• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsure how to Proceed with Delay Compensation **Resolved**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

So i got my mind Boggling in how to proceed, because after speaking to everyone they say its not down to their company to resolve, so i would appreciate any advice anyone can give in which direction to go in sorting out this predicament.

I Bought a super off peak return from London Marylebone - Stourbridge Town(Valid only Via High Wycombe) and i left on Friday 4th, no problems whatsoever end to end, really good journey so no issue there.

However i was returning yesterday the 7th, i had planned on taking the 20:26 West midland railways from Stourbridge Junction to Birmingham Snow Hill(arrival 20:58) and connect there for the 21:10 Chiltern Service to London Marylebone, but as soon as i got to Stourbridge i saw the 20:26 was cancelled and i arrived just as the previous service for Birmingham was Leaving, so was unable to make my connection at Snow Hill for what was the last train to London Marylebone. So i spoke to the office staff and explained the predicament to him, he was a great guy to be fair and gave me an alternative routing for the direct route from Birmingham new Street to London Euston and advised me that they would have to honor my ticket given my situation, but he said check in with the Chiltern Staff at Birmingham Moor street to confirm, so i ended up having to get the 20:53 arriving at moor street at 21:31, I went straight for the ticket office to just confirm to be told ''there's nothing we can do as it wasn't our train that delayed you'' and advised that the only thing i can do is to either try and see if Avanti or Northwestern would honor the ticket OR get any train after 09:55 the following morning, so Knowing the latter wasn't an option because i had nowhere to stay and knowing full well the 12.5 hour wait would have some tricky interesting results for my various health conditions, i went over to Birmingham New street ticket office, where they told me they wouldn't do anything about it, neither Avanti nor Northwestern and would let me on their services unless i paid the excess charge of £14.45, so with no other option Barr being stuck walking around Birmingham streets until 09:55 in the morning, i paid the excess and got the 22:10 Avanti west coast which got into London Euston at 00:01(had i made my connection at Snow Hill i would have arrived at Marylebone at 23:10) so 51 Minutes earlier.

Super off Peak return London Marylebone - Stourbridge Town(Valid only via High Wycombe) - £33.10 no railcard used. Restrictions: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/PU

In general terms as long as i reach my final destination im not usually one to fuss over delays, but in this case it was more the shear lack of finding alternative solutions and then ending up paying an extra £14.45 or face waiting 12.5 hours as the only options available that has rather annoyed to put it lightly.

So i have 2 questions:

1. Since chiltern is the only company to operate through High Wycombe, shouldn't they have found me the alternative route to my destination?(especially since i booked my ticket through their website)

2. Is it Chiltern i claim delay Repay compensation+ the excess fare for having to go via a different routing or is through West Midland Railways i make the claim through?

Many Thanks for your advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would say that any Delay Repay claim should be made from West Midlands Railway as they were the ToC whose train was cancelled causing the delay to you and late overall arrival into London.

They should, in my opinion, also pick up the cost of the the one way excess (presume that it was a change of route from "via High Wycombe and Birmingham" to route "via Birmingham" included within a change of ticket type from Super Off Peak return to Off Peak return).

Reckon that for a delay of 30-59 minutes you should expect to receive 25% of the cost of your £33.10 return ticket.

Moot point as to whether you'll also get back the 100% of the cost of the excess. Might have to argue your case with Customer Relations at West Midlands Railway on that latter point.

Good luck and hopefully others will be along shortly to confirm or revise the above general advice!

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
Did the OP get the arrangement made by Stourbridge Town in writing? That would help with any complaint. Although the Birmingham stations were completely incorrect in their information and actions

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So i got my mind Boggling in how to proceed, because after speaking to everyone they say its not down to their company to resolve, so i would appreciate any advice anyone can give in which direction to go in sorting out this predicament.

I Bought a super off peak return from London Marylebone - Stourbridge Town(Valid only Via High Wycombe) and i left on Friday 4th, no problems whatsoever end to end, really good journey so no issue there.

However i was returning yesterday the 7th, i had planned on taking the 20:26 West midland railways from Stourbridge Junction to Birmingham Snow Hill(arrival 20:58) and connect there for the 21:10 Chiltern Service to London Marylebone, but as soon as i got to Stourbridge i saw the 20:26 was cancelled and i arrived just as the previous service for Birmingham was Leaving, so was unable to make my connection at Snow Hill for what was the last train to London Marylebone. So i spoke to the office staff and explained the predicament to him, he was a great guy to be fair and gave me an alternative routing for the direct route from Birmingham new Street to London Euston and advised me that they would have to honor my ticket given my situation, but he said check in with the Chiltern Staff at Birmingham Moor street to confirm, so i ended up having to get the 20:53 arriving at moor street at 21:31, I went straight for the ticket office to just confirm to be told ''there's nothing we can do as it wasn't our train that delayed you'' and advised that the only thing i can do is to either try and see if Avanti or Northwestern would honor the ticket OR get any train after 09:55 the following morning, so Knowing the latter wasn't an option because i had nowhere to stay and knowing full well the 12.5 hour wait would have some tricky interesting results for my various health conditions, i went over to Birmingham New street ticket office, where they told me they wouldn't do anything about it, neither Avanti nor Northwestern and would let me on their services unless i paid the excess charge of £14.45, so with no other option Barr being stuck walking around Birmingham streets until 09:55 in the morning, i paid the excess and got the 22:10 Avanti west coast which got into London Euston at 00:01(had i made my connection at Snow Hill i would have arrived at Marylebone at 23:10) so 51 Minutes earlier.

Super off Peak return London Marylebone - Stourbridge Town(Valid only via High Wycombe) - £33.10 no railcard used. Restrictions: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/PU

In general terms as long as i reach my final destination im not usually one to fuss over delays, but in this case it was more the shear lack of finding alternative solutions and then ending up paying an extra £14.45 or face waiting 12.5 hours as the only options available that has rather annoyed to put it lightly.

So i have 2 questions:

1. Since chiltern is the only company to operate through High Wycombe, shouldn't they have found me the alternative route to my destination?(especially since i booked my ticket through their website)

2. Is it Chiltern i claim delay Repay compensation+ the excess fare for having to go via a different routing or is through West Midland Railways i make the claim through?

Many Thanks for your advice.
A very unfortunate, but all too common, occurrence.

Condition 28.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) which were in force at the time of your booking states:
Where disruption prevents you from completing the journey for which your Ticket is valid and is being used, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary, provide overnight accommodation for you.

This in effect just repeats the position established by Article 16 of EU Regulation 1371/2007 on Rail Passenger Rights and Obligations (which has been retained in domestic law despite Brexit):
Where it is reasonably to be expected that the delay in the arrival at the final destination under the transport contract will be more than 60 minutes, the passenger shall immediately have the choice between:
continuation or re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to the final destination at the earliest opportunity

As per the above, when you are liable to be stranded, any TOC in a position to assist you is obliged to do so. It is no defence to say "it wasn't our train that was delayed/cancelled". Nor is it acceptable to qualify assistance on the payment of an additional fare.

To the contrary, you are entitled to delay compensation, as well as a refund of the additional fare you were wrongly forced to pay.

I would raise a complaint with each of the TOCs involved - West Midlands Trains for cancelling your train and ultimately causing you to end up in this position, Chiltern Railways for refusing to assist you, and Avanti West Coast for wrongly charging an additional fare to allow you to complete your journey. I would mention your other complaints that to each of the TOCs, so that they can coordinate their responses if they wish.

It is quite possible that your complaint(s) will initially be rejected. But this is more than a trivial matter and I would encourage you to persist. Feel free to post a draft complaint here (or further response when you hear back) for feedback.

Class800

Established Member
A very unfortunate, but all too common, occurrence.

Condition 28.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) which were in force at the time of your booking states:

This in effect just repeats the position established by Article 16 of EU Regulation 1371/2007 on Rail Passenger Rights and Obligations (which has been retained in domestic law despite Brexit):

As per the above, when you are liable to be stranded, any TOC in a position to assist you is obliged to do so. It is no defence to say "it wasn't our train that was delayed/cancelled". Nor is it acceptable to qualify assistance on the payment of an additional fare.

To the contrary, you are entitled to delay compensation, as well as a refund of the additional fare you were wrongly forced to pay.

I would raise a complaint with each of the TOCs involved - West Midlands Trains for cancelling your train and ultimately causing you to end up in this position, Chiltern Railways for refusing to assist you, and Avanti West Coast for wrongly charging an additional fare to allow you to complete your journey. I would mention your other complaints that to each of the TOCs, so that they can coordinate their responses if they wish.

It is quite possible that your complaint(s) will initially be rejected. But this is more than a trivial matter and I would encourage you to persist. Feel free to post a draft complaint here (or further response when you hear back) for feedback
@Watershed you are far more experienced than me - but would it not be the case that complaining to each company and telling them all about this would lead to more buck passing? If it was me I would claim delay from West Midlands Trains and submit a complaint to West Midlands Trains, informing them of the entire situation so they can co-ordinate any within-industry cross-charging.

Agree, of course, with other posts here: clearly you are within the Passenger Rights Regulation and should have been passed on Avanti. However, you might think yourself quite lucky that you were only excessed £14.45 by them ... some ticket offices would have declined to do this on the basis that 'the journey has already begun...' But that's a whole separate nightmare area!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The claim for the delay is with West Midlands Railway, and I would also ask them to consider the excess fare too. If they decline, you should contact Chiltern.

As an aside, a change of route excess can be done on board with no penalty so next time it happens just board the Avanti service and plead your case.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agree, of course, with other posts here: clearly you are within the Passenger Rights Regulation and should have been passed on Avanti. However, you might think yourself quite lucky that you were only excessed £14.45 by them ... some ticket offices would have declined to do this on the basis that 'the journey has already begun...' But that's a whole separate nightmare area!

This is a useful case where the Chiltern tickets are routed geographically, as such a route excess is an "entitled" excess. Were they routed "Chiltern only" an excess would not be possible.

However it should not have been charged at all in this case.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree with @Watershed I would raise complaints against each of the train companies involved, and make it clear to them that this is what you have done. The whole case is a sorry story of incompetence and back passing.

robbeech

Established Member
As an aside, a change of route excess can be done on board with no penalty so next time it happens just board the Avanti service and plead your case.
Absolutely, and this is written more clearly in the latest NRCOT (one of the small number of positives). Of course, back in the real world I’d fully expect an Avanti guard to sell a new Anytime Single without any railcard discount, get their commission and let the passenger complain where they stand a less than favourable chance of getting it refunded.

If this had been the other way around there’s absolutely no way the Euston gateline would allow it, and I suspect the barriers would reject it, as they might do at Nee Street. So you probably would never get the opportunity to ask the guard anyway.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Watershed you are far more experienced than me - but would it not be the case that complaining to each company and telling them all about this would lead to more buck passing? If it was me I would claim delay from West Midlands Trains and submit a complaint to West Midlands Trains, informing them of the entire situation so they can co-ordinate any within-industry cross-charging.
More likely WMT will kick the complaint back on the basis that it's not an issue with their staff.

I believe @Watershed has the right of it. I personally probably wouldn't bother with complaining to WMT and would just seek the delay compensation. The only thing you could probably quibble over is the ticket office staff at Stourbridge Junction not providing anything in writing (like endorsing the ticket or providing a note with the ticket office stamp) but the advice given there seems spot on. Trains are cancelled all the time so I'm not sure that in itself is worth a complaint.

But Chiltern and Avanti are complaint worthy. Chiltern's ticket office staff should have given the same information to the OP as the ticket office at Stourbridge did as whilst there's nothing they can do in terms of putting the OP on another of their trains they can certainly provide an endorsement for the issue encountered (seeing as they'd presumably know the train was cancelled) and in any event should give correct advice. Avanti though are the real villain of the piece charging for a change of route excess when they should have accepted the passenger is shocking (but sadly not unsurprising). I'd be complaining for the poor advice given and seeking a refund of the excess fare paid and an apology.

I suspect that rather than this being some conspiracy to try and extort money from the OP it's simply a case of staff falling into the typical trap of "not our train, not our problem" which often seems to pervade the industry despite the contractual entitlements and deliberate design of the system to allow passengers to travel using multiple companies. Sadly the DfT and ORR don't give a monkeys so won't take regulatory action and there's no incentive to ensure that staff are appropriately trained.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Always heartening to hear of multiple ticket offices giving abominable service and charging the customer up incorrectly.

Class800

Established Member
More likely WMT will kick the complaint back on the basis that it's not an issue with their staff.

I believe @Watershed has the right of it. I personally probably wouldn't bother with complaining to WMT and would just seek the delay compensation. The only thing you could probably quibble over is the ticket office staff at Stourbridge Junction not providing anything in writing (like endorsing the ticket or providing a note with the ticket office stamp) but the advice given there seems spot on. Trains are cancelled all the time so I'm not sure that in itself is worth a complaint.

But Chiltern and Avanti are complaint worthy. Chiltern's ticket office staff should have given the same information to the OP as the ticket office at Stourbridge did as whilst there's nothing they can do in terms of putting the OP on another of their trains they can certainly provide an endorsement for the issue encountered (seeing as they'd presumably know the train was cancelled) and in any event should give correct advice. Avanti though are the real villain of the piece charging for a change of route excess when they should have accepted the passenger is shocking (but sadly not unsurprising). I'd be complaining for the poor advice given and seeking a refund of the excess fare paid and an apology.

I suspect that rather than this being some conspiracy to try and extort money from the OP it's simply a case of staff falling into the typical trap of "not our train, not our problem" which often seems to pervade the industry despite the contractual entitlements and deliberate design of the system to allow passengers to travel using multiple companies. Sadly the DfT and ORR don't give a monkeys so won't take regulatory action and there's no incentive to ensure that staff are appropriately trained.
I will defer to your experience. I think the main issue is West Midlands Trains not putting in writing arrangements for the onwards conveyance of a passenger stranded by their cancellation, having consulted the control of the company that needs to convey the passenger. Whatever way the OP goes about resolving it, this looks a complex one to resolve

robbeech

Established Member
Always heartening to hear of multiple ticket offices giving abominable service and charging the customer up incorrectly.
Full of staff that will be spitting blood when they get made redundant when they close them (I appreciate that in this case it’s a selection of ticket offices at major stations that won’t be closing anytime soon, but this in itself makes the situation worse).

I will defer to your experience. I think the main issue is West Midlands Trains not putting in writing arrangements for the onwards conveyance of a passenger stranded by their cancellation, having consulted the control of the company that needs to convey the passenger. Whatever way the OP goes about resolving it, this looks a complex one to resolve
There’s no obligation to put it in writing. If the railway wants to adopt this policy then it needs to do so without hindrance to the passenger. But it won’t do as it’s a chore for staff to write authority / permission to travel notices. It’s also convenient for them to refuse to help, which becomes more difficult with a bit of paper.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I personally probably wouldn't bother with complaining to WMT
I would - their cancellation was responsible for the problem and they abdicated responsibility by passing it on to a different company at a different station. They could have instigated alternative arrangements being confirmed. I have more sympathy with the Chiltern staff at Moor Street, but they too could have done more.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would - their cancellation was responsible for the problem and they abdicated responsibility by passing it on to a different company at a different station. They could have instigated alternative arrangements being confirmed.
And I wouldn't! :lol:

I can see where your coming from but to me it just wouldn't be worth the hassle if I was in the OPs shoes. But if the OPs wishes to pursue a complaint with WMT I certainly wouldn't criticise them for it!

Cypher

Thank you everyone for your views and expertise, kind of relieved to think im not the only one that finds this situation both tricky complex or unreasonable, so yh now its a case of contacting them and start the long winded process of blaming each others companies for this predicament, so just to touch on a few points that have been raised to provide further insight into what i didn't mention at the start:

@Mcr Warrior yh the ticket itself was changed from super off peak return via High Wycombe to a super off peak return via Birmingham.

@Class800 Stourbridge town was unmanned at that hour, but regardless as a break of journey was allowed on the return i decided to go from Stourbridge Junction as it was more coinvent to get to then Stourbridge Town, there was no difference in price between the two and in truth i only chose Stourbridge Town so i could travel on the little shuttle service on the outbound.

Now for everyone asking about the interaction at Stourbridge Junction, after rinsing my phone battery at looking at options of how i was going to fix this situation, i approached the office clerk at Stourbridge Junction station and explained to him about the situation, by far it was the best experience in the whole experience because he understood the situation i was in perfectly, he also went as far as looking at my alternatives in which he printed a Journey Itinerary for the 22:10 Birmingham New Street - London Euston Journey that as far as he was concerned Avanti would have to honor given the situation, but to also just double check with Moor street chiltern staff to confirm this, so despite the difference of opinions, yeah I'll go for the delay repay with them but in reality a little light complaint for putting me in the situation, but all things considered the station clerk was by far the most helpful at resolving my problem and despite the overall plan not going into practice, he was by far the only one that showed me real customer service and assistance.

I should also mention both the staff member at Moor Street and New Street, was shown this travel itinerary neither side cared and barely glanced at it.

Ultimately im more angry at the Moor street station interaction with the chiltern staff knowing full well i had very little option in availability to travel with my ticket as their company was the only operator to serve High Wycombe, yes arguably tough had the WMT train not been cancelled i would have made my connection, they legitimately did nothing, i approached the office clerk in the same polite manner that i did in Stourbridge, explained the situation, explained what had happened, She glanced at my ticket and said i can either wait 12.5 hours to travel with them or try my luck with new street, handed me my tickets back and started having a conversation with her colleague? She came up with no other suggestion but that, i know the practicality of even putting me on the first service is different because of the travel restrictions but i wasn't even given that as an option to resolve the problem, which at that point was the eye twitching frustration point, to be fair even only knowing now about Avanti charging me for the journey which they shouldn't have, im annoyed yes and will deal with that in due course, but im sorry i have absolutely no sympathy for the chiltern staff at Moor street.

Class800

Established Member
Avanti sometimes do give out complimentary tickets on complaints, quite unpredictable as to when they will and when they won't.

Haywain

Veteran Member
he printed a Journey Itinerary for the 22:10 Birmingham New Street - London Euston Journey that as far as he was concerned Avanti would have to honor given the situation, but to also just double check with Moor street chiltern staff to confirm this,
He could have written a note stating that the WMT train had been cancelled causing you to miss the last Chiltern train, with a 'request' that your ticket be accepted on the Avanti service, backed up by the station stamp. Show that sort of thing to almost any guard and they'll be happy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There’s no obligation to put it in writing. If the railway wants to adopt this policy then it needs to do so without hindrance to the passenger. But it won’t do as it’s a chore for staff to write authority / permission to travel notices. It’s also convenient for them to refuse to help, which becomes more difficult with a bit of paper.

It takes 10 seconds to scrawl something on the back of the ticket and put a ticket office stamp next to it. I've had that on a number of occasions.

Some TOCs (SWR is one, I think) have pads of "Back on Track" vouchers which they use for this. I think "in writing" should be mandatory, and staff should be strongly instructed never to say anything constituting permission to travel without it being in writing unless there is blanket acceptance.

robbeech

Established Member
It takes 10 seconds to scrawl something on the back of the ticket and put a ticket office stamp next to it. I've had that on a number of occasions.

Some TOCs (SWR is one, I think) have pads of "Back on Track" vouchers which they use for this. I think "in writing" should be mandatory, and staff should be strongly instructed never to say anything constituting permission to travel without it being in writing unless there is blanket acceptance.
If TOCs obeyed the rules there would be far fewer instances where they needed to write anything down.

For example when someone is on split advances with a ticket split at a connection point and they’re delayed. They can present both tickets, but are sometimes (thankfully not often) refused travel because of the split.

If the guard of the first train wrote something down this would eliminate this problem but this isn’t necessary because they’re the rules.

I fully agree that something bespoke, off route, off operator or perhaps during an evening peak where a ticket otherwise wouldn’t be allowed this would be useful but making it mandatory across the board will unquestionably result in a less favourable outcome for passengers as staff will just say no.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you everyone for your views and expertise, kind of relieved to think im not the only one that finds this situation both tricky complex or unreasonable, so yh now its a case of contacting them and start the long winded process of blaming each others companies for this predicament, so just to touch on a few points that have been raised to provide further insight into what i didn't mention at the start:

@Mcr Warrior yh the ticket itself was changed from super off peak return via High Wycombe to a super off peak return via Birmingham.

@Class800 Stourbridge town was unmanned at that hour, but regardless as a break of journey was allowed on the return i decided to go from Stourbridge Junction as it was more coinvent to get to then Stourbridge Town, there was no difference in price between the two and in truth i only chose Stourbridge Town so i could travel on the little shuttle service on the outbound.

Now for everyone asking about the interaction at Stourbridge Junction, after rinsing my phone battery at looking at options of how i was going to fix this situation, i approached the office clerk at Stourbridge Junction station and explained to him about the situation, by far it was the best experience in the whole experience because he understood the situation i was in perfectly, he also went as far as looking at my alternatives in which he printed a Journey Itinerary for the 22:10 Birmingham New Street - London Euston Journey that as far as he was concerned Avanti would have to honor given the situation, but to also just double check with Moor street chiltern staff to confirm this, so despite the difference of opinions, yeah I'll go for the delay repay with them but in reality a little light complaint for putting me in the situation, but all things considered the station clerk was by far the most helpful at resolving my problem and despite the overall plan not going into practice, he was by far the only one that showed me real customer service and assistance.

I should also mention both the staff member at Moor Street and New Street, was shown this travel itinerary neither side cared and barely glanced at it.

Ultimately im more angry at the Moor street station interaction with the chiltern staff knowing full well i had very little option in availability to travel with my ticket as their company was the only operator to serve High Wycombe, yes arguably tough had the WMT train not been cancelled i would have made my connection, they legitimately did nothing, i approached the office clerk in the same polite manner that i did in Stourbridge, explained the situation, explained what had happened, She glanced at my ticket and said i can either wait 12.5 hours to travel with them or try my luck with new street, handed me my tickets back and started having a conversation with her colleague? She came up with no other suggestion but that, i know the practicality of even putting me on the first service is different because of the travel restrictions but i wasn't even given that as an option to resolve the problem, which at that point was the eye twitching frustration point, to be fair even only knowing now about Avanti charging me for the journey which they shouldn't have, im annoyed yes and will deal with that in due course, but im sorry i have absolutely no sympathy for the chiltern staff at Moor street.
Thanks for those further details.

The reason why I would suggest contacting all three companies involved to complain is so that you are getting the ball rolling, should you need to escalate matters. You don't want to wait a month or however long to hear back from your complaint to Chiltern, for example, only to be batted off to WMT. By writing to them all at once, you are putting the ball in their court to sort it out amongst themselves.

If you are nevertheless left with a finger-pointing response from all sides, you have the option of taking them each to the Ombudsman (I don't think there's a procedure for taking multiple entities to the Ombudsman at once). And if that isn't successful - for example if the Ombudsman also wrongly tries to blame another company - then you still have the fallback option of jointly suing all 3 companies.

Hopefully it won't have to go that far, but I just wanted to illustrate that all isn't lost if you receive a rubbish response.

Cypher

Thanks for those further details.

The reason why I would suggest contacting all three companies involved to complain is so that you are getting the ball rolling, should you need to escalate matters. You don't want to wait a month or however long to hear back from your complaint to Chiltern, for example, only to be batted off to WMT. By writing to them all at once, you are putting the ball in their court to sort it out amongst themselves.

If you are nevertheless left with a finger-pointing response from all sides, you have the option of taking them each to the Ombudsman (I don't think there's a procedure for taking multiple entities to the Ombudsman at once). And if that isn't successful - for example if the Ombudsman also wrongly tries to blame another company - then you still have the fallback option of jointly suing all 3 companies.

Hopefully it won't have to go that far, but I just wanted to illustrate that all isn't lost if you receive a rubbish response.

Agreed and im totally grateful and thankful for yours and everyone else input, it definitely will be of value as i set my opening statement to them, there will be alot of finger blaming lets be honest, unfortunately that will just be companies pride or image to maintain. Chiltern will get an earache and a half, for the lack of effort to find a reasonable solution rather then suggest waiting 12.5 hours in a city i do not know and would definitely have an impact on my health had that situation occurred, Avanti as well for that sly situation at new street, WMT will likely just be the delay repay as as much as i was put into this predicament by their cancellation, they are also the only ones that offered tangible help in this situation and i can respect that effort, Avanti and Chiltern will eventually back down considering the massive potential public relations damage it will do to them if i was to mention not only did they abandon me but had i not been able to afford to pay the excess and ill be honest i was about 55pence from not being able to afford the excess at that precise moment, i would have either needed to attend a local hospital(if i could find one) or an ambulance, as pedantic as it sounds, based on the variations of my health that would have been the situation, but depending how far they push back is dependent on whether i play the health card as i find it distasteful to have to use that card personally speaking. But I'll update the thread as the journey with them progresses for those that are interested in how it turns out.

The sweet irony is the Avanti guard wouldn't even let me show him the excess fare ticket and accepted the original ticket on the train.

Thanks

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The sweet irony is the Avanti guard wouldn't even let me show him the excess fare ticket and accepted the original ticket on the train.
Depending on what you want out of the process, this is fairly important.

The Avanti guard, I think, acted correctly in letting you travel on your original ticket. So this is a powerful point to make to Avanti - some of their staff knew what to do, so please refund the unnecessary excess fare.

If all you are after is being put back in the financial position that you were entitled to be in before the railway's mistakes, then I think that can simplify matters; you make a Delay Repay claim to WMT and a complaint to Avanti for the excess fare to be refunded.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Your last para there, v clearly put to me, might well best be a cut and paste complaint letter / message to Chiltern customer services!

Cypher

*Update Part 1*

So per advice i contacted all 3 companies in a joint email on Friday(Chiltern Claim number issued Friday, WMT and Avanti claim number issued Monday for some reason), i do genuinely feel bad at the length in which i detailed it for the people that look into it, i called them out on their BS jointly and explained individually where their at Fault using the advice and points a lot of you have given me and again i thank you for that(for those that do wanna read what i said here it is, but its kinda long winded so don't exhaust yourselves).:

Any information below will be shared with Avanti West Coast and West Midlands Trains aswell, so that you are all given the same information

To Whoever picks this email up, Hi(and sorry),

I purchased a Super off peak return(Via Hight Wycombe) on Thursday 3rd February via the chiltern website for £33.10, conditions were via High Wycombe, I did it as a guest, not sure why as I have an account I think. The date of Travel for my outbound was on the 4th February for the 15:32 London Marylebone – Birmingham Snow Hill absolutely no problems whatsoever on your service on this occasion, I did find it very relaxing with smooth connections all around to Stourbridge Town, what I would call a perfect Journey, credit where credit due.

However my return journey on the 7th February that was confirmed when I purchased the tickets was the:

20:20 Stourbridge Town – Stourbridge Junction
20:26 Stourbridge Junction – Birmingham Snow Hill
21:10 Birmingham Snow Hill – London Marylebone (arrival 23:12)

However on Monday night(7th) I started my Journey at Stourbridge Junction as it was more convenient to get to, from where I originated from and I was well within my right as the condition of the ticket allowed a break of journey on my return portion, I arrived at approximately 20:00 – 20:06 where I spent a few minutes saying goodbye to a friend in the parking lot, I had no clear line of sight of the departure Boards at the station (i had previously checked if there was any problems with the trains at approximately 5-6pm and there was no disruption Barr a few changes of train formation on Chiltern routes and services that were inapplicable to myself) I will describe the chronological timeline as close to accuracy as possible and this will be shared within emails to both Avanti and west Midlands Trains as I will explain in further detail what had transpired and where all 3 companies are at Fault, I will add additional details of train service Headcodes to help provide a better position of clarity and Journey for when each respective company wants to do their fact checking and investigations and CCTV monitoring if that’s something each respective company wants to go to that petty level.

Intended Travel Journey:

20:26 Stourbridge Junction – Birmingham Snow Hill (2C84)
**12 Minute connection at Birmingham Snow Hill**
21:10 Birmingham Snow Hill – London Marylebone (arrival 23:12) (1H84)

1.Arrived at Stourbridge Junction car park approximately 20:00 – 20:06

2.From this position I had no clear Line of sight to any Departure Board, I spent a few minutes having a cigarette and saying goodbye to a friend.
3.I entered Stourbridge Junction Via the car park at I believe it was 20:09, I remember this precise fact as I saw 2C72 on Platform 2, the front leading Unit was an ex-chiltern 172/1, I Glanced over to the departure board to check for my train, that everything was still on schedule, when I saw 2C84 was cancelled(my train) it was already too late to jump on 2C72 as the doors were already being closed and even Usain Bolt would not have been able to get down the stairs and up the stairs to catch that train in the time it took for the doors to close and lock, for argument sake we will say 10 seconds between realization of my intended train being cancelled and opportunity to have caught 2C72 as the alternative option.
4. Upon this situation and coming to terms im effectively now screwed because the preceding train to Birmingham Snow Hill was 2S86 20:53 Service which would not get me into Birmingham Snow Hill until 21:23(13 minutes after my connecting and last valid train by the conditions of my ticket had left) I entered a state of anxiety and can be seen near chain-smoking just outside the station at the car park entrance rinsing my phone battery at looking at alternative options available as I was effectively stranded at this point because of the restrictions of my ticket only being valid Via Hight Wycombe.
5. Out of options I approached the Stourbridge Junction ticket Office at approximately 20:30 to see if they could assist me in the predicament, the Gentleman I spoke to understood exactly my predicament and didn’t hesitate to start helping me by looking at alternative options to get me back to London as fast as possible, he printed out a travel Itinerary at 20:33 for the 22:10 1B45 Avanti West Coast journey from Birmingham New street – London Euston service, He said they would have to honor my ticket given the situation I was put in at no fault of my own. He did mention as well to check in with the chiltern staff at Moor street to confirm this with them as it’s a Chiltern ticket.
6. I Boarded 2S86 2053 WMT service from Stourbridge Junction to Birmingham Moor Street arriving at 21:31, I exited via platform 1, and proceeded over the bridge to enter the main entrance where the ticket office was to confirm the plan with the chiltern staff member at the ticket counter, so approximately 21:35 at that point.
7. I approached your member of staff behind the counter, and politely explained the situation to her that I was in, she responded ‘’well we have no more trains to London, what can I do, there’s nothing we can do as it wasn’t our train that delayed you’’ I paused(more out of shock really) and then explained what the information that I was provided with by the Stourbridge Junction Ticket office and showed the Journey Itinerary they printed out for me and explained what was explained to me, that because of the situation of the WMT train being cancelled, missing my connection, that Avanti would have to honor the ticket because of the circumstance, she responded ‘’well you can try’’ that was the eye twitching moment for me, I asked one final question to her ‘’ if Avanti or northwestern don’t honor my ticket, when is the next train I can take?’’ ‘’09:55 or any train after’’ I responded ‘’sooooo 12 and half hours basically’’ she responded ‘’yeah’’ I thanked her for her time and proceeded for New Street station, I exited and proceeded along what google maps describes as ST Martin’s Queensway(Road) and entered the station after another cigarette outside.
8. I headed straight for the ticket office at New street station, I can be seen as the idiot trying to enter the exit only door until redirected to the other door by the counter staff inside, for further clarification, im also the one that allowed the station cleaner to proceed before me into the ticket office so anywhere between 21:40-21:55, I approached the gentleman at the counter on the left, and again explained everything that the WMT office clerk said to me at Stourbridge Junction, I showed him the tickets and the travel itinerary and he said ‘’he couldn’t understand why they sent me to new street’’, I repeated because of the situation I was put in by no fault of my own(i.e the cancelled train) the ticket would have to be honored, he must’ve missed my response because he responded with ‘’your lucky because I don’t think its that much more in difference of cost’’ and proceeded to check for the difference in price. His further comment was ‘’its going to be an additional £14.45. I straight up asked him ‘’so the only way your going to honor the ticket is if I pay an additional 14.45, would Northwestern not even honor the ticket considering it was their company that caused this situation?’’. ‘’yes because your ticket isn’t valid via this routing’’. My brain is fried at this point and said ‘’I need to consider my options’’ I left the queue and headed to the Hill street Entrance?(not 100% sure as I don’t know the area) had a cigarette and looked at coach options and prices( seeing I had no options for hours and prices I couldn’t afford in addition) I went back in to the ticket office which had closed despite on the window stating it was open until 23:00, there was staff working out of a single window to the side of the office, where I explained ‘’your colleague said I had to pay an excess?! She couldn’t figure it out what I was saying, but luckily the colleague that told me about the excess fare was coming out the back and helped her with the ticket change, my final comments to the office staff was ‘’so I can get on any train with this yeah?’’ ‘’yes’’ ‘’thank you’’ I headed for the red zone after checking the departure boards and showed my original tickets and the excess ticket to the gateline assistant who let me through, went to platform 1 and boarded 22:10 1B45 and sat down in coach B on the left at a window seat, when the guard came and checked my ticket, I showed him my original ticket and said ‘’I also have an excess ticket’’ but he responded with ‘’no that’s fine’’ and was half way down the carriage before I even got my excess ticket out my wallet. We arrived at spot on midnight on platform 5.

Additional Information:

To Aid in your own company investigations where possible, I have included train Headcodes, which will help your respective companies Identify where the problem was and which services I took to help aid a timeline journey, my personal description for those that want the petty level of checking CCTV: I was a white Man short hair even shorter on the sides, wearing a grey fleece with black shoulder pads, black tracksuit with a grey and red line down the side, black trainers, I had a black backpack on with a white brand on the back.

Train 2C84 was not cancelled throughout, it had only been cancelled between Kidderminster and Birmingham Snow Hill, platform announcement said because a person was taken ill on the train, but upon further investigation, the train was cancelled due to late arrival of the inbound service, which again further investigated, wasn’t delayed into Kidderminster, it was cancelled between Birmingham Snow Hill and Kidderminster, so basically 2C84 had started at Birmingham Snow Hill at 20:58.

Information for Headcodes and trains/Times was sourced from https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G06419/2022-02-07/detailed

I was not abusive or aggressive with any member of staff from any of your respective companies at any point, I was visibly anxious and frustrated, but I did not lay any of that emotion on any member of your respective staff for the pure and simple logical fact, they would not have warranted such treatment, I was not put in this position by any particular person or by them, trains are cancelled up and down the country everyday for various different reasons, delays happen, it’s a it is what it is situation, so I repeat no acts of aggression was shown to any of your respective staff for the logical reason stated above.

So apart from being a stranded passenger on the railway, because I had no option available to me barr to get back to London, I have multiple disabilities that are recognized as disabilities and protected under the Equality’s act 2010, the two I want you to recognize in this situation is MAAD(Mixed Anxiety and Depressive Disorder) and Diabetes type 1, now before I continue I will state that none of the staff members in all retrospective companies involved was aware nor did I disclose this information, because it was not warranted to disclose, but to understand why this is a complex situation let me explain why its connected, had you all abandoned me, which if it wasn’t for my finance you all did, that’s just fact, I had to potentially walk around a city that I did not know for 12.5 hours where I had no idea if there was a convivence or food outlet to purchase products or where that would be and that would have protected me from a real world scenario of having an hypoglycemic reaction, which would have happened based on a heightened emotional reaction to anxious situation, the cold weather, no toliet facilities, no phone battery(I don’t hold blame on any of your companies for this, that is entirely my fault and responsibility) lack of sugar products, had that excess fare been 56 Pence more then what it was, I would not have been able to afford the excess fare and would have been abadonaded until 09:55 the next morning, but it is reasonable to predict based on those factors alone I could have had a hypoglycemic reaction, and without a phone unable to call 999 for assistance or unable find a hospital, its plausible to hold a theory that I could have passed out at any point, and be ignored by the public as one of the symptoms of a hypo is aggressive attributes and anyone that could have tried to see if I was alright, could have taken my symptoms as an interpretation as I was passed out from being drunk and not bothered or got involved(I say this example from a previous occasion where this did happen) a guide has been included to show other symptoms https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/hypos.

Now why is this relevant especially considering this situation did not happen, I keep £15.00 on my card at all times for those kind of emergency situations for my health, which is why when told of the excess fare I hesitated in purchasing it, because the funds for the excess fare would have to be taken from that emergency allowance and I had to outweigh the balance aswell of would I be able to get to London based on how I was feeling(1 hour 50 minutes) or not.

Now at this point of this long winded complaint, your all thinking of your companies defensive positions in regards to this matter, pointing fingers and blaming each other, well just as much as your companies love fining and prosecuting fare dodgers for breaches of the NRCoT, im simply gonna paste the advice given to me in regards to this situation that has led to the format of this email complaint.
Now don’t get me wrong im not being inept in thinking this is some kind of weird conspiracy theory against myself or do I consider this discrimination on any level or the actions taken/given as, this is plain and simple incompetence, but it is very complex incompetence and to narrow it down to who is responsible is as complicated as the situation, because had the WMT service not been cancelled, this situation would not have happened, had chiltern offered assistance as they should have considering despite my ticket only being valid with their trains unless some sort of ghost operating company has started services via high Wycombe, my ticket is only valid on their trains, so they themselves broke the NRCoT by leaving me stranded, the exact same would be with Avanti, if I had not paid the fare and as described above I would have been stranded, but also to complicate the nature Avanti went 2 stages to far by 1.Financially Extorting my situation and 2. Intentionally committing fraud.

I will expand below in further detail on my position with each of the companies, and their failures. I would advise all your companies pay close attention to not just your own company but each others, because ultimately if I am not satisfied with all 3 of your companies responses, I will then go to the Rail Ombudsman, and again if I am not satisfied a claim will be made against all 3 companies jointly in a public courtroom, the question that you should be asking before responding to me, is how much does your company value its public image, but nonetheless I will be fair despite holding all the cards, in giving each company the opportunity to amend this wrong, because ill be honest I find this cancel culture distasteful and im not a Karen(sorry if your name is Karen while reading this), im not gonna shout and scream and say im never using your services again, because that would just be a straight up lie especially in the case of west midland trains and chiltern, so like I said I will give your companies the opportunity to remedy this situation because whether you agree or not, your all implicit and accountable in the situation that occurred above and that’s before I even get into the consumer rights law.

West Midland Trains:

Well the obvious factor here is if your train wasn’t cancelled, I wouldn’t be in the situation and you wouldn’t be reading this long email, however these situations happen, but credit due where credit due, your ticket office clerk was brilliant in assisting me and communicating with me, I don’t have his name, but he is worthy of praise given this situation, if only to just say maybe something official like a stamp on my ticket or something official to show that my train was cancelled meaning I missed my connection, but in all honesty that particular staff member was brilliant in trying to assist me in consideration to Avanti and Chiltern Staff, however 2Y20 From Birmingham New Street – London Euston was a reasonable endorsement in recognition that ultimately I was screwed by one of your trains, but that argument you can have with Avanti directly for why that wasn’t a possibility. For the record don’t hit me back that it was unreasonable because it was a different company, I couldn’t care less what your trading names are, your franchise agreement wasn’t split with the DFT.

Chiltern Trains:

I don’t even know where to begin with your staff member, like seriously, you actually have her in a frontline customer role, I had a WMT staff member looking at plausible options for me, even Avanti’s staff extorting and commiting fraud, was courteous enough to look at options for me, your staff member didn’t even look on her system for options, ‘’we have no more trains to London’’ like really?, that is one of those statements that makes you question your own sanity and IQ, because its so inconceivable to imagine if there was another train to London, the customer would be on that train instead of standing in front of you asking for help. ‘’What can I do?’’ For starters she can actually have looked like she gave any attention to the situation and predicament I was in:

She could have endorsed a ticket on another companies train the same as where WMT could have
She could have at least looked at what options were available on your system for the type of situation
She could have spoke to someone/rang someone for advice on the matter as to how to proceed
She could have used some basic common sense and situational awareness, if I could wait until 09:55 the next morning, why am I standing in front of you 12.5 hours prior to that time asking for assistance.

That in itself is its own pisstake, your gonna sit there and tell a customer there’s nothing you could do and then tell him the first train you can take is in 12.5 hours, your not even gonna offer the option of going on the first train in the morning as an effort(right in all fairness it wasn’t a plausible option, but as I’ve stated in this email on a few occasions, credit where credit due, had that option even just been offered maybe I would have been a bit more lightly on my position of your staff member’s actions) your gonna tell him come back in 12.5 hours so you don’t have to make an effort.

To go from a brilliant journey on the outbound to returning via this mess is beyond disgraceful.
now per the NRCoT, there is plenty that you as a company should have done way before the extremities of a cab or an overnight stay at a hotel:

You could have endorsed a ticket with Avanti
You could have endorsed a ticket with Northwestern
You could have endorsed my ticket so I could have boarded 2204 1V04 Birmingham new street - Reading XC service where I could have changed for a service to London Paddington which was within the PU restrictions of my ticket albeit not going via High Wycombe
You could have given me a coach ticket from either national express or Megabus who both had journeys available during the night

these were all actions that would be considered reasonable alternatives before going by what the NRCoT would consider reasonable in which being accommodation or a cab.

It is utterly disgraceful for your staff member to have acted or not acted in this way on any level to assist me.

Avanti West Coast Trains:

I think it should come at no surprise that you’re the last operator that I explain the level of incompetency and disgusting attitude, if your wondering why your even being mentioned, your company manages the staff at Birmingham New Street ticket office:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/commu...office and machines,Enquiries, 03457 48 49 50

Now I will state for the record the member of staff who ultimately issues the excess fare ticket was under the direction and assistance of the staff member that advised me that my ticket would only be honored if I personally pay the difference, because he had to end up assisting herself in processing the ticket, now I’ve explained in detail what transpired that night and even went to explain why I initially hesitated, now the extortion i.e qualifying assistance on the basis of an additional fare, as if that wasn’t an already bad enough PR image, let me explain why I also mentioned intentionally committed fraud.

The ticket was issued at Birmingham New Street, not Stourbridge Junction.
The Journey from Stourbridge Junction to Snow hill was done lawfully in line with my ticket.
Ignoring the extortion and failure to follow NRToC for a moment, why was I charged an excess from Stourbridge Junction when I was never going to make that journey and had already produced valid tickets and proved that the journey already made was valid, when the pure nature again ignoring your responsibilities under NRToC for a moment the excess should have only covered the journey where the excess was applicable, so in this instance Birmingham New Street – London Euston where Avanti sells a super off peak return between London and Birmingham for £38.00 and northwestern sells it for £25.50, so considering I was taking an Avanti service if my ticket was with chiltern and cost me £33.10, why was I not charged the excess fare between where excess applied and ended, not that you have any excuse whatsoever for charging me given the extraordinary situation I was in and given your responsibilities as a TOC to assist me without additional payment, why was I not charged £38.00 - £33.10 = £4.90 for the excess routing and area that ultimately the applicable excess fare would have been valid.
The shear fact Avanti or northwestern doesn’t offer a super off peak return to Stourbridge town from London Euston under the same booking times and conditions as when I booked my chiltern tickets and only offers an off peak return, your company fraudulently charged me for an excess journey I was not undertaking or had any need or want to take. So basically not only did you extort my position and was negligent in your responsibilities under the NRCoT, you fraudulently charged me an additional (£14.45-£4.90) £9.55 for a journey that did not exist or was going to exist.

So not only did you break the NRCoT in not assisting me unless payment was made, you also fraudulently charged me an additional excess where the application of that addition did not apply.

(Don’t worry everyone we’re getting there lol)

So WMT you had the best staff by far, who genuinely tried to assist me and was brilliant, however your company should have endorsed me at the very least on the northwestern Service.

Chiltern, as far as im concerned your staff member had given me as much assistance as a shop mannequin, the level of service or help given was disgusting, there’s no way in hell you can turn around and say to me that I was the first customer to have ever been in this position in the history of the company, but based on the interaction with your staff member it would seem as if I was.

Avanti(I apologize for the profanities used here) but your ****ed, your company is utterly ****ed it has no defense it can make that would be taken as reasonable under the circumstances I was in, you would have been in a stronger position had the additional fraudulent charge not been added, but with that in mind, you have condemned and made both WMT and Chiltern complacent in this act for the shear fact that had they assisted me in endorsement on other services or other comparable arrangements I would not have been in a position where I was being extorted by your company.

Now out of mutual respect I am giving all your companies the opportunity to resolve this with myself, I am not unreasonable, im fully aware of delay repay and who that falls under, but im sorry that resolution is not gonna cut it for this situation, yes because I’ve gone to this great length and stance to moan about 25% refund on my ticket(so roughly £8/9) plus Avanti’s bull**** excess charge, but I would seriously be looking at good will gesture complimentary tickets/vouchers for this mess, because on principal alone the damage and potential public opinion if this reaches a public courtroom could have some particular interesting results on public opinion on your companies tied in with legitimate legal defenses for fare dodgers that could use the angle that if your companies don’t have to obey the byelaws why should they. But ill leave that situation between the 3 of your own companies to decide what level of compensation is applicable in this situation, if im not satisfied with your final offerings well I’ve already made my position very clear in how I will proceed.

Many thanks for your time and energy in this matter.

Cypher

Update Part 2

Any responses i get ill put and edit into this one message as to not clog up the forum un-nessercarily.

West Midland Trains(Got back to me within 2 days)

Dear Cormac,

Thank you for getting in touch about the journey you made on 7 February. I am sorry that your journey was disrupted by the cancellation of our train and that you endured such an ordeal making an alternative journey back to London.

The train you wanted from Stourbridge Junction was cancelled because of delays caused when a passenger was taken ill on a train. I am sorry we were unable to give you more notice. Unfortunately, the nature of the incident mean we were unable to let passengers know sooner. I realise this started the disruption to your journey which you endured throughout the rest of the evening, for which I sincerely apologise. I appreciate your kind words about our member of staff at Stourbridge Junction and the assistance they tried to provide and I have shared this with the station management.

You are due compensation for the delay to your journey and as the train company you were due to travel with at the time your journey was delayed, we are responsible for providing this. Considering the circumstances, on this occasion I will arrange compensation to the value £47.55 to cover the cost of all of the ticket portions you paid for travel. Payment is available by BACS bank transfer. Please let me know the account number and sort code of the account you would like payment to. Alternatively, I can send you Rail Travel Vouchers to the value £47.55, which you can use towards the cost of a National Rail ticket purchase in the next twelve months. Please let me know which you prefer.

In addition, in recognition of the unpleasant experience you had, I will send you a complimentary day pass ticket which allows unlimited travel on our London Northwestern Railway and West Midlands Railway services on a day of your choice. This is valid until the end of 2023 and I hope you are able to use this to make a more pleasant journey in future.

I have not copied this response to Avanti West Coast and Chiltern Railways. This is because my contact would create a new case with each company, which may confuse matters for them providing a response to you. You are welcome to share this message with either train company. Otherwise, please let me know the case reference numbers you have been given by each train company so I can forward on this information to the correct cases.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Kind regards,

Class800

Established Member
So West Midlands have replied, have accepted the delay repay, and have provided a complimentary ticket (which can also be used on LNWR, because it is part of the same broader company). A positive response. The OP's excess fare situation has not yet been resolved it seems - this may be awaiting response from one of the other two companies involved

Is the OP satisfied with West Midlands' response - and did the response fail to address any aspect that was asked of this company in the OP's letter?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So West Midlands have replied, have accepted the delay repay, and have provided a complimentary ticket (which can also be used on LNWR, because it is part of the same broader company). A positive response. The OP's excess fare situation has not yet been resolved it seems - this may be awaiting response from one of the other two companies involved

Is the OP satisfied with West Midlands' response - and did the response fail to address any aspect that was asked of this company in the OP's letter?
The OP is receiving a refund of all ticket portions, including the excess fare.

It is for the OP to chase whether they want a non-response from Avanti and/or Chiltern about the principle of *issuing* the excess fare, but if it were me I'd consider the complaint closed and not waste further time.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The OP is receiving a refund of all ticket portions, including the excess fare.

It is for the OP to chase whether they want a non-response from Avanti and/or Chiltern about the principle of *issuing* the excess fare, but if it were me I'd consider the complaint closed and not waste further time.
It's not normally helpful to post 'I agree' messages - but on this occasion, I do agree. Unless the OP is absolutely set on getting an apology out of Avanti and/or Chiltern (which as @AlterEgo suggests, may be an uphill struggle) then I would accept the money, and take this one as a victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.