• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Understanding Excess rules

SandsofEss

I wish to travel from Tonbridge to Lymington Pier on a Saturday, then from Portsmouth Harbour back to Tonbridge on the following Sunday. For one Adult and two Children, using an Annual Gold Card.

I’m trying to assess my best fare option for a journey that goes via Waterloo on the outbound, but avoids London on the return. I think I’ve found a good option by making use of the ability to excess for a change of route, but I’ve never done this before, so I’m keen to get a sense check on my thinking please.

Proposed tickets:

1 x Adult & 2 x Child Off Peak Returns (route: via Barnham) = £38.05

Excess to Super Off Peak Returns for outbound (route: London not Und) = £10.95 (50% of the difference in fare between these tickets).

Total = £49.

Have I understood the excess rules correctly please? Can I make use of the policy in this way, and will it be charged at 50% of the fare difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
My understanding is that excessing to change the time a ticket is valid and keeping the same route is supposed to be charged at the full difference of the two tickets. Only route changes should be done at half the difference.

In your case you're actually doing both, so I'm not totally sure where you stand, but you'll probably get them for 50% of the difference.

Belperpete

Established Member
Your change of route should be calculated as 50% of the difference between the Off Peak Return that you hold, and the same fare (i.e. Off Peak Return) for your new route. If your original ticket was a Super Off Peak you could also potentially excess it to the more expensive Off Peak, but I don't think you can do the reverse (i.e. a negative excess). However, you might have trouble finding someone prepared to issue the excess - several times I have been told that I need to buy a new ticket. I would suggest that you explain what you intend doing at the booking office where you buy your ticket. Turning up at the gate line at Waterloo without a valid ticket could prove "interesting".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wouldn't foresee significant difficulties getting a change of route excess that involves a different ticket type; I have done so successfully on many occasions. You are entitled to obtain the excess onboard the train without penalty, or at your interchange or destination if no-one comes through the train beforehand, but it's probably easier to obtain the excess in advance just in case there should be any issues.

Different fare routes are - as in this case - often priced by different TOCs. Therefore, an equivalent ticket type might not be available when you perform a change of route excess. It would be unreasonable to deny a 50%-calculated change of route excess on that basis; indeed, the internal industry guidelines say that the difference should be calculated using the "appropriate" return fare, with no mention of this needing to be the same ticket type.

In this case, there is only one type of "via Barnham" period return - the Off-Peak Return - whereas there are three different kinds of period returns for "London not Und" or "not via London". You can't strictly compare one Off-Peak Return against the other as the time restrictions differ.

SandsofEss

Thank you all.

On closer inspection, the time restriction on the Super Off Peak return applies on Saturday, which means it won't be viable for my proposed journey.

So, I'd be looking at an excess from one Off Peak Return to another, costing an additional £19.50.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If you're going to and from different places, as well as by different routes, how does this work? Your returns are from Tonbridge to where? If to Lymington Pier, is the point that Portsmouth Harbour is somehow en route between Lymington and Tonbridge?

SandsofEss

If you're going to and from different places, as well as by different routes, how does this work? Your returns are from Tonbridge to where? If to Lymington Pier, is the point that Portsmouth Harbour is somehow en route between Lymington and Tonbridge?
I believe it is. I've not checked against the routing guide (I don't know how to use it), but I can get journey planners to present me an itinerary that runs from Lymington Pier to Tonbridge via Portsmouth Harbour, Barnham and Nutfield for that ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My understanding is that excessing to change the time a ticket is valid and keeping the same route is supposed to be charged at the full difference of the two tickets. Only route changes should be done at half the difference.

In your case you're actually doing both, so I'm not totally sure where you stand, but you'll probably get them for 50% of the difference.
For a change of route it is charged at half the difference.

If the excess is for the purpose of changing route, then the rules for a change of route excess are what applies, regardless of whether this also results in a change of ticket type.
Your change of route should be calculated as 50% of the difference between the Off Peak Return that you hold, and the same fare (i.e. Off Peak Return) for your new route.
That's not the rule, which is (from internal KnowledgeBase, aka "iKB") as follows:
  • RETURN TICKETS (Change in one direction) - Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.
Back in the days before iKB, "The Manual" used to give an example:
A customer holds an Anytime Single from Hereford to Alton routed “not via London”. The customer wishes to travel via London on a day at a time when a Super Off-Peak Single is valid. If the customer does not wish to break their journey, they should be charged the difference between the fare already paid: Anytime Single (£38.50p) and the Super Off-Peak Single (£43). The Excess fare is £5·50. Note: This example is not necessarily the current fare.
I don't think that example is currently documented anywhere 'official' anymore, which is a shame, as it avoids any potential for confusion regarding the rules. It's been quoted numerous times on this forum over the years, for example:

Some ticket office staff erroneously claim that the rules do not allow the excess to be to the "cheapest" ticket, and instead claim that it has to be the same ticket type. Also some ticket office staff erroneously claim the full difference should be charged. But the rules are clear for all to see, and all staff in a position to retail tickets should have access to iKB.
If your original ticket was a Super Off Peak you could also potentially excess it to the more expensive Off Peak, but I don't think you can do the reverse (i.e. a negative excess).
You cannot get a "negative excess" from the point of view that you can't get money back, however that doesn
However, you might have trouble finding someone prepared to issue the excess - several times I have been told that I need to buy a new ticket. I would suggest that you explain what you intend doing at the booking office where you buy your ticket. Turning up at the gate line at Waterloo without a valid ticket could prove "interesting".
Although if the customer boarded at an unstaffed station and there was no opportunity to obtain an excess until then, the passenger cannot be penalised for not having a valid ticket (notwithstanding that route excesses do not incur any penalty for doing so on board).
The origin and destination must remain the same. Portsmouth Harbour isn't en-route and travel wouldn't normally be via Portsmouth, however interchange within Portsmouth (routeing) Group is permitted, although this validity via Portsmouth Harbour is "for interchange only" so I would advise against attempting to start, finish or break/resume a journey at PMH.

SandsofEss

The origin and destination must remain the same. Portsmouth Harbour isn't en-route and travel wouldn't normally be via Portsmouth, however interchange within Portsmouth (routeing) Group is permitted, although this validity via Portsmouth Harbour is "for interchange only" so I would advise against attempting to start, finish or break/resume a journey at PMH.

Does "for interchange only" mean a break of journey there would be prohibited? And therefore that I couldn't board a train there to commence my homeward journey?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does "for interchange only" mean a break of journey there would be prohibited? And therefore that I couldn't board a train there to commence my homeward journey?
That would be a reasonable interpretation; if the ticket doesn't work the barriers, it might be wise to purchase a single to Fratton, which would entirely regularise the matter.

Others might hold a different opinion on the situation.

SandsofEss

That would be a reasonable interpretation; if the ticket doesn't work the barriers, it might be wise to purchase a single to Fratton, which would entirely regularise the matter.

Others might hold a different opinion on the situation.
Thanks for your advice, and the level of detail in your previous post, which I suspect I'll refer back to several times hence.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I don't think that example is currently documented anywhere 'official' anymore, w
It's a curious example, giving a result of more than the difference between the two tickets (which would be £4.50).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a curious example, giving a result of more than the difference between the two tickets (which would be £4.50).
I hadn't noticed that, as it's not obvious at first glance.

It's an old example and I can't find an original source now; I suspect the fares were changed and an attempt was made to update it, but not fully successfully. The note regarding the fares may not be current may have been added later.