• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UKIP: Do they have a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have they reached the end of the road ?

Is there any future for them or are they going the same way as The National Front, BNP and The Dodo !!!

Is Nigel Farage going to have to make yet another comeback ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member

Is there any future for them or are they going the same way as The National Front, BNP and The Dodo !!!

I suspect they may have a future for the time being as a pressure group, but not as a viable political party.

To be fair, unlike some of the others listed, they have proved extremely successful in achieving their objective - Britain is leaving the EU.

ExRes

Established Member
People can throw in all the barbed comments they want to, the end result is that UKIP succeeded in their aim, what other political party has managed that?

UKIP may have shot itself in the foot on occasion, like other parties, and a small minority may have tried to use it as a cover for racist activity, like other parties, but perhaps the 'proper' and 'respected' parties should try to work out how UKIP got 17.4 million voters to make their voices heard while they couldn't convince over 10 million registered voters it was important enough to even get off their backsides

me123

Established Member
No. They're done.

They've achieved their goal, and they have outlived their usefulness. I agree with Bramling that they'll still pop up from time to time to remind us about leaving the EU (as if we could forget), but once that's done what have they got to offer? They're a bit of a mixed bunch, and they don't really have all that much in common beyond their desire to leave the EU. With their goal achieved, what do they have to offer the electorate? Their manifesto has been generally weak and quite right leaning, meaning that they won't appeal to many and those who do like it will be better off voting Conservative.

They'll fragment and disappear into irrelevance. That's why Farage jumped ship when he did. Whilst Farage has had more resurrections than Jesus (and I expect that he sees himself as a Christ-like figure), he is intelligent enough to leave UKIP well alone now.

sk688

Hurrah and good riddance !

A horrid , racist party led by an imbecile , who is now Trump's BFF , imo and I for one , am glad to see the back of them.

Idiots who claimed to speak " for the people " . Absolute Nonsense

317 forever

Established Member

As he's still on tv quite often, it's easy to forget that he is no longer their leader, or at least not their current leader.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They're a single issue party who got what they wanted, so they're done as a political party. I think they'll be around for a few years yet though before they melt back into the Tory party from whence a lot of them came.

Barn

Established Member
They're largely done, I think. Bad news for Labour. The ex-Tory kippers will head back to the Tories and, I think, many of the ex-Labour kippers will head to the Tories too.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I can't see any purpose to them now. They have helped to get us out of the EU, and that was their main mission.

ExRes

Established Member
Hurrah and good riddance !

A horrid , racist party led by an imbecile , who is now Trump's BFF , imo and I for one , am glad to see the back of them.

Idiots who claimed to speak " for the people " . Absolute Nonsense

Thank you for highlighting how UKIP succeeded in its aim, instead of actually campaigning against UKIP the majority of the remain camp just stood around shouting, do you honestly believe there are 17.4 million racists in this country? or is it possible people just did not and do not trust or believe in the EU 'project'

KN1

UKIP are without any doubt the most massively successful political party this country has ever seen but now in theory the job is done have little point.
Saying that if Brexit is seen off by remainers in that we leave in name only then either UKIP or another party will be back in strength in the future.

There are so many people like the awful Gina Miller and her mystery shadowy backer - Blair ? who are determined to wreck Brexit.
I voted to stay In but realised quite quickly after the referendum I had been lied to and would now vote Out if we're forced into referendum 2.

sk688

Thank you for highlighting how UKIP succeeded in its aim, instead of actually campaigning against UKIP the majority of the remain camp just stood around shouting, do you honestly believe there are 17.4 million racists in this country? or is it possible people just did not and do not trust or believe in the EU 'project'

Of course I dont , but you have to admit , it was very hypocritical , and cycnical , for a party run by a former city trader , privately educated , to be the " man of the people " .

They did achieve what they were set up , that is true , but now why are they still here ?

Not to mention their downright disdain for multiple minorties , as well as the fact that they resorted to some very dirty tactics , e.g the red NHS bus , Paul Nuttall lying about Hillsborough etc

Also , I think their demise will be accelerated by the fact that they are notoriously inflexible . They also have relatively little support in cities like London , Oxford and Cambridge

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
UKIP are without any doubt the most massively successful political party this country has ever seen but now in theory the job is done have little point.
Saying that if Brexit is seen off by remainers in that we leave in name only then either UKIP or another party will be back in strength in the future.

There are so many people like the awful Gina Miller and her mystery shadowy backer - Blair ? who are determined to wreck Brexit.
I voted to stay In but realised quite quickly after the referendum I had been lied to and would now vote Out if we're forced into referendum 2.

have you forgotten to take your tabets this morning?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You're saying UKIP has been a failure ?

No I think they have been very successful, sadly. Lots of people have been taken in by simple nationalistic rhetoric that the successful UKIP will never have to deliver.

It is the rest of your comment that seems odd, especially about the conspiracy to derail brexit

meridian2

no - they have acheived their result and will now return to their spirtual home: The Conservative Party.
UKIPs success was based on mobilising instinctive Conservative and Labour voters on the issue of Europe. While there were a greater number of vocal Tories on the EU, there was no shortage of Eurosceptic Labour MPs, and probably a larger number keeping their heads down away from the whips and spin doctors.

I don't see UKIP having any future. Apart from their well judged instincts on the European Union, UKIP were a party of misfits and xenophobes and have nothing positive to offer the UK in the future. They showed just how fragile government is when the people speak over their political lords and masters, and how quickly they jump ship when told what they don't want to hear by people they are supposed to represent.

KN1

No I think they have been very successful, sadly. Lots of people have been taken in by simple nationalistic rhetoric that the successful UKIP will never have to deliver.

It is the rest of your comment that seems odd, especially about the conspiracy to derail brexit

What conspiracy ? surely you not taken in by the horrendous Miller, do you think all the money and effort her and her backers have put in is not to get Brexit derailed.
Surely even the most naive remainers can see through her, she's simply a front woman currency speculator for a bunch of people who will never ever accept Brexit.

Taken in you say ? I think you have.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
UKIPs success was based on mobilising instinctive Conservative and Labour voters on the issue of Europe. While there were a greater number of vocal Tories on the EU, there was no shortage of Eurosceptic Labour MPs, and probably a larger number keeping their heads down away from the whips and spin doctors.

For many labour voters I know in the NE it was the issue of immigration rather than the concept of Europe that was the driving force behind voting to leave the EU. The Tory boys were much more worried about the EU as a concept and both bought into the false anti establishment motif.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What conspiracy ? surely you not taken in by the horrendous Miller, do you think all the money and effort her and her backers have put in is not to get Brexit derailed.
Surely even the most naive remainers can see through her, she's simply a front woman currency speculator for a bunch of people who will never ever accept Brexit.

Taken in you say ? I think you have.

where is your tin foil hat?

It is odd that many of the leavers banged on about soverignty and yet the courts had to be asked to ensure parliamentary soverignty was respected.

me123

Established Member
You're saying UKIP has been a failure ?

UKIP has been successful in achieving its own aim, but has not been a successful political party. They've achieved minimal electoral success, but managed to achieve their aims nevertheless. Being very much a single issue party with little substance underneath, once their goal was achieved there is very little to keep them together. Indeed, in achieving their aim they have created a situation wherein they are not needed.

UKIP has failed as a political party. But it has nevertheless been very successful in its goal of withdrawing from the European Union. To claim that they are "without any doubt the most massively successful political party this country has ever seen" is, frankly, hilarious.

You do realise that Ms Miller's actions have only strengthened the process of leaving the EU by ensuring that it occurs through the proper legal channels? She is acting to protect the sovereignty of parliament by ensuring that they are involved in the process.

Last edited:

meridian2

For many labour voters I know in the NE it was the issue of immigration rather than the concept of Europe that was the driving force behind voting to leave the EU. The Tory boys were much more worried about the EU as a concept and both bought into the false anti establishment motif.
It's impossible to separate the two, as the EU held complete permeability of labour and residence, in whatever form the commission saw fit, however large the Union, as a central plank of membership. There were no shades of grey, no debating chamber on the advisability of such thinking or its applicability to nations large and small, developing or established, it was a universal diktat by our intellectual and moral betters. Dissent had no voice or means of acquiring one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's impossible to separate the two, as the EU held complete permeability of labour and residence, in whatever form the commission saw fit, however large the Union, as a central plank of membership. There were no shades of grey, no debating chamber on the advisability of such thinking or its applicability to nations large and small, developing or established, it was a universal diktat by our intellectual and moral betters. Dissent had no voice or means of acquiring one.

Correct as that may be I am not sure it was considered by many in that depth before voting. The quality of debate did not, really, lead to such inspection and consideration!

Steveman

Every interview I saw of that woman I was left in no doubt that she was being heavily financed by others, Blair is widely believed to be the money man but Branson is another mentioned by ITV last week.
She comes across as arrogant beyond belief, she has no aim but to stop the Brexit process in any way possible, the rubbish about only wanting legal niceties is such a ridiculous idea as to be laughable.

simonw

You might like to do some research into the rules and regulations other EU countries put in place around immigration from within the EU and also reflect upon the fact that near half of immigration comes from outside the EU which it was always within the gift of the UK government to restrict.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Every interview I saw of that woman I was left in no doubt that she was being heavily financed by others, Blair is widely believed to be the money man but Branson is another mentioned by ITV last week.
She comes across as arrogant beyond belief, she has no aim but to stop the Brexit process in any way possible, the rubbish about only wanting legal niceties is such a ridiculous idea as to be laughable.

more tinfoil? it seems to be conspiracy day today!

simonw

Legal niceties? I think you will find she wanted the sovereignty of parliament to be respected. Wasn't that what the leavers banged on about, sovereignty

meridian2

You might like to do some research into the rules and regulations other EU countries put in place around immigration from within the EU and also reflect upon the fact that near half of immigration comes from outside the EU which it was always within the gift of the UK government to restrict.
Can you point to the rule which says member nations are free to control immigration from within the community? Remain should have had it as a banner headline. As for non-EU migration, Britain has the final say on who gets work and residence. This unremarkable criterion is exercised by democracies such as the USA and Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.