• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to display payment card used on London overground, first time offence - advice appreciated!

Over_grounded

Hello!

I am seeking guidance on how to respond to letter from TfL, which they sent after I was unable to display the payment card I used to board the Overground. The letter I've received is the standard "Information Request Letter" i.e. https://www.reeds.co.uk/insight/tfl-verification-letters-information-request-letter/

The situation is :

- I tapped in using a contactless card on my phone to an Overground station
- My phone then ran out of battery during my journey
- I was asked to display a valid payment card and couldn't (as my phone had run out of battery)
- I explained I was unable to present a payment card to the revenue inspector
- The revenue inspector took my details and told me to expect a letter
- I then received the letter
- After receiving the letter, I checked my Oyster account and found the card I had used to pay wasn't linked to it
- I then retrospectively linked my card to my Oyster account
- I found that TfL had autocompleted my journey (to the station where I did, in fact, depart)
- So I have paid the correct fare, but was unable to show my card when asked

The text below (with identifiable stuff redacted) is the letter I am intending to send back - it is my first time responding to anything like this, so any help on drafting appreciated! I am also genuinely unsure if I have committed an offence (I did pay the correct fare, but was unable to prove it when asked - is that still an offence?) I couldn't figure out if that counted as "fare evasion" looking at TfLs prosecution policy (https://content.tfl.gov.uk/revenue-enforcement-and-prosecution-policy.pdf) - so not sure whether I should deny or accept committing an offence

I have a clean criminal record, and no previous fines from any services. Any help appreciated!

"Dear Sir/Madan,

My case (no. xxxxxxx) is in relation to a ticket irregularity. I was unable to produce a valid payment pass as my phone ran out of battery after I boarded the overground at [x] on [x]. I was therefore unable to produce the contactless [x] card I had used to tap in at [x] to the relevant TfL revenue inspector.

I have since linked the contactless [x] card I used to tap in to my Oyster account (TfL reference number xxxxxxxxx) and discovered that TfL auto-completed the journey from [x] to [y] (where I departed), and correctly charged me the £2.20 fare. Please see attached screenshots providing evidence that:

• (1) TfL correctly auto-completed my journey from [x] to [x]
  • (2) TfL charged my [x] card the correct £2.20 fare
  • (3) A screenshot from my [x] account showing that my card ends in the four digits xxx
  • (4) A screenshot from my [x] account showing I paid TfL £4.40 for the two overground trips I made on [date]
I apologise for being unable to present the payment card I used on [x], and am happy to cover any of the administrative costs this has caused.

I have sent the same information to TfLs Compliance, Policing, Operations and Security office at 9G4 Palestra, 197 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NJ, by post.

Yours faithfully,

xxyyzz"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
While by the letter of the law you are supposed to be able to show your ticket (and your phone failing is your problem) l would hope that given the correct fare was paid common sense will prevail and you will get a "don't do it again" message on this occasion.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Did this happen on a train or at the destination station of your journey?

Skie

Not much help here but if you have an iPhone, enable the payment card you usually use for express transit mode (in wallet, tap the three dots on a card and select card details). Even if your phone runs out of battery and turns off it will still work when tapped for a few hours.

kacper

Not much help here but if you have an iPhone, enable the payment card you usually use for express transit mode (in wallet, tap the three dots on a card and select card details). Even if your phone runs out of battery and turns off it will still work when tapped for a few hours.
Does this work for a revenue inspection?

Over_grounded

Did this happen on a train or at the destination station of your journey?
Both (my phone running out of battery and the ticket inspection) happened during the journey - does that make a difference?

(And thanks all others for advice!)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think the letter you've sent is fine. Technically you've comitted an offence and I'm surprised you weren't given a Penalty Fare, which would have been an appropriate course of action.

I also hope that common sense prevails, please do let us know TfL's response. We often hear that TfL are 'robust' in dealing with matters but I suspect there are other times where they take a more pragmatic approach - we just don't get to hear about them!