• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uno Bus

A0wen

On Moderation
I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, but having passed through Queensbury yesterday, was wondering why Uno use such a relative backwater as the terminus for the 614/644?

Is it simply that it's the quietest place on the Jubilee Line they could use to serve people living in Brent and Harrow?

It's probably an easier place to terminate with a good connection onto the Jubilee line as well as passing the Northern Line at Edgware with the route it follows.

TFL may also be a factor and it may be that's as far as they are happy for a non TFL route to run.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
It's probably an easier place to terminate with a good connection onto the Jubilee line as well as passing the Northern Line at Edgware with the route it follows.

TFL may also be a factor and it may be that's as far as they are happy for a non TFL route to run.
It does look quite odd to have a non TfL bus serving a Zone 4 station! Stanmore would perhaps be more obvious, but there probably isn't the space to terminate another route there.

jon0844

Veteran Member
While Uno does run for everyone, its primary reason for existing was for students of the University of Hertfordshire - so does the route serve specific university sites or campuses?

It may then go on to a convenient station to allow students from central London to get to the main Hatfield site for a lot less money than the alternatives.

Edvid

Established Member
Outside of College Lane / de Havilland (i.e. the Hatfield campuses) I don't think the 614 or 644 visits any other university sites.

The former also serves as a similarly-priced alternative to the TfL 384 for Edgware-Barnet (via Stirling Corner) trips, at least with the £2 cap in place.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, but having passed through Queensbury yesterday, was wondering why Uno use such a relative backwater as the terminus for the 614/644?

Is it simply that it's the quietest place on the Jubilee Line they could use to serve people living in Brent and Harrow?
I don’t really know the answer but it is not new, the bus has terminated there for many years. I always assumed it was to enable it to serve Burnt Oak Broadway and the Jubilee Line.

Edvid

Established Member
Nice spot!

Even though the picture was taken by a traffic cam, the tri-axle chassis can be identified on close examination. Same basic colour layout as that used on the Enviro400 Cities (Comet) as well.

Seeing as they don't appear to be Hatfield-bound yet, my best guess is they were heading for the MCV base in Sutton, Cambridgeshire.

Titfield

Established Member
I don’t really know the answer but it is not new, the bus has terminated there for many years. I always assumed it was to enable it to serve Burnt Oak Broadway and the Jubilee Line.

It could also be that this was the only bus stand (to allow a layover) or bus stop with capacity available at the time the route was planned. TfL set capacities for all bus stops and certainly in the central area it can be quite an issue even more so if you want stand time to allow for beaks or crew changeovers.

chalkleyt

Nice spot!

Even though the picture was taken by a traffic cam, the tri-axle chassis can be identified on close examination. Same basic colour layout as that used on the Enviro400 Cities (Comet) as well.

Seeing as they don't appear to be Hatfield-bound yet, my best guess is they were heading for the MCV base in Sutton, Cambridgeshire.
Complete luck to be fair, not sure when they are going into service but you would think soon.

stuu

Established Member
It does look quite odd to have a non TfL bus serving a Zone 4 station! Stanmore would perhaps be more obvious, but there probably isn't the space to terminate another route there.
It has terminated at Queensbury for decades. When I was student in Hatfield I once made the mistake of using it and the Jubilee line to save money on my way to Hammersmith, having not really paid all that much attention to how long it took. Never did it again