• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsigned Railcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankmc

I had this before. Was in hull and they had revenue inspectors, the woman would not let me through because i had not signed my card. I had the card a year and never noticed that it had a place to sign or being told i had to sign it.

I apologised and said i never knew but she would not let me though till i had signed it, AND wouldn't lend me a pen. I always remember this because i was running around for a pen and nearly missed my train to leeds for the festival :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The difference being that railcards have a photo of the holder, but UK debit/credit cards don't.

6Gman

Established Member
Whilst the guard/TM was technically correct, this is definitely a case of being way over the top by charging the passenger for a new ticket. Just remind the passenger to sign the card otherwise next time he might not be so lucky and move on.

But if the next Guard does the same?

Surely the point of signing is to avoid the Card being passed around between mates?

[Or have I missed something?]

Clearly yes !! Hadn't realised they carry a photograph!

Harbon 1

My railcard has never been checked to see if it's got a signature on it. I've never actually seen the back of my railcard since I got it last june! Just sits in my national rail wallet with my other travel cards

island

Veteran Member
The difference being that railcards have a photo of the holder, but UK debit/credit cards don't.

That isn't correct. Of the Railcards generally sold at the moment, only 16-25 Railcards have a photo of the holder. The only other one with photo that I can think of was the Two Together.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Family, Disabled, Senior & Network Railcards do not consist of photocards. The only Railcard other than Y-P that has a photograph is the HM Forces.

williamus

The Two Together (still extant until 17th May) carries two photographs and two signature spaces on the back.

I've always thought the issue of signing any kind of card that doesn't require visual validation of the signature (e.g. a an old cheque guarrantee card) as unnecessary and potentially unsafe (in case of accidental loss/theft).

Death

Established Member
Back when I used to have a 16-25 Railcard, I always remembered to sign them without fail. Curiously enough, I completely forgot to sign my Network Railcard when that was issued (Presumably because one signed it on the back and not the front as with my last 16-25, which was station issued and not online) and didn't even realise the NSE needed one! :shock:

Fortunately enough though, the first Guard to inspect my ticket on my NSE cards first ever use spotted this and pointed this out to me, lending me his pen so I could correct my omission. That said, the fact that my Railcard was newly issued and had the same name as my driving licence (Which I presented to prove it was my NSE) probably made it clear this was a "Newbie" error and not intentional. :)

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
When I sold railcards, the first thing I did after writing the customer's name in the alloted space, was get them to sign it. I would have thought this was something all clerks should be doing?

If someone is handing over their money for a railcard, at the very least the clerk should do what they can to ensure it's valid for use before the customer walks away. It should all be part of the service. Obviously can't be done with online issued railcards!

Ultimately it is the customer's responsibility, but good customer service was at the forefront of my mind when I did that job.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Similarly, travelling last year a Virgin TM attempted to withdraw my ticket on the grounds of the railcard being unsigned and therefore not valid. Fortunately it was signed in a light green ink, which was visible once I switched the overhead lights on.

Following that, he attempted to think up other reasons why the ticket wasn't valid, but was disproved at each turn. He eventually gave up with "I'll let you off this time". The ticket was a WebTIS special Wigan - Liverpool via London.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When I sold railcards, the first thing I did after writing the customer's name in the alloted space, was get them to sign it. I would have thought this was something all clerks should be doing?

Never once have I been told to do that!

Phirstman

Had my Y-P card for eight months so far and wasn't asked to sign it at purchase or ever asked by a guard to do so.

In fact it was this thread that made me sign it just in case, I forgot you have to! :D

In my experience only a handful of guards have asked to produce the Y-P travel-card with the ticket (I always have both in the wallet ready but always pull out the ticket first). FGW seem slightly more vigilant on this than SWT but this is obviously anecdotal evidence.

Be3G

Established Member
Of note, I received my (probably last ever :( ) online 16–25 railcard in the post this morning. The accompanying letter mentioned that it should be signed before use.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member

If someone is handing over their money for a railcard, at the very least the clerk should do what they can to ensure it's valid for use before the customer walks away. It should all be part of the service. Obviously can't be done with online issued railcards!

Ultimately it is the customer's responsibility, but good customer service was at the forefront of my mind when I did that job.

Both Stourbridge stations make you sign it upon purchase, which in my opinion is a good thing.

RJ

Established Member
Indeed - I don't understand why I clerk wouldn't do so as a matter of course. The railway is a customer service industry - I feel there are many jaded people on the front line who simply don't take much pride in their work and only want to do the barest minimum possible to earn their wage.

I'm sure if I asked clerks why they don't do this, some would say "well, it's the customer's responsibility." In my opinion, they're there to provide a service to their customers, not give them a life lesson in learning the hard way for not reading the T&Cs themselves.

jb

I'm sure if I asked clerks why they don't do this, some would say "well, it's the customer's responsibility." In my opinion, they're there to provide a service to their customers, not give them a life lesson in learning the hard way for not reading the T&Cs themselves.

This, although the general lack of curiosity and awareness on the part of the punter with regard to things like this surprises me. It's one of a myriad of factors that lead me to believe that perhaps 90% of people driving a car shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.