on Barry Island services earlier in the day. They also said that as of Thursday night they had been advised only to accept exemptions on production of a letter.
I was waiting for a different train but decided to test them out. When my train pulled in I stepped towards the door with no mask on.

No sooner had I stepped into the vestibule than a fellow passenger held out a mask, asking if I wanted one. Not sure if they were being helpful or making a point after hearing the conversation.

I then managed to choose a seat opposite a middle aged couple who spent the entire next hour and a half muttering about people with no masks, or no wearing them properly, monitoring how many were not complying on board and trying to work out how to contact "British Rail" to complain about the guard not coming round to enforce. At one point they were ready to take photos of fellow passengers but then decided it may be illegal.

I rarely ever felt so uncomfortable on a train journey. Not because of Covid but the attitude of other people. I can tolerate a mask (worn below the nose, yes I know that's not how to do it properly but fiddled so much it was broken by my destination). I just felt I was being watched the whole time. Perhaps because my first train trip since March, and being Wales the only setting where masks are required.

Anyway virtually all rail staff I saw sporting masks, on and off train, including BTP at Carmarthen and PCSOs at Tenby.

The level of neurosis there really is concerning, certainly not good for mental health.

To be honest, I'm quite ready to explode should I find myself involved with one of these interfering neurotic types.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The level of neurosis there really is concerning, certainly not good for mental health.

To be honest, I'm quite ready to explode should I find myself involved with one of these interfering neurotic types.

This is how I feel about it. I am avoiding shops etc as much as possible but if I get any interviews at any point I know I will need to use public transport and I fully expect to encounter at least one person like this at some point. I will have my lanyard in use anyway so if anyone is stupid enough to say anything about it in a manner that isn't polite I will tell them exactly what I think

AdamWW

Established Member

This does remind me of some of the more over the top behaviour when Silurian were doing the door protection on the Rhymney 37's.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
People do need to make formal complaints about the conduct of any staff who suggest the requirement is in excess of the company's policy (which so far as I am aware is just in line with Welsh law, so not requiring any letter or similar).

Status
Not open for further replies.