• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Rail Log Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Yep, that’s what I meant.
Keep up the good work, as the website has been quite helpful and informative :D
I will add that to the to do list :D
No problem. :)

Apologies, what I meant with the multiple unit tables was, we can (very usefully) sort the tables for locomotive classes by various criteria such as operator, depot, livery etc. I was thinking that would be really useful to have for the DMU/DEMU/EMU/BMU class tables too.
Ah, I get you. As you may have been able to tell, the loco class tables are different to the unit class tables in how they are structured. The loco one is the original one I used and is much better in every way (it is much better on the mobile display, it comes with a built in search and sort function & is easier when it comes to inputting info from my point of view) except for it's load times which can be painfully slow. This is because the loco tables are provided by a 3rd party and so when the page is loaded it goes from the host server, to the 3rd party server, back to the host server and then responds on the users screen whereas the unit ones are ones I have developed on the host server and are therefore much quicker to load. I have been considering moving everything to the same as the loco ones just because they offer so much more and that would obviously solve this issue - whilst I continue to mull over this though, I shall see how to implement a sort feature on the unit tables as they are now. Again, this will be added to the to do list.

In the mean-time each table in the units section does have it's own search bar and you can search for anything in there whether it be operator, depot, livery etc so you can filter what is shown by using that and create a sort of sorts. I appreciate this limits what info you see compared to all info remaining visible when you just sort but it might be useful in the short term whilst I create a sort :)

Thanks both for your suggestions :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member

Ah, I get you. As you may have been able to tell, the loco class tables are different to the unit class tables in how they are structured. The loco one is the original one I used and is much better in every way (it is much better on the mobile display, it comes with a built in search and sort function & is easier when it comes to inputting info from my point of view) except for it's load times which can be painfully slow. This is because the loco tables are provided by a 3rd party and so when the page is loaded it goes from the host server, to the 3rd party server, back to the host server and then responds on the users screen whereas the unit ones are ones I have developed on the host server and are therefore much quicker to load. I have been considering moving everything to the same as the loco ones just because they offer so much more and that would obviously solve this issue - whilst I continue to mull over this though, I shall see how to implement a sort feature on the unit tables as they are now. Again, this will be added to the to do list.

In the mean-time each table in the units section does have it's own search bar and you can search for anything in there whether it be operator, depot, livery etc so you can filter what is shown by using that and create a sort of sorts. I appreciate this limits what info you see compared to all info remaining visible when you just sort but it might be useful in the short term whilst I create a sort :)

Much appreciated.

Established Member

Thanks for the explanation. :)

I hadn't used the search boxes before to be honest, but I've just given them a go now they definitely do a good job of clearly highlighting any specific criterion I'm interested in. The level of detail across the board really makes me appreciate amount of time and effort you've put into your website, so well done!

greatvoyager

Established Member
I just realised that there is a site news page, that’s something I wish more websites have.

The_Train

Established Member
The sun is out, it's nearly the weekend and I come with another update to the site :D
This one is a 2-pronged update regarding the Loco Log section (which remains very much in progress) and the search result page. Firstly, the Loco Log pages have received a bit of a revamp so that you can now see a list of operators and liveries that a particular loco has had - you'll see how to bring this info up quite easily when you visit.

Also, having fully revamped the layout of the search results over last weekend, I have now added a button onto the search results which will direct you to that loco's log page. The button only appears on those loco's which exist within the Loco Log section so is quite limited for now but will increase as I get to adding more into the Log section. Best way to see what I mean is to run a search for any of classes 20, 37, 60 or 90.

Hopefully this further improves navigation and as ever any feedback is welcomed :)

All you need now is a way to log which units you've spotted/bashed and then that's a really good site!
This remains in the back of my mind, in fact my first project I did was to create an app which did exactly this. I was only able to produce a prototype of it though and although I am more than happy with the finished article, I can't afford to upgrade the account with the host company to be able to produce it in full unfortunately. Not high up on my list of things to do just yet as I'd prefer to complete the original plan(s) but certainly something I may consider in the future.
I just realised that there is a site news page, that’s something I wish more websites have.
I really did this more for my own use so I could monitor the development of the site. I've probably let it slide a little bit just lately as I have been more focussed on getting things done rather than logging it down on that page but I shall strive to get it updated over the weekend!

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
I really did this more for my own use so I could monitor the development of the site. I've probably let it slide a little bit just lately as I have been more focussed on getting things done rather than logging it down on that page but I shall strive to get it updated over the weekend!
You’ve developed a great resource, it’s amazing.

Peter C

Established Member
The sun is out, it's nearly the weekend and I come with another update to the site :D
This one is a 2-pronged update regarding the Loco Log section (which remains very much in progress) and the search result page. Firstly, the Loco Log pages have received a bit of a revamp so that you can now see a list of operators and liveries that a particular loco has had - you'll see how to bring this info up quite easily when you visit.

Also, having fully revamped the layout of the search results over last weekend, I have now added a button onto the search results which will direct you to that loco's log page. The button only appears on those loco's which exist within the Loco Log section so is quite limited for now but will increase as I get to adding more into the Log section. Best way to see what I mean is to run a search for any of classes 20, 37, 60 or 90.

Hopefully this further improves navigation and as ever any feedback is welcomed :)
These sound like some very nice changes. Having the ability to see a history, for want of a better word, of an engine is a very good feature indeed.
I'll definitely check out both of those features - having more links between the pages on the site can only be a good thing.

-Peter :D

FGW_DID

Established Member
Just had a peruse of the site, noticed that the following GWR HEX liveried 387s are all showing as Stored:

387131 / 134 / 135 / 137 / 138 & 141.

All are in service.

The_Train

Established Member
Just had a peruse of the site, noticed that the following GWR HEX liveried 387s are all showing as Stored:

387131 / 134 / 135 / 137 / 138 & 141.

All are in service.
Thanks a lot - just updating these now. You wouldn't happen to know when they entered service (just roughly, to the month)?
Cheers

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks a lot - just updating these now. You wouldn't happen to know when they entered service (just roughly, to the month)?
Cheers

March i think it was, whenever the service stepped up to 10 units required from 12.

The_Train

Established Member
March i think it was, whenever the service stepped up to 10 units required from 12.
Thanks mate, that is all updated now :)
If you ever have any other updates from GWR land, then feel free to post in here or drop me a PM :D

The_Train

Established Member
You’re welcome :D

Will there be a way to filter news by operator or unit in the future?
I've just tried to send you a PM about this but I can't. I've come up with something but wanted you to cast an eye over it to see if it is what you had in mind - are you able to PM me so I can send you the link as don't want it available to all until I go live with it? :)

greatvoyager

Established Member
I've just tried to send you a PM about this but I can't. I've come up with something but wanted you to cast an eye over it to see if it is what you had in mind - are you able to PM me so I can send you the link as don't want it available to all until I go live with it? :)
Just sent you a PM :D

The_Train

Established Member
Following on from @greatvoyager's suggestion regarding being able to filter the news pages, I have today gone live with the new look news page.

It is only on the May news page right now (I intend to definitely back date for April at some point and then possibly back to Jan to cover this year - that will be subject on available time though) and can be accessed via the usual means via the news button on the Home Page. If clicking a couple of buttons is a bit of a stretch on a Sunday evening, then it can be accessed direct here

As you will see, once you have made your choice from the dropdown menu, the filter boxes come into play. You can now search the news shown on your screen by any one of operator, class, number or via any combinations of these to narrow down what you see as much as you like. The operator filter also allows you to filter by 'short-hand' versions of operator names ie Avanti West Coast can be searched by AWC or Northern Trains by NT etc (if you use a short version of an operator name that you think should work but doesn't then let me know as I have used my own interpretation in most cases to try and keep them as obvious as possible but I can add as many variations as necessary - I will probably add a key of some sort at some point to help with this).

There is also a new addition to the dropdown options which now allows you to show all news items for the entire month. This means you can search for all of the May news for a specific operator, specific class or even a specific number - ideal if you want to see all of the DBC news for the month, or just see news for the Class 88's for example.

Whilst typing this, I have just thought that maybe being able to filter keywords out of the 'detail' section of each news item could be helpful. Would allow you to pick out news items where the word 'scrap' has been used to filter out all stock that has gone for scrap, or the word 'livery' to see which stock has had a lick of paint during the month - if you feel this would be beneficial then let me know and I will look to get it added in!

And the final thing is that the layout has changed in respect of how the news is shown on the screen. It is a bit more chunky than the previous setup but I think it a) looks better, b) is easier to read and c) is easier to follow but as ever I am open to feedback on that!

greatvoyager

Established Member
Following on from @greatvoyager's suggestion regarding being able to filter the news pages, I have today gone live with the new look news page.

It is only on the May news page right now (I intend to definitely back date for April at some point and then possibly back to Jan to cover this year - that will be subject on available time though) and can be accessed via the usual means via the news button on the Home Page. If clicking a couple of buttons is a bit of a stretch on a Sunday evening, then it can be accessed direct here

As you will see, once you have made your choice from the dropdown menu, the filter boxes come into play. You can now search the news shown on your screen by any one of operator, class, number or via any combinations of these to narrow down what you see as much as you like. The operator filter also allows you to filter by 'short-hand' versions of operator names ie Avanti West Coast can be searched by AWC or Northern Trains by NT etc (if you use a short version of an operator name that you think should work but doesn't then let me know as I have used my own interpretation in most cases to try and keep them as obvious as possible but I can add as many variations as necessary - I will probably add a key of some sort at some point to help with this).

There is also a new addition to the dropdown options which now allows you to show all news items for the entire month. This means you can search for all of the May news for a specific operator, specific class or even a specific number - ideal if you want to see all of the DBC news for the month, or just see news for the Class 88's for example.

Whilst typing this, I have just thought that maybe being able to filter keywords out of the 'detail' section of each news item could be helpful. Would allow you to pick out news items where the word 'scrap' has been used to filter out all stock that has gone for scrap, or the word 'livery' to see which stock has had a lick of paint during the month - if you feel this would be beneficial then let me know and I will look to get it added in!

And the final thing is that the layout has changed in respect of how the news is shown on the screen. It is a bit more chunky than the previous setup but I think it a) looks better, b) is easier to read and c) is easier to follow but as ever I am open to feedback on that!
Thank you for this, it’s much appreciated :D

Peter C

Established Member

Just had a look at this on the site and I think the change is really nice. Being able to sort by different things will definitely allow for the easy-finding of particular updates. Being able to search based on operator abbreviations as well is brilliant.

Again - another good addition. This could be really useful if you wanted, for some reason, to compile a big list of all updates over the course of a year, for example: why that would be needed, I don't know, but railway enthusiasm attracts all sorts of people so nothing's impossible!

Personally, I think this would be a good addition. Being able to search for scrapped stock would be particularly useful.

I'm just echoing what I've said above here when I say I like this change too: really clear to read.

-Peter :)

The_Train

Established Member
Thank you for this, it’s much appreciated :D
No problem :)
Just had a look at this on the site and I think the change is really nice. Being able to sort by different things will definitely allow for the easy-finding of particular updates. Being able to search based on operator abbreviations as well is brilliant.

Again - another good addition. This could be really useful if you wanted, for some reason, to compile a big list of all updates over the course of a year, for example: why that would be needed, I don't know, but railway enthusiasm attracts all sorts of people so nothing's impossible!

Personally, I think this would be a good addition. Being able to search for scrapped stock would be particularly useful.

I'm just echoing what I've said above here when I say I like this change too: really clear to read.

-Peter :)
Thanks for the feedback as always Peter.
I have now added the extra filter which allows you to filter the detail section for keywords such as "scrap", "store", "livery" etc

The_Train

Established Member
Well @Peter C it is amazingly coincidental that you have asked this tonight because I have today been able to go live with our new look Home Page. I have made an agreement with the folks at UK Departure Boards to host a virtual version of their desktop LED Departure Boards which is also acting as an affiliate link with any proceeds made from this link going towards the server costs (which I hadn't really budgeted for) for the UK Rail Log website.

The departure board is set to a specific station for 12 hours and will then change to another random one so not only does it add to the page, not only can it help with the funding of my site, it is also a game of 'Guess The Station' :D

I see it as a positive addition to the site - hopefully everyone else does too :)

Peter C

Established Member
Well @Peter C it is amazingly coincidental that you have asked this tonight because I have today been able to go live with our new look Home Page. I have made an agreement with the folks at UK Departure Boards to host a virtual version of their desktop LED Departure Boards which is also acting as an affiliate link with any proceeds made from this link going towards the server costs (which I hadn't really budgeted for) for the UK Rail Log website.

The departure board is set to a specific station for 12 hours and will then change to another random one so not only does it add to the page, not only can it help with the funding of my site, it is also a game of 'Guess The Station' :D

I see it as a positive addition to the site - hopefully everyone else does too :)
Haha - it's a special skill: that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :D
That departure board is a superb idea - I absolutely love it. I could quite easily sit and watch that for ages!

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
Just a little update:

The Loco Logs section (found under the Fleet Data button on the Home Page) has received a bit of a revamp. The 'menu' page now consists of dropdown menus at the top to search for specific loco's and has some info cards down the page for each of the classes I have loaded up so far - this will increase in quantity as I start to add classes to the section. The actual loco log pages are still the same layout as the previous update as I feel these are suitable as they are but I think the improvements to the 'menu' page will enable better searching. I have a few other additions to make to improve on this further and so will update as and when I get these sorted :)

greatvoyager

Established Member
Just a little update:

The Loco Logs section (found under the Fleet Data button on the Home Page) has received a bit of a revamp. The 'menu' page now consists of dropdown menus at the top to search for specific loco's and has some info cards down the page for each of the classes I have loaded up so far - this will increase in quantity as I start to add classes to the section. The actual loco log pages are still the same layout as the previous update as I feel these are suitable as they are but I think the improvements to the 'menu' page will enable better searching. I have a few other additions to make to improve on this further and so will update as and when I get these sorted :)
Looks great, hope your site continues to thrive :D

Peter C

Established Member
Just a little update:

Looks good. Having the individual pages for each loco is going to be a really useful resource, especially if they're updated with the latest info, like the Rail News section.

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
Looks good. Having the individual pages for each loco is going to be a really useful resource, especially if they're updated with the latest info, like the Rail News section.

-Peter
My plan is to keep this information down to the stuff that are what I'd say are 'big changes' ie livery changes, operator changes etc. I'm not going to litter it with when they go in for a bit of maintenance because it will just clog up with info people aren't that bothered about.

The one bit of info I can't decide whether to include or not is when a loco goes into store (and back out again). I'm trying to think ahead and wonder whether someone may want to look back 5 years ago to see if a loco has been in stored status?

Peter C

Established Member
My plan is to keep this information down to the stuff that are what I'd say are 'big changes' ie livery changes, operator changes etc. I'm not going to litter it with when they go in for a bit of maintenance because it will just clog up with info people aren't that bothered about.
That's definitely a much better way of doing it than what I said!

The one bit of info I can't decide whether to include or not is when a loco goes into store (and back out again). I'm trying to think ahead and wonder whether someone may want to look back 5 years ago to see if a loco has been in stored status?
I'd argue that stored status is as important as livery or operator changes. It's the sort of thing that people on forums like this will reference and say "oh, well 60009 was stored for three years between 20xx and 20xx so it could(n't) have done xyz" or something.

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
I'd argue that stored status is as important as livery or operator changes. It's the sort of thing that people on forums like this will reference and say "oh, well 60009 was stored for three years between 20xx and 20xx so it could(n't) have done xyz" or something.

-Peter
That's answered my question :D

Thanks Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.